What will be different following the Coronavirus?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I wrote this back in March:

As we start to see non essential personnel working from home and national infrastructure ramps down to an acquiescent state, I think a lot of big organisations like the MOD and NHS will realise that a lot of its workforce do absolutely **** all.

After all this shit blows over and things return to normal, questions will be asked.

“We managed to survive the last 4 months without a massive IT projects team, do we really need one moving forward?”

Public sector middle managers in cheap suits and pointy shoes are gonna ******* get it.

Other than that, a few changes to working practices. More flexible hours, more mobile working, more of a task based approach to work as opposed to a time based one.

Instead of coming to work from 9-5 and dragging out whatever you’re doing to fit those hours, you’ll do what you need to do and work the hours you need to work in order to get the task done.

This is the kick *********** that industry needs to embrace new flexible working practices.
Well the prophecy appears to be fulfilling itself.

Having been working from home since the start of lockdown, I went back on Tuesday.

Ironically I’ve had to go in to work to join a working group who‘s task it is to implement a home working policy for the company post COVID.

As predicted at the start of all this shit, companies have realised that a massive chunk of their workforce can do their jobs from home. Expensive office buildings can be closed and costs saved. In the case of where I work, the less people we physically have at work, the safer it is. My company has decided that the days of 8-4 in the office, Monday to Friday are dead and COVID is the enabler to embrace a new way of doing business.

A good thing in my opinion.

People just drag out what they’re doing for 8 hours a day, instead of actually doing valuable work. Why shouldn’t work be task driven instead of hours driven? Pre COVID I was getting paid to walk between meetings for 2-3 hours of the working day. 90% of my job is emails, phone calls and meetings. All of which can be down from home and has been proven over the past 3 months. The remaining 10% of time Which is spent on plant, wearing a hard hat and shit, can be done with a carefully planned half day visit once a week.

A hot topic of discussion today was “the clipboard ninja”. We all have people at work who deliver **** all but are masters at looking busy all the time. Just walk around with a clipboard and no one will hassle you.

If you’re working from home and you have a set piece of work to deliver, you can’t really hide from it or make excuses about being busy doing something else. This makes it easier to weed out the shit people in your workforce and increase productivity. The clipboard ninjas will be swiftly found out and will have to sort their shit out or face the consequences.

So how do we do this?

Lots of legislation to consider, mental health issues for people not used to working alone and a surprising number of people who would rather just come to work.

Naively, I went into this thinking everyone would be overjoyed at the prospect of not having to commute and being able to work from home. Turns out a lot of people are massively against it for various reasons, a common theme being loneliness and adverse affects to mental health. Whatever we implement will still involve at least weekly face to face contact with the rest of their team, and whatever we move to will be better than what has been the norm for the last 3 months. But people still have there concerns.

Still hammering out the finer details of how this will work, but in my head I’m envisaging some sort of core hours where an employee must be contactable and available to come to a physical company location if required. (Maybe once or twice a week depending on job role). Zoom meetings can be conducted during this time.

The rest is up to the individual. As long as you’re contactable during the core hours and available to come in if needs be, then you can sit in your pants watching Netflix all day and smash out your work (writing reports, reviewing documents etc.) at night if that’s how you prefer to work. As long as it gets done and clear deliverables and objectives with realistic timescales are set, then anything goes really.

It’s a massive job. I’ve got 4 weeks to get something together that’s gonna massively change the lives of 14,000 people.

Anyone else doing something similar? How has your company embraced home working? Has it worked? What are the plans moving ahead? Benefits to homeworking? Downsides?

Last edited:

Having been working from home since the start of lockdown, I went back on Tuesday.

Ironically I’ve had to go in to work to join a working group who‘s task it is to implement a home working policy for the company post COVID.

As predicted at the start of all this shit, companies have realised that a massive chunk of their workforce can do their jobs from home. Expensive office buildings can be closed and costs saved. In the case of where I work, the less people we physically have at work, the safer it is. My company has decided that the days of 8-4 in the office, Monday to Friday are dead and COVID is the enabler to embrace a new way of doing business.

People just drag out what they’re doing for 8 hours a day, instead of actually doing valuable work. Why shouldn’t work be task driven instead of hours driven? Pre COVID I was getting paid to walk between meetings for 2-3 hours of the working day. 90% of my job is emails, phone calls and meetings. All of which can be down from home and has been proven over the past 3 months. The remaining 10% of time Which is spent on plant, wearing a hard hat and shit, can be done with a carefully planned half day visit once a week.

A hot topic of discussion today was “the clipboard ninja”. We all have people at work who deliver **** all but are masters at looking busy all the time. Just walk around with a clipboard and no one will hassle you.

If you’re working from home and you have a set piece of work to deliver, you can’t really hide from it or make excuses about being busy doing something else. This makes it easier to weed out the shit people in your workforce and increase productivity. The clipboard ninjas will be swiftly found out and will have to sort their shit out or face the consequences.

So how do we do this?

Lots of legislation to consider, mental health issues for people not used to working alone and a surprising number of people who would rather just come to work.

Naively, I went into this thinking everyone would be overjoyed at the prospect of not having to commute and being able to work from home. Turns out a lot of people are massively against it for various reasons, a common theme being loneliness and adverse affects to mental health. Whatever we implement will still involve at least weekly face to face contact with the rest of their team, and whatever we move to will be better than what has been the norm for the last 3 months. But people still have there concerns.

Still hammering out the finer details of how this will work, but in my head I’m envisaging some sort of core hours where an employee must be contactable and available to come to a physical company location if required. (Maybe once or twice a week depending on job role). Zoom meetings can be conducted during this time.

The rest is up to the individual. As long as you’re contactable during the core hours and available to come in if needs be, then you can sit in your pants watching Netflix all day and smash out your work (writing reports, reviewing documents etc.) at night if that’s how you prefer to work. As long as it gets done and clear deliverables and objectives with realistic timescales are set, then anything goes really.

It’s a massive job. I’ve got 4 weeks to get something together that’s gonna massively change the lives of 14,000 people.

Anyone else doing something similar? How has your company embraced home working? Has it worked? What are the plans moving ahead? Benefits to homeworking? Downsides?
Er, Ravers, without revealing personal details just what do you do? I know you're involved with nuclear power but they don't let you anywhere near the big red buttons.

Edit - homeworking is awesome. Homeworking while being expected to also do a full working day in work, then do the other working day at home is ******* shit. Signed the NEU (previously NUT and ATL).

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Er, Ravers, without revealing personal details just what do you do? I know you're involved with nuclear power but they don't let you anywhere near the big red buttons.

Edit - homeworking is awesome. Homeworking while being expected to also do a full working day in work, then do the other working day at home is ******* shit. Signed the NEU (previously NUT and ATL).
I manage a big maintenance and engineering team.

Obviously the lads with boots on the ground who are in there turning spanners will need to be on plant more than me. But is there a reason why they can’t stay at home and come in to do specific jobs?

Currently we pay them to sit around in a workshop for most of the day waiting for all the things to line up for a job to start.

Everyone else who drives a desk 90% of the time (planners, design engineers, project teams, paper pushers, asset care engineers) can do the majority of their job at home.

giatttt

Old-Salt
The mental health issue is a biggie. Being part of a team and feeling valued matters, those two things can be undermined by home working. Team calls, virtual group hugs, and organisational bonding sessions can help

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The mental health issue is a biggie. Being part of a team and feeling valued matters, those two things can be undermined by home working. Team calls, virtual group hugs, and organisational bonding sessions can help
There is another ex navy bloke in this working group and there is a marked difference between our attitude and everyone else’s.

I suppose we’re just used to being told what to do and doing it. We’re a bit more mentally robust as well and used to change.

We’re both eagerly throwing out ideas and talking about how this is gonna be awesome, while other people are bringing up issues about people feeling isolated and topping themselves.

Needs some attitude readjustment on our part.

“**** ‘em, if they can’t take a joke they shouldn’t have joined up,” doesn’t seem to cut it in the outside world.

We’re both eagerly throwing out ideas and talking about how this is gonna be awesome, while other people are bringing up issues about people feeling isolated and topping themselves.

Needs some attitude readjustment on our part.

“**** ‘em, if they can’t take a joke they shouldn’t have joined up,” doesn’t seem to cut it in the outside world.
Funnily enough I spoke to a few teachers today. They unanimously agreed (without me prodding them) that the teaching unions had behaved like bellends and if it wasn't for the legal cover they wouldn't be union members.

Edit - sample size of 5 people including me. p = many

Last edited:

if they use tech in their jobs at home you can monitor how much time they spend in their productivity based applications - it’s pretty straightforward these days and you can generate reports with the worker sees and their managers ‘today you spent your time doing the following things’ - very easy when the applications they use are cloud hosted. It’s a bit big brother, but the technology is there.

as for the hospitals, they are empty. We are paying NHS staff, teachers, (the worst two offending groups of professions) in public services to drink tea. Nothing will happen because of the strangle hold of the unions and the politicising of the NHS.

as for the hospitals, they are empty. We are paying NHS staff, teachers, (the worst two offending groups of professions) in public services to drink tea. Nothing will happen because of the strangle hold of the unions and the politicising of the NHS.
Source? What are teachers doing? I don't even like tea but I wish you'd told my boss I could sit about drinking beverages rather than working every day from home. Then there was going in to work during the holidays to supervise key workers' children. Plus I've been in school every day over the last fortnight. Crack on spouting shit.

So how do we do this?

London Stock Exchange surveyed CEOs of the FTSE250 companies and 78% of them came back and said they plan to cut their workforce by 25%. Ive always said you can chop 20% and the organisation will feel no impact. 5% more will be felt I’d say - it’s a numbers game.

expect 30-40% cut in estate. Lots of office space will close in the next 18 months.

Big cuts will start from August when employers have to pick up 20% of the costs of furloughed workers.

I reckon 5-7m unemployed. An absolute shit storm is coming

Source? What are teachers doing? I don't even like tea but I wish you'd told my boss I could sit about drinking beverages rather than working every day and being in school every day over the last fortnight. Crack on spouting shit.
not public domain information I’m afraid so I’m not telling. Some of the NHS data is public domain - look at the backlog of patients not being treated. If people aren’t being treated then what are the staff doing?

chunks of the source data are there if you go looking.

so you are telling me your school is rammed with kids? B0ll0cks it is

not public domain information I’m afraid so I’m not telling. Some of the NHS data is public domain - look at the backlog of patients not being treated. If people aren’t being treated then what are the staff doing?

chunks of the source data are there if you go looking.
I didn't ask about the NHS. I asked about this horseshit:
We are paying NHS staff, teachers, (the worst two offending groups of professions) in public services to drink tea. Nothing will happen because of the strangle hold of the unions and the politicising of the NHS.

So your post was nothing to do with teachers at all? Or you were talking shite?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
No, wheat beer should only be served in bottle. Poured in the glass, then the bottled rolled on the bar by serving person to disturb remaining hefe. Then added to glass. In Germany, anyway, hopefully from buxom waitress.
Weissbier vom fass? Nein, danke. Sort of thing the Dutch would do.
I seriously doubt anything would improve it.
Thank God for Guinness.

We are paying NHS staff, teachers, (the worst two offending groups of professions) in public services to drink tea. Nothing will happen because of the strangle hold of the unions and the politicising of the NHS.

A) Impending Disaster. Check.
B) Super secret Sources. Check.

I stand by what I said.

How many pupils are in your school at the moment and what is the total student number? Are you 10% of capacity, 15% or twenty percent? The rest of the kids are playing x box and you lot are waiting for your summer holidays to start.......... tell me you wont be taking them. Go on. Give us all a laugh

giatttt

Old-Salt
I suppose we’re just used to being told what to do and doing it. We’re a bit more mentally robust as well and used to change.

More Falklands veterans have died at their own hand than at that of the Argentinians. The stats since Tellic 1 and Herrick 1 are no better. Despite your penchant for dodgy landrovers I expected better from you.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Is there a business opportunity there? For a mere twenty to thirty quid a van will park outside your home, play loud music that you do not like, and deliver a pint to your doorstep every so often.

The deluxe package also includes having urine and vomit sprayed around your lavatory, and getting a black eye.
We’ve a local here which delivers draught pints to your front door. The only problem is that the patrons of the particular bar you wouldn’t be keen on any of them turning up at your front door, much less knowing where your front door is.

Edit. The front door usually being what the estate agents describe as ‘kerb appeal’.

Last edited:
I stand by what I said.

How many pupils are in your school at the moment and what is the total student number? Are you 10% of capacity, 15% or twenty percent? The rest of the kids are playing x box and you lot are waiting for your summer holidays to start.......... tell me you wont be taking them. Go on. Give us all a laugh
You are a bellend. Feel free to catch up here - https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/poor-uk-education-standards.161079/page-131#post-10121750

We are setting work for every child at every time they are expected to have that lesson (ie. following the normal timetable). We are also expected to make videos explaining the concepts in a lesson. We are also expected to host 'live lessons' where students can dial in via Zoom to ask questions. That is in addition to students being able to ask questions via email and the work sharing app.

We are then expected to come into school at a minimum of twice per week for 3 hour lessons (ie. 1.5 hours teaching, break, 1.5 hours teaching) on top of the previous expectations. I've been in every day for the last 3 weeks.

We are also expected to mark and give meaningful feedback on at least one piece of work submitted per class per week. I was quite happy at the start of the lockdown as my workload was dramatically reduced. Now it's back up to normal levels or a bit more but in a much more annoying way.

It doesn't matter that a minority (and it is a minority, even among the bellends) choose to spend the time playing on their Playstations, teachers have been working hard. Schools have been open over Easter and the summer half term.

So yes, we've been working and yes, we are entitled to a holiday. Get fucked :)

Edit - and we're at the maximum we can have under government rules. If you don't like that then MAKE THE GOVERNMENT CHANGE THE RULES!

Last edited:
You are a bellend. Feel free to catch up here - https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/poor-uk-education-standards.161079/page-131#post-10121750

We are setting work for every child at every time they are expected to have that lesson (ie. following the normal timetable). We are also expected to make videos explaining the concepts in a lesson. We are also expected to host 'live lessons' where students can dial in via Zoom to ask questions. That is in addition to students being able to ask questions via email and the work sharing app.

We are then expected to come into school at a minimum of twice per week for 3 hour lessons (ie. 1.5 hours teaching, break, 1.5 hours teaching) on top of the previous expectations. I've been in every day for the last 3 weeks.

We are also expected to mark and give meaningful feedback on at least one piece of work submitted per class per week. I was quite happy at the start of the lockdown as my workload was dramatically reduced. Now it's back up to normal levels or a bit more but in a much more annoying way.

It doesn't matter that a minority (and it is a minority, even among the bellends) choose to spend the time playing on their Playstations, teachers have been working hard.

So yes, we've been working and yes, we are entitled to a holiday. Get fucked :)

Edit - and we're at the maximum we can have under government rules. If you don't like that then MAKE THE GOVERNMENT CHANGE THE RULES!
So 6 weeks holiday then........... and you’ll be taking it. And half term? Have that did you?

Didn’t answer the capacity question either did you. 10% in school? 5%?

Working hard my Arrse. Good days graft would wipe half the teaching population out. The other half will be at a BLM protest.......

Enjoy the pension ********

Last edited:

Latest Threads