What will happen to Expats post Brexit ?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
About 8 years me and my wife (together with dogs) settled down in a little village deep in the Bayerischer Wald. When the UK voted for Brexit we decided to apply for German citizenship.
After a couple of visits to our Landratsamt and a very helpful Beamter we took the Einbürgerungstest (Citizenship) which was dead easy and a Sprachprüfung to B1 level.
Flash to bang time was 20 weeks. Three weeks after receiving citizenship papers I now have GE Reisepass and Personalausweis.
Ok. Dumb question time. If you had decided not to go for citizenship. Would you still have to have an ID card and carry it.

Ok. Dumb question time. If you had decided not to go for citizenship. Would you still have to have an ID card and carry it.
There is no obligation to have a means of identity with you at all times. However drivers of motor vehicles must have their licences and an identity card with them.

PS. not really a dumb question.

La Belle France.
Not referring to ID cards but driving licence, insurance and what we all know as MoT.
Proof of ownership too if you really piss them off.
They even have mobile card readers at the roadside with the option of Visa/Mastercard being the first question.
No card or means of paying? Directly off to the factory and in the dingly dell until someone else turns up and pays it.
Even for a bald tyre.
Harsh but fair, and they have guns, tasers and loads of mates too.
That would sort Hartlepool out on a quiet day.

La Belle France.
Not referring to ID cards but driving licence, insurance and what we all know as MoT.
They even have mobile card readers at the roadside with the option of Visa/Mastercard being the first question.
No card or means of paying? Directly off to the factory and in the dingly dell until someone else turns up and pays it.
Even for a bald tyre.
Send them to Brum, Bradford and Luton

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
There is no obligation to have a means of identity with you at all times. However drivers of motor vehicles must have their licences and an identity card with them.

PS. not really a dumb question.
Ta
Been in and out of the place over the years, definitely going back to Berlin this year. Old habits, never carry ID. Never did.
Just wondering if it’s time for a change the way things are going

Ta
Been in and out of the place over the years, definitely going back to Berlin this year. Old habits, never carry ID. Never did.
Just wondering if it’s time for a change the way things are going
I got stopped a few times going into Germany, asked to prove ID. Posted to the Netherlands and driving a ditch registered car.

La Belle France.
Even for a bald tyre.
Same here in Spain except you only pay on the spot if you're not a resident. Residents have up to a week to pay and get half the fine knocked off if you do. On the spot fines were probably binned when someone went to the Guardia Civil Christmas party and found they were all being given Rolexes in their crackers.
Still, very rare to get stopped as they all have computer set ups linked to the various databases. Even Brit car details are now accessed.

As an aside, the only accident I've had over here was when some German on a moped decided to come up on my inside as I was signalling to turn right. Up rocked the GC and I was a bit wary after all the stories you here. First guy gets off his bike, takes off his helmet and lit up a fag which I thought wasn't a very good idea as the moped's fuel was all over the road.
Checked licence, checked car hire docs and then sat with me and helped me fill in the Euro accident report and said have a nice journey. Moped driver off to hospital with just a cut leg.

I really would love to, believe me.
Unfortunately they're French fascists, no jurisdiction in the various 'Stans of modern day UK.
Now go and find your own in modern day UK.
A bit of an ask I would suggest?
The UK has gone young man

Nope. No requirement to have formal GE ID. The only requirement was to register with your local authority (Gemeinde) as a EU citizen (as do all citizens).

Which European paradise is that then?
Same in Cloglonia. ID require at all times. As most have a driver's license with them its no problem but the youth need to have them when going out on the piss. No ID, no beer or smokes or at least that's the idea. Failure to produce ID at a roadside stop can result in a fine but normally, if the stopee isn't giving them any agro, the police will ask for something with a name on it, ie a bank card and then check that against the name of the registered owner.

Last edited:
I really wouldn't worry about UK actually leaving the EU.
It's never going to happen.
Albeit, if the result had gone the other way the paperwork, casting the UK into Brussels's hands in perpetuity,would have been signed the next morning while the ink was still wet.
Such is our "democracy."
And here we find ourselves.
British democracy in action.

'MPs will be able to force Theresa May to accept a fresh referendum on Brexit in a showdown vote as early as the autumn, a minister has conceded.

In a surprise admission, Steve Baker said the crucial vote on the exit deal would not – as expected – be a “take-it-or-leave-it” choice, because “parliament can always seek to amend motions”.

The Brexit minister agreed a possible amendment would be for parliament to only approve the withdrawal agreement struck with the EU “subject to a second referendum”.

The revelation delighted supporters of a further referendum, who launched a high-profile cross-party campaign for the vote only days ago.'

Brexit minister reveals how MPs can force Theresa May to accept fresh referendum
Labour Not Ruling Out Second Brexit Referendum, McDonnell Says
Brexit betrayal? UK 'legally entitled' to second EU referendum, Tory rebel claims

Bet all you want, the house will always win.

Latest Threads