What will be different following the Coronavirus?

endure

GCM
Yes. Low earnings translate to poor(er) living conditions, and non-indigeneity would tend to indicate greater mobility. Neither great things when you’re trying to corner a contagious virus.

To forestall your next point, no, it isn’t racist. It’s epidemiology.

I didn't have a next point. I was asking a serious question but good for you for making assumptions about something I didn't say.

If there's any 'winners' when the dust settles, my bet is that it'll be eastern Europe. The infection/death rate in the northern states in particular, is low. Why is this? Could it be their countries are not bursting at the seams with cheap migrant labour and huge immigrant communities that contribute nothing?

I spent much of the last 14 days assessing construction sites in London against the guidelines;

...which l modified slightly to improve resistance to infection.

All "my" sites were scoring very highly.

For political reasons, they're now shutting down; l suspect my positive reports were unexpected and unwelcome.

40% of the workforce are immigrants.

They, until today, were earning good money for doing a good job on projects critical to UK future.

Now they're unemployed and on a huge-80%- pay cut if they stay.

Cue mass exodus of good guys back to Romania etc.

When the current stupidity dissolves, who is going to build stuff?

I didn't have a next point. I was asking a serious question but good for you for making assumptions about something I didn't say.
You’ve got my apologies then. I’m just bored of identity politics.

Thing is this really is true, they normally live on the Great Orme and come down into the town when the weather is really bad

They must have taken notice of the lack of humans on the streets and thought the streets were theirs to claim

RWF Corporal Major walts x 7

I spent much of the last 14 days assessing construction sites in London against the guidelines;

...which l modified slightly to improve resistance to infection.

All "my" sites were scoring very highly.

For political reasons, they're now shutting down; l suspect my positive reports were unexpected and unwelcome.

40% of the workforce are immigrants.

They, until today, were earning good money for doing a good job on projects critical to UK future.

Now they're unemployed and on a huge-80%- pay cut if they stay.

Cue mass exodus of good guys back to Romania etc.

When the current stupidity dissolves, who is going to build stuff?
I'm guessing the Romanians will because - they won't go / get back there, nor want to given the circumstances effectively worldwide.
Gen question...did the Romanian workforce actually bugger off back over there? Normally decent types when you extract the carwash / and of course not remotely Romainian Roma into the equation

I'm guessing the Romanians will because - they won't go / get back there, nor want to given the circumstances effectively worldwide.
Gen question...did the Romanian workforce actually bugger off back over there? Normally decent types when you extract the carwash / and of course not remotely Romainian Roma into the equation

These are good guys.

Mostly here 2-5 years, well qualified, hard working and all round good eggs.

They're all on flights home before Sunday, and very demoralised about it.

Mate of mine is running a site in Gloucestershire, mostly Italian contractors, same there.

Romanian supervisor told me he's going home because he can't trust UK system - he's a PAYE/NI employees - to keep him fed, so back to Cluj. There's a dozen of them on flights, some on a Eurostar/coach arrangement.

I hope they come back they're fukcnig good workers and solid straight boys.

Not until the lessee defaults.......and then you'll only get the "scrap" value. There's a glut of used but servicable aircraft out there.
That's fine, a combination of a lapsed ppl and extensive X-plane experience I'll be able to fly at least one of them inverted unter London bridge!

"what's your postcode!"
Quickest way with software in use (in my force anyway) to get location. Hear disturbance and panic...find out where first...then if line clears an least you know shit is going down and WHERE.
People in extreme situations remarkably are able to respond to specific questions as opposed to "whats happening" type questions.

999 call "need police now please!"

will mostly get "Whats your postcode"

"okay..smith street..? what number?"

Then units can be despatched and additional info added later.
If cant remember postcode...previous calls from same number...and other stuff can be utilised...as well as just asking for full address. Not often possible if in middle of big ruckus though.

That's when if you accidentally dial 999 people still get called back and asked for details. If ever you later dial 999 in an emergency and your mad ex-partner grabs your phone off uyou and says "it was an accident...bye!"...we will have something start working off.

Gen dit...few months ago...about 3 999 calls made, all that could be heard was a female moaning in background. No record on system of that number being used before. CLI info located it to the exact house. Officers went and door was unlocked so they went inside. Woman was in a deep sleep with her brand new mobile phone in bed next to her- still not switched over sim cards. Had done the emergency call thing in her sleep. It apparently took some convincing to make her realise exactly what had happened.
I remember a good friend of mine who told the story about how she rang 999 to report her neighbour's house on fire, she gave the address and then the operator began asking for more details, about how to get there, were there any particular details about the route that the driver would need to know.

My friend, in a bit of a tizzy, got into an argument with the operator, "How can you not know where Montgomery Road is? What are ye doing asking stupid questions like that? Is this your first day? It's literally down the street from you, your fellas must pass it two or three times every day? Big Mickey McCrystal who worked in your station up to last year, remember him? He lived in Montgomery Road, well he moved a few months ago. How the hell do you not know where Montgomery Road is? Is there no one else there? I know! Ask Bill Fleming, his aunty lives in the street next to Montgomery Road, he'll know, is he on tonight? Oh, never mind I can hear them coming now. Silly girl, imagine not knowing where Montgomery Road is!"

She admitted feeling a little foolish when Bill Fleming, who was on the call, assured her that as soon as she gave the address the emergency was called and the crew was on the way, the operator who was in a call centre 70 miles away was simply, and patiently, trying to ascertain if there were any other important and useful details.

My friend, God bless her, had always assumed that if you phoned 999 you were put through to a phone operator in the actual fire station.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
That's fine, a combination of a lapsed ppl and extensive X-plane experience I'll be able to fly at least one of them inverted unter London bridge!
Tower Bridge maybe, try it under London Bridge and you'll emerge the other side minus the wings!

Is there not scope for keeping a log of repeat timewasters and then some sort of appropriate punishment later when things have calmed down a bit? Not the actual mental cases but the normal people who are a bit bored and want attention.
The Department of Work and Pensions would surely have a detailed list already?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
The Department of Work and Pensions would surely have a detailed list already?
The ones on that list are already used to laying around doing fuckall all day, so a lockdown wouldn't phase them at all!

Make sure to fill up before you set off for Lake Havasu City.

Quite honestly, I don't expect your inverted stunt attempt to end in anything but a fireball.

Already been done though I thik. There are serving plod on here who will attest to how actually real this is - even though it's posted as humour:

@wetsmonkey
Sounds pretty typical. Sadly.

endure

GCM
The ones on that list are already used to laying around doing fuckall all day, so a lockdown wouldn't phase them at all!

10 years in the merchant navy as a radio officer has left me well set up for any lockdown they want to throw at me ;-)

Latest Threads