What will happen to Expats post Brexit ?

me too. They talk about stress today........
Sadly, an officer that I served with took his own life yesterday; his wife is also a serving UKBF officer. As you might imagine, the entire port is devastated. I was at work this morning when I took the phonecall and I was so shocked that I had to sit down lest my legs give way. I couldn't move for a few minutes afterwards. I buried an old friend and mentor last month, who died far too soon - she was still serving too...

]
Sadly, an officer that I served with took his own life yesterday; his wife is also a serving UKBF officer. As you might imagine, the entire port is devastated. I was at work this morning when I took the phonecall and I was so shocked that I had to sit down lest my legs give way. I couldn't move for a few minutes afterwards. I buried an old friend and mentor last month, who died far too soon - she was still serving too...
Bloody hell. Sorry to hear that :(

]
Bloody hell. Sorry to hear that :(
It's not the first suicide that I have known in the job and it probably won't be the last; I do not know what altered the balance of his mind to such a degree as to make him want to take his own life, but I know that the stress that both he and my erstwhile colleagues had been experiencing recently will not have helped.

Last edited:
It's not the first suicide that I have known in the job and it probably won't be the last; I do not now what altered the balance of his mind to such a degree as to make him want to take his own life, but I know that the stress that both he and my erstwhile colleagues had been experiencing recently will not have helped.
I had no idea that Border Force had such a problem with work related mental health

I hope the higher ups are working to address the issue

Sorry to hear that, HM.

I had no idea that Border Force had such a problem with work related mental health

I hope the higher ups are working to address the issue
The pressures can be relentless. The current DG is a decent chap who genuinely cares about his personnel, but as in any big organisation it is the middle management which can be a brake on progress. There has been much more mental health awareness in the last couple of years but tragically for some officers it has been too late.

I know that feeling, we had one at Waterloo back in the naughties. What was worse there was no depressive or abnormal behaviour. Three of my colleagues have died in service, another died at the beginning of the month, but he’d retired some time back. Still far too young. Commiseration anyhow

The pressures can be relentless. The current DG is a decent chap who genuinely cares about his personnel, but as in any big organisation it is the middle management which can be a brake on progress. There has been much more mental health awareness in the last couple of years but tragically for some officers it has been too late.
From what I've heard, it's a tough tough job.

You and your colleagues have my admiration

I'm divided with my views over suicide 'victims'. As far as I'm concerned, I have literally no compassion for the suicide knobs that do the deed but I share the devastation that the loved ones left behind feel. How can they kill themselves and leave behind people that cared for them! cnuts!
A good mate and colleague of mine offed himself a couple of years ago.

Came as a complete shock, as he was always the funniest, switched on and sparking man I knew.

I just couldn't go to his funeral and have to look his pregnant wife and young daughter in the eye, which still vexes me to this day.

And now back to topic.
Ex-pats after Brexit?
Unless Amazon.co.uk, EBay and Victoria's Secret decide against delivering to La Belle France then fcuk all will change in my life.
Oh, and also the 153,000 other Brits currently living in France who have not shit in their pants and applied for French citizenship as (apparently) nearly 3,000 have.
Their lives again will not change one iota.
Like many things, it says more about them than any perceived problems.
A bit like most Brexit themed threads.
Ask me in 245 days and I will hazard a guess that I will still have Jean-Noel as the neighbour opposite, Guy the butcher next door and Jean-Luc the baker next door but one.
Mirabelle plums and walnuts will still drop from my trees despite Brexit too.
I really do not envisage the Das Reich Division coming through this part of France again and ethnically cleansing us.

And now back to Project Fear....................................................

Last edited:

Latest Threads