What will be different following the Coronavirus?

And half term? Have that did you?
For the hard of reading:
Schools have been open over Easter and the summer half term.

Didn’t answer the capacity question either did you. 10% in school? 5%?
I did.
"we're at the maximum we can have under government rules. If you don't like that then MAKE THE GOVERNMENT CHANGE THE RULES!"

Woking hard my Arrse. Good days graft would wipe half the teaching population out. The other half will be at a BLM protest.......
I'm not 'woking' hard because I'm not a ****. I've been in school as much as I am allowed to be to support my students. None of my colleagues have professed even a vague inclination to support BLM.

Enjoy the pension ********
The pension that takes more out of my pay than tax or NI? Thanks, given I ******* paid for it.

You bellend.

For the hard of reading:
Schools have been open over Easter and the summer half term.

I did.
"we're at the maximum we can have under government rules. If you don't like that then MAKE THE GOVERNMENT CHANGE THE RULES!"

I'm not 'woking' hard because I'm not a ****. I've been in school as much as I am allowed to be to support my students. None of my colleagues have professed even a vague inclination to support BLM.

The pension that takes more out of my pay than tax or NI? Thanks, given I ******* paid for it.

You bellend.
I’ll stand outside at 2000hrs tomorrow and clap for you.........

Zero sympathy here fella

Zero sympathy here fella
Knock yourself out. I'm not expecting sympathy.

I'm also not going to let people post absolute horseshit like " We are paying NHS staff, teachers, (the worst two offending groups of professions) in public services to drink tea" without being challenged.

I notice you can't / won't refute any of the points I made above as I actually know what I'm talking about. You were talking horseshit. You bellend.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
I'll be sat inside getting fit-shaced at 2000hrs tomorrow today. Much more worthwhile use of my time.

I wonder about the affect on buffet type restaurants and all inclusive food abroad. People won’t be able to help themselves anymore. It won’t be any longer an all you can eat buffet in a sense.
And cinemas will no longer be doing pick n mix sweets.Doh!!

vinniethemanxcat

On ROPS
On ROPs
At the other end of the scale to Ravers, my accountant just announced that he'd decided he didn't need his shiny little office in a shiny block, and was now saving £600 a month.

I wrote this back in March:

Well the prophecy appears to be fulfilling itself.

Having been working from home since the start of lockdown, I went back on Tuesday.

Ironically I’ve had to go in to work to join a working group who‘s task it is to implement a home working policy for the company post COVID.

As predicted at the start of all this shit, companies have realised that a massive chunk of their workforce can do their jobs from home. Expensive office buildings can be closed and costs saved. In the case of where I work, the less people we physically have at work, the safer it is. My company has decided that the days of 8-4 in the office, Monday to Friday are dead and COVID is the enabler to embrace a new way of doing business.

A good thing in my opinion.

People just drag out what they’re doing for 8 hours a day, instead of actually doing valuable work. Why shouldn’t work be task driven instead of hours driven? Pre COVID I was getting paid to walk between meetings for 2-3 hours of the working day. 90% of my job is emails, phone calls and meetings. All of which can be down from home and has been proven over the past 3 months. The remaining 10% of time Which is spent on plant, wearing a hard hat and shit, can be done with a carefully planned half day visit once a week.

A hot topic of discussion today was “the clipboard ninja”. We all have people at work who deliver **** all but are masters at looking busy all the time. Just walk around with a clipboard and no one will hassle you.

If you’re working from home and you have a set piece of work to deliver, you can’t really hide from it or make excuses about being busy doing something else. This makes it easier to weed out the shit people in your workforce and increase productivity. The clipboard ninjas will be swiftly found out and will have to sort their shit out or face the consequences.

So how do we do this?

Lots of legislation to consider, mental health issues for people not used to working alone and a surprising number of people who would rather just come to work.

Naively, I went into this thinking everyone would be overjoyed at the prospect of not having to commute and being able to work from home. Turns out a lot of people are massively against it for various reasons, a common theme being loneliness and adverse affects to mental health. Whatever we implement will still involve at least weekly face to face contact with the rest of their team, and whatever we move to will be better than what has been the norm for the last 3 months. But people still have there concerns.

Still hammering out the finer details of how this will work, but in my head I’m envisaging some sort of core hours where an employee must be contactable and available to come to a physical company location if required. (Maybe once or twice a week depending on job role). Zoom meetings can be conducted during this time.

The rest is up to the individual. As long as you’re contactable during the core hours and available to come in if needs be, then you can sit in your pants watching Netflix all day and smash out your work (writing reports, reviewing documents etc.) at night if that’s how you prefer to work. As long as it gets done and clear deliverables and objectives with realistic timescales are set, then anything goes really.

It’s a massive job. I’ve got 4 weeks to get something together that’s gonna massively change the lives of 14,000 people.

Anyone else doing something similar? How has your company embraced home working? Has it worked? What are the plans moving ahead? Benefits to homeworking? Downsides?
A couple of weeks ago I was listening to one of the Freakonomics podcasts while I was out running. They were talking about changes to the workforce/economy post Covid and the subject of homeworking was in there. One of them explained about some big US company, I can't remember who but it was a household name. They ran a trial of homeworking only a couple of years ago, where they asked for volunteers to give it a whirl. Just over half volunteered and the project began. After three months they surveyed the staff again and half of them wanted to come back to work for all the reasons you stated and a few more. One of the things they missed was keeping up to speed with the rest of their team and bouncing ideas off each other that led to better outcomes. It may be possible to tackle your heap of work at home, but there is less scope for picking up new stuff and you quickly lose track of what's going on across the plot.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
The company I work for has around 400+ office staff who hot desk (or did pre Covid) in office space around the St Pauls area. They decided last to quit renting the office space due to cost and invest in converting the 4th floor space in the data centre to office space for around 250, knowing that some will still be getting around the country and working from home. Work started on the refitting last Nov and the construction work carried on throughtout most of the lockdown, this is costing millions. Some wag came out with "Are they ever going to utilise the new office when finished?" seeing as the work is still going ahead and will be costing millions, I can guarantee that they probably will. (The company is American and will want their money's worth)

cymraeg

War Hero
I wrote this back in March:

Well the prophecy appears to be fulfilling itself.

Having been working from home since the start of lockdown, I went back on Tuesday.

Ironically I’ve had to go in to work to join a working group who‘s task it is to implement a home working policy for the company post COVID.

As predicted at the start of all this shit, companies have realised that a massive chunk of their workforce can do their jobs from home. Expensive office buildings can be closed and costs saved. In the case of where I work, the less people we physically have at work, the safer it is. My company has decided that the days of 8-4 in the office, Monday to Friday are dead and COVID is the enabler to embrace a new way of doing business.

A good thing in my opinion.

People just drag out what they’re doing for 8 hours a day, instead of actually doing valuable work. Why shouldn’t work be task driven instead of hours driven? Pre COVID I was getting paid to walk between meetings for 2-3 hours of the working day. 90% of my job is emails, phone calls and meetings. All of which can be down from home and has been proven over the past 3 months. The remaining 10% of time Which is spent on plant, wearing a hard hat and shit, can be done with a carefully planned half day visit once a week.

A hot topic of discussion today was “the clipboard ninja”. We all have people at work who deliver **** all but are masters at looking busy all the time. Just walk around with a clipboard and no one will hassle you.

If you’re working from home and you have a set piece of work to deliver, you can’t really hide from it or make excuses about being busy doing something else. This makes it easier to weed out the shit people in your workforce and increase productivity. The clipboard ninjas will be swiftly found out and will have to sort their shit out or face the consequences.

So how do we do this?

Lots of legislation to consider, mental health issues for people not used to working alone and a surprising number of people who would rather just come to work.

Naively, I went into this thinking everyone would be overjoyed at the prospect of not having to commute and being able to work from home. Turns out a lot of people are massively against it for various reasons, a common theme being loneliness and adverse affects to mental health. Whatever we implement will still involve at least weekly face to face contact with the rest of their team, and whatever we move to will be better than what has been the norm for the last 3 months. But people still have there concerns.

Still hammering out the finer details of how this will work, but in my head I’m envisaging some sort of core hours where an employee must be contactable and available to come to a physical company location if required. (Maybe once or twice a week depending on job role). Zoom meetings can be conducted during this time.

The rest is up to the individual. As long as you’re contactable during the core hours and available to come in if needs be, then you can sit in your pants watching Netflix all day and smash out your work (writing reports, reviewing documents etc.) at night if that’s how you prefer to work. As long as it gets done and clear deliverables and objectives with realistic timescales are set, then anything goes really.

It’s a massive job. I’ve got 4 weeks to get something together that’s gonna massively change the lives of 14,000 people.

Anyone else doing something similar? How has your company embraced home working? Has it worked? What are the plans moving ahead? Benefits to homeworking? Downsides?
Asked my driver manager if I could download trainsim and drive from home.

Called me a ****

I reckon he was on salad that night and the Mrs dentist said no blowies

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Asked my driver manager if I could download trainsim and drive from home.

Called me a ****

I reckon he was on salad that night and the Mrs dentist said no blowies
Your days are numbered anyway.

The only reason train drivers still exist is because you have a strong union protecting your job.

10 years tops before they’re all automated.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A couple of weeks ago I was listening to one of the Freakonomics podcasts while I was out running. They were talking about changes to the workforce/economy post Covid and the subject of homeworking was in there. One of them explained about some big US company, I can't remember who but it was a household name. They ran a trial of homeworking only a couple of years ago, where they asked for volunteers to give it a whirl. Just over half volunteered and the project began. After three months they surveyed the staff again and half of them wanted to come back to work for all the reasons you stated and a few more. One of the things they missed was keeping up to speed with the rest of their team and bouncing ideas off each other that led to better outcomes. It may be possible to tackle your heap of work at home, but there is less scope for picking up new stuff and you quickly lose track of what's going on across the plot.
Yep. I think the only way this works is with a healthy mix of face to face interaction and home working.

Weekly team meetings etc.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As an aside, since I’ve been talking about working from home, all my targeted adds are for “be your own boss” dropshipping, entrepreneur, franchise, pyramid scheme bollox.

Every ******* third post on Facebook now. Some stock photo of some **** on a yacht talking about quitting your job and becoming a Forex trader or some shit.

cymraeg

War Hero
Your days are numbered anyway.

The only reason train drivers still exist is because you have a strong union protecting your job.

10 years tops before they’re all automated.
In all honesty its more like 30. They are working on it but the majority of infrastructure is victorian and it requires loads of integration and more importantly massive amounts of money.

Just look at the balls up of hs2. Hence 30 years as whatever they try to implement will go massively over budget.

Docklands light railway was designed and built with automation in mind so it can be and parts of the core through London are automated but still need drivers on board for when it all goes Pete tong so you don't have loads of trains stuck sat there.

Been out to the shops today to pick up some bits for the new hound which arrives a week on Tuesday. Shops rammed and people milling around. 1m distance between people? forget it. Government may as well give up with its restrictions

Awol

LE
Been out to the shops today to pick up some bits for the new hound which arrives a week on Tuesday. Shops rammed and people milling around. 1m distance between people? forget it. Government may as well give up with its restrictions
As humans we don’t get closer than one metre to others anyway.

To reduce distancing to 1 metre is to effectively abolish distancing completely.

As humans we don’t get closer than one metre to others anyway.

To reduce distancing to 1 metre is to effectively abolish distancing completely.
people squeezing past each other with shopping trolleys doesn't count?

Latest Threads