What will happen to Expats post Brexit ?

As an ex expat I visit an expat forum and see many spouting shite about how Brits will get a special deal for residency and employment etc , I cant see Brits being treated any different than any other non EU visitor post Brexit .
What do you reckon?

As an ex expat I visit an expat forum and see many spouting shite about how Brits will get a special deal for residency and employment etc , I cant see Brits being treated any different than any other non EU visitor post Brexit .
What do you reckon?
As an ex pat I saw the writing on the wall 2 years ago so used the fact that the UK was still in the EU to get my Dual nationality paperwork done.

Problem now is that when Brexit is completed I may have to choose which nationality to keep.

That is going to be a hard choice.

What do you reckon?
Apply for residency/citizenship now if you qualify. In the event of no deal you're spot on. I expect they'll get a deal if TMPM can work out how to tell the country we're coughing up before BoJo sinks the knife in.

As an ex pat I saw the writing on the wall 2 years ago so used the fact that the UK was still in the EU to get my Dual nationality paperwork done.

Problem now is that when Brexit is completed I may have to choose which nationality to keep.

That is going to be a hard choice.
Which is the second country? I'm thinking about doing that and apparently the bloody Spanish say you have to give up your original nationality. However the British Consulate in Barcelona some years back when I first thought about it said that unless you go to a consulate or embassy and renounce your British nationality then you will always retain it never mind what the others say.

Which is the second country? I'm thinking about doing that and apparently the bloody Spanish say you have to give up your original nationality. However the British Consulate in Barcelona some years back when I first thought about it said that unless you go to a consulate or embassy and renounce your British nationality then you will always retain it never mind what the others say.
Germany.

Married a kraut. Lived here ( and paid taxes) for over 8 years so allowed dual citizenship
( EU rules).
No idea what is going to happen to those rules when Brexit is final as the Germans don't like dual nationality.

Except for some Turks of course.

On a more serious note, there are around 2 million Turks in Germany, non EU citizens, and they are not worried, there are thousands of Russians also non EU and not worried, in Düsseldorf there around 1000 Japanese and also a growing number of Chinese who have no problems ref residence. What's the panic about Brits post Brexit?

AL1. I should add that Alfred E Newman is my hero. What me worry?:)

Last edited:
Germany.

Married a kraut. Lived here ( and paid taxes) for over 8 years so allowed dual citizenship
( EU rules).
No idea what is going to happen to those rules when Brexit is final as the Germans don't like dual nationality.

Except for some Turks of course.
Good luck, just don't tell them like I'm not going to do.

What do you reckon?
Current expats shouldn't see a change - grandfather rights so to speak
It will possibly be different for new comers post brexit - but that depends on whats decided and/or if the Eu wants to play its EU citizen card and encourage remainers to emigrate and become EU citizens**.
Theres also the fact the EU facilitates the movement of white European types over persons of colour - so a UK citizen will probably still be more welcome than a brown person.

** Scares other countries into staying, sets precedent and allows others to be EU not French / German etc

On a more serious note, there are around 2 million Turks in Germany, non EU citizens, and they are not worried, there are thousands of Russians also non EU and not worried, in Düsseldorf there around 1000 Japanese and also a growing number of Chinese who have no problems ref residence. What's the panic about Brits post Brexit?
Having to get a Aufenhaltselaubnis every 5 years?
You feel like an unwanted guest.

I have to say I get a childish amusement from producing my ausweiss (I spend a lot of time in banks and the like) and watching the security mong see the very non german name.

Apply for residency/citizenship now if you qualify. In the event of no deal you're spot on. I expect they'll get a deal if TMPM can work out how to tell the country we're coughing up before BoJo sinks the knife in.
Funnily enough - I was applying for French nationality prior to Brexit, on hold now though - because I dont want my decision being gathered into the anti Brexit scared expat - people no longer want to be British statistics - that rear their head - which may well be used to undermine the UK negotiating position.

My decision relates to simplifying a domestic issue - it has nothing to do with Brexit

Having to get a Aufenhaltselaubnis every 5 years?
You feel like an unwanted guest.

I have to say I get a childish amusement from producing my ausweiss (I spend a lot of time in banks and the like) and watching the security mong see the very non german name.
My Aufenthaltserlaubnis has "unbegrenzt" written on it, which is quite normal after around 5 years. So Anyone else in that situation just needs to sit back and wait because until the dust has settled the authorities just do not know what to do. Apart from which there are or will be just a few million refugees to keep them occupied anyway.

As an expat abroad you will still just be an expat abroad - equally an immigrant in the UK will still just be an immigrant in the UK

A basic difference will be that a Brit in an EU country will no longer be a standard EU expat, they will become a non EU expat
There may or may not be a reciporical arrangement that retains their status as was, or they will change to the status of a non EU immigrant/expat

There may be entitlements due to EU status that change, or that may be irrelevant due to residency

Many things subject to the terms under which we leave the EU, but that doesn’t mean Brits all get sent back and Europeans all get chucked out

Slightly different I know, but I think that Theresa May has missed a critical trick. She should just say, regardless of what the EU does, the UK government will honour the rights of EU migrants in the UK.
I think this would have won the tories more votes in June’s election, possibly keeping a majority.It may even have speeded up the whole migration point when it comes to negotiating for both sides.
So far Mrs May has alienated EU nationals living here.

Latest Threads