What will happen to Expats post Brexit ?

Yes one of our engineers started dating somebody from the wrong family - eventually got busted for smuggling coke**
Obviously had him under surveillance for a while as they also rounded up people who visited him - especially at the weekend but didn't stay long.

They pinched him at the French Spanish border and they absolutely tore his car to pieces.
When I say his car I mean the company rental -

**He was on about a grand a week including expenses so he wasn't destitute
Well look on the bright side

There the approcyphal story of the Toff and the Roller came through Dover
Our lads were convinced he was "at it"
When they'd finished, they gave him the keys
He went out to find the car couldn't find it
came back into the office
" can't find the car."
"That's alright sir, it's in that skip over there, All the parts are there."

Yeah, they say no borders but there is an allowance for cigarettes from Spain into France for the duty paid ones.
A limit of 1000 (5 cartons) of cigarettes per car are allowed and, of course, there is still the border post between France and Andorra.
Crucial point I found to remember they count cartons whereas we count ciggies

" Anything to Declare"**
"200 " says I
"Step out the vehicle so we can search etc - thankfully a loaded Mrs L was in the back and managed to gabble away in that heathen lingo of theirs to clear up the confusion

**Being a none smoker this was a No - until it became clear that they didn't believe Brits would visit Andorra and not stock up - A "no" got a raised eyebrow and a demand to debus, It was easier to ensure there was at least one smoker in the group so we could declare something

PFGEN

GCM
Douanes have a red stripe down their trouser leg. I don't think Gendarmerie do
That's it, black stripe on blue trousers for the Gendarmes and black trousers for the Police if I remember rightly. Used to have a joke about the Belgian police. The Belgians had a Gendarmerie/Rijkswacht (now the Federal Police) who had a red stripe down their trousers and the local plod had a blue stripe. The idea being that this was how they knew which wagon to get into as they were similarly colour coded.

That's it, black stripe on blue trousers for the Gendarmes and black trousers for the Police if I remember rightly. Used to have a joke about the Belgian police. The Belgians had a Gendarmerie/Rijkswacht (now the Federal Police) who had a red stripe down their trousers and the local plod had a blue stripe. The idea being that this was how they knew which wagon to get into as they were similarly colour coded.
Now the Rijkswacht I met regularly and they were a blast. Had a major in charge of Brussels Midi who died tragically young back in the nineties or very early naughties. First met him in 94 on the inaugural runs for the Eurostar. PAF were a very kettle of fish though I was on good terms with them at Waterloo. Standing Joke after one incident where a punter tried to evade them was me accidentally stick size 12 in the way. Paf officer looking at me dispairingly "Pas de Mannottes". Me "Borrow mine."

Belgian plod aren’t terribly sharp in my experience interacting with them.
Flashing a different nationality passport to the registration nationality of your car confuses them

Belgian plod aren’t terribly sharp in my experience interacting with them.
Flashing a different nationality passport to the registration nationality of your car confuses them
The same effect with UK border Force, often.

*Russian Troll*
As you’d ‘love to know’, I’m absolutely certain the UK will leave the EU. The only unknowns are the exact terms of leaving.
How certain did you say you were?
The chances of blocking Brexit are RISING, claims Tony Blair as he urges Europhile Tory and Labour MPs to vote down deal with the EU

• Tony Blair has renewed his call for MPs and the public to reverse the Brexit vote
  • Ex-PM claimed it is getting more likely that the process of leaving can be blocked
  • Intervention comes with just a year to go until UK is formally due to leave the EU

Read more: The chances of blocking Brexit are rising, claims Tony Blair | Daily Mail Online

The chances of blocking Brexit are RISING, claims Tony Blair as he urges Europhile Tory and Labour MPs to vote down deal with the EU

• Tony Blair has renewed his call for MPs and the public to reverse the Brexit vote
  • Ex-PM claimed it is getting more likely that the process of leaving can be blocked
  • Intervention comes with just a year to go until UK is formally due to leave the EU

Read more: The chances of blocking Brexit are rising, claims Tony Blair | Daily Mail Online
B-liar the traitor?

I think should that happen, there may be an increased call for an Independent England.............. But hey we're democrats

Sounds like our brand of politician here in Africa. Democracy is only a good thing if it works in your favour.

What a slimy little smear of shit the creature is.

PFGEN

GCM
It really is hard to find a politician that I detest more than Tony Blair. There are certainly candidates for the title but the sanctimonious insipid cnut Blair is in a league of his own. He's angling for a job at EU central now that the peace keeping thing has fallen through. With a bit of investigation we'd probably be able to find a like to that piece of excrement known as Shiner. On his visits to various dictatorships its surprising that nobody took the opportunity to have him erased.

Let me guess, you’re one of the few Costa exiles that doesn’t use a uk address to keep claiming all the benefits avd keep full access to the NHS, or one iofv the very few that scam never occurred too.
I don’t know where in the UK you reside. I live in Italy and have a home in the UK, I bought it for my disabled mother to live in back in 1987.

I did register in the local surgery about 5 years ago as Was in the UK looking after her for a while.

Had to go back last year in December as she had a fall and needed someone to help her in the home.

Where I work I can get 8 days a year leave for this kind of reason but I need a letter from a UK Dr. stating what and why I was there for.

Going into the surgery to collect my letter, which I had to pay 30 pounds for?
There is now a computer touch screen with please enter you name .

For a laugh I did and do not exist on their data base . Suppose ?

1. As I have never used it they do a trawl and remove those who have not.
2. The EU does actually have a data base and share the data so when I registered with my local GP was removed.

Yet as with the last “most” expensive medical bills for non UK residents.

Pregnant Nigerian mother flys to USA “ to be with her family for the birth”. Refused entry as she had no money/ insurance for the birth.

Flys to the UK and starts having contractions so is taken to hospital. £ 500,000 Later .......

I’m guessing other Arrsers living as expats have paid in a full working life’s worth into the UK in national insurance. WTF should I not be granted NHS treatment.

Last edited:
Yup, totally agree.
Not forgetting that those of us on HMG pensions sourced in the UK are still paying UK tax on those wherever we live.
For the benefits of........?
I'm just now looking at the deductions on one of my old pay-slips, and in 41 working years it looks like I paid around £120,000 in Class D NI contributions for that privilege too.
Five years to push for me to be state pension age and fully expecting that to be means-tested by then, or even refused.

Yup, totally agree.
Not forgetting that those of us on HMG pensions sourced in the UK are still paying UK tax on those wherever we live.
For the benefits of........?
I'm just now looking at the deductions on one of my old pay-slips, and in 41 working years it looks like I paid around £120,000 in Class D NI contributions for that privilege too.
Five years to push for me to be state pension age and fully expecting that to be means-tested by then, or even refused.

There have been hints that state pensions will be offset against your HMG pension in due course.

Yet as with the last “most” expensive medical bills for non UK residents.

Pregnant Nigerian mother flys to USA “ to be with her family for the birth”. Refused entry as she had no money/ insurance for the birth.

Flys to the UK and starts having contractions so is taken to hospital. £ 500,000 Later .......

Istr that the airlines should not permit travel of pregnant females within a certain time frame. Also that use of a visa for the purpose advantaging themselves of nationality for their children is frowned upon. Seems to me the airlines foot the bill.

Istr that the airlines should not permit travel of pregnant females within a certain time frame. Also that use of a visa for the purpose advantaging themselves of nationality for their children is frowned upon. Seems to me the airlines foot the bill.
You have to have a letter from a doctor saying you are x weeks pregnant. Not many corrupt doctors in the third world......

Latest Threads