What will be different following the Coronavirus?

Dunno about you lot but our shopping habits have changed. We've been avoiding supermarkets and sticking to the local greengrocer and butchers. The quality of the produce is a factor of 10 better - meat not pumped full of water. Ok its a bit more expensive but the quality is fab. We won't be returning to the supermarket for meat and veg.

The other thing this has caused us to do is ask the question 'do we really need that?' I'm sure like everyone, the external household spend has dropped through the floor as we aren't going out, so the only thing we are spending money on real is food and ammunition. OK - food. I've got my full quota of ammo:).

I suspect our spending patterns are going to change after this. I reckon we will see an acceleration in the demise of high street retailers as well. I'm sure that will have already been pointed out in this thread. Work patterns also. Me and the mrs are both working at home. With companies shelling out shit loads of money on estate, I wonder how many businesses will review their policies on home working as well as travel policy.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Different forces use different software/systems, some use same. I can take calls and directly transfer to certain forces that use our system-but not others. We started incorporating what3words into our system around 6 months ago. I gather other forces and emergency services are utilising it too, although I'm unsure which ones.

If I took a call off you and all you could provide me with was an OS grid ref, I'd just input that directly into our mapping software and it would come up and I'd use that as "locus". We work off 4 screens, each operator does it to preference. Mine going left-right is Emails / internet with around 3 different tabs open,various excel stuff, then despatch programming we use, then mapping, with another program that is an interface with another system we use, then the phone screen which has various directories, options etc...switch to "not available" etc. When you phone--I dont get an option whether to answer if i'm in "available" just get a beep and a 1 second preamble of ringing tone, then incoming number will be displayed on the phone screen and i'm connected.

Ambulance are a pain in the arse as they have to follow VERY STRICTLY a question set. I will phone them and say Amb required at just after Junction XX MX northbound somebody just seen jumping off bridge. Next question will be "Is the patient breathing and conscious" then "any bleeding"!

*This is drifting from thread now, gonna ask a tame mod to clear it up, I'm more than happy to answer any questions by PM.
When I had a SVT (Supra Ventricular Tachycardia to the unitiated), I got asked for race, I told them what difference does it make if I'm black or white, if I'm having a f'kin heart attack (which I thought I was).

Rumpus

Crow
Hi All

Breaking cover now - Been lurking.

Pleased I found this place - lots of helpful gen.

I was unsure about a pension, joined RAF as a boy in 1975, turned 18 in 1976 and discharged 5 years 10 months later at start of 1982.

Got the letter from Veterans UK in Feb and duly completed their Form 8B to claim a preserved pension 2 years late.

I know my timing stinks.

However, I have heard nothing back in past 5 weeks.
Called them today and was told that ALL pension applications have been put on indefinite hold.

WTF

Hi All

I was unsure about a pension, joined RAF as a boy in 1975, turned 18 in 1976 and discharged 5 years 10 months later at start of 1982.

Got the letter from Veterans UK in Feb and duly completed their Form 8B to claim a preserved pension 2 years late.

I know my timing stinks.

Called them today and was told that ALL pension applications have been put on indefinite hold.

WTF
Unless your pension has COVID-19, you're in the wrong forum. Try here and you might get some help.

Oh and welcome to ARRSE.

Rumpus

Crow
Cheers

Thankfully not infected.

All those times in a noddy suit and mask paid off.
Strict contamination control in home and carefully prepared ration runs with masks and gloves, look a bit of a twat perhaps but I have no intention of being on sick parade .

Hi All

I know my timing stinks.

WTF
Wrong area of the forum?!

Hi All

I know my timing stinks.

WTF

Yes that is correct the MOD will not be paying out any new pensions until they have clawed back all the money spent on the Co-Vid pandemic, however those such as myself who have been in receipt of a immediate, will continue to be paid on the dot at the end of each month

Cheers

Thankfully not infected.

All those times in a noddy suit and mask paid off.
Strict contamination control in home and carefully prepared ration runs with masks and gloves, look a bit of a twat perhaps but I have no intention of being on sick parade .

Yeh you have nailed here son

Archewell - Previously know as Archie

When I had a SVT (Supra Ventricular Tachycardia to the unitiated), I got asked for race, I told them what difference does it make if I'm black or white, if I'm having a f'kin heart attack (which I thought I was).
That question was probably asked so they can fill their quotas.
On the other hand, different races can have different reactions to various medications.
For example, a strong painkiller called Nolotil on prescription in Spain has the warning not to issue it to British and Irish because it has a detrimental effect on bone marrow. No idea why just Brits and Irish.
There's some type of affliction that is only seen in Cypriots but, of course, there are a lot of Cypriots in UK and some medication can increase the risk.
Beta blockers and ACE inhibitors can be more dangerous for black people.

Still, in your case, it was more than likely to be a quota filling exercise. When, as a practice manager, Labour introduced targets for GP to achieve, one of them was recording the "ethnicity or race" on their records. GPs got paid extra if they got over 95% of their patients records showing this. If not, they lost money.
Probably the same in hospitals if successive governments have continued with the Blair gov system.

Dunno about you lot but our shopping habits have changed. We've been avoiding supermarkets and sticking to the local greengrocer and butchers. The quality of the produce is a factor of 10 better - meat not pumped full of water. Ok its a bit more expensive but the quality is fab. We won't be returning to the supermarket for meat and veg.

The other thing this has caused us to do is ask the question 'do we really need that?' I'm sure like everyone, the external household spend has dropped through the floor as we aren't going out, so the only thing we are spending money on real is food and ammunition. OK - food. I've got my full quota of ammo:).

I suspect our spending patterns are going to change after this. I reckon we will see an acceleration in the demise of high street retailers as well. I'm sure that will have already been pointed out in this thread. Work patterns also. Me and the mrs are both working at home. With companies shelling out shit loads of money on estate, I wonder how many businesses will review their policies on home working as well as travel policy.
Totally different here in Spain. Normally get fruit, veg etc from the local markets and meat and so on from an independent butcher.
Since the lockdown, all markets have been closed (coming up to 4 weeks now) and local butchers have also closed because the are, mostly, very small and it would be impossible to maintain the "social" distancing.
Only shops open are the supermarkets. Fortunately, some of them have independent butchers and fishmongers in them but there's no other option but to buy the fruit, veg and so on from there.

Be glad when the markets can open again as the supermarket prices are about double for fresh stuff.
You're right with the "do I need that, though". We would normally be around various shops, household items, DIY, furniture shops and so on. With none of them open the only thing we've spent any money on is food (oh, and my fags).

In our high street, there are something like 30 bars and restaurants, quite often busy as hell and we would stop for a coffee and maybe a bit of cake. Go out for a meal at least once a week followed by the pub.
Now, nada, zilch. No coffee shops, no bars, no restaurants. I have a feeling a lot of these establishments will not open again after the lockdown. Same with some of the shops, quite small ones without a huge turnover so will probably not be able to weather the storm. The big ones in the shopping malls will be alright but the smaller ones not so much, especially those paying rent, Business rates have been stopped until next week but doubt the rent has.

Totally different here in Spain. Normally get fruit, veg etc from the local markets and meat and so on from an independent butcher.
Since the lockdown, all markets have been closed (coming up to 4 weeks now) and local butchers have also closed because the are, mostly, very small and it would be impossible to maintain the "social" distancing.
Only shops open are the supermarkets. Fortunately, some of them have independent butchers and fishmongers in them but there's no other option but to buy the fruit, veg and so on from there.

Be glad when the markets can open again as the supermarket prices are about double for fresh stuff.
You're right with the "do I need that, though". We would normally be around various shops, household items, DIY, furniture shops and so on. With none of them open the only thing we've spent any money on is food (oh, and my fags).

In our high street, there are something like 30 bars and restaurants, quite often busy as hell and we would stop for a coffee and maybe a bit of cake. Go out for a meal at least once a week followed by the pub.
Now, nada, zilch. No coffee shops, no bars, no restaurants. I have a feeling a lot of these establishments will not open again after the lockdown. Same with some of the shops, quite small ones without a huge turnover so will probably not be able to weather the storm. The big ones in the shopping malls will be alright but the smaller ones not so much, especially those paying rent, Business rates have been stopped until next week but doubt the rent has.
Its going to be a bit different in Aus by the sounds of things. Just spoken to my bro whose daughter lives in Perth. Australia are in lock-down until the end of the year apparently. Anyone coming into the country is out into quarantine on a island for a month before they are let onto the mainland.

Its going to be a bit different in Aus by the sounds of things. Just spoken to my bro whose daughter lives in Perth. Australia are in lock-down until the end of the year apparently. Anyone coming into the country is out into quarantine on a island for a month before they are let onto the mainland.

I see newspapers saying the opposite, with both Australia and New Zealand having very small numbers affected or died

Both countries having strong and early measures in place

Archewell - Formally known as Archie

I see newspapers saying the opposite, with both Australia and New Zealand having very small numbers affected or died

Both countries having strong and early measures in place

Archewell - Formally known as Archie
In which case I wonder who is correct - the newspapers or someone living in Australia?

Any other Australians checking in can perhaps shed some light on the matter

The canal towpath round here is full of grown men wearing tights running past wheezing out virus laden sputum in all directions. Apparently lockdown means " struggle into those shorts you bought in 1990 go out jogging "
My running route is full of fat cnuts choking their way round in shit 90s phys kit.

I generally use the local grocer and butcher anyway, and I've heard lots of people (new customers) in the 2m apart queue saying exactly this.

The market in Chester is open, too, and as word's got around same there.

The fishmonger on the market pointed out that it stayed open throughout the Great Plagues of the 14th century, and the Civil War siege, and is quite proud of this episode.

Although come to think of it, opening during the actual plague was probably, in retrospect, a blunder.

Australia in lockdown until the end of the year, is that correct ! that is another 9 months

Archie