What will be different following the Coronavirus?

engr172

War Hero
Book Reviewer
<Rant mode>

Riiiight >

Getting a bit thredders now with the hagiography of NHS workers. Yes, they do a brilliant job with a shite top heavey management structure that eats away at their frontline capabilities but - there are now several overt attempts of nurses to "celebritise" themselves with their tearful offerings on social media-which are eagerly lapped up by an otherwise news-starved general media...the general public are going through a "must be seen to do something to help" stage - akin to the WW2 donate your garden railings to the war effort scam but-

and I'm more than happy to be corrected here-

The NHS has binned off many / most non-essential other items on their agenda during this so...what is the extra workload? Can somebody please explain to me why (some) nurses are now portraying their role as being like turning up for a shift in a FOB in Afghanistan? Yes, I know they will have many colleagues who are off sick / self-isolating because of this too - so do their paramedic colleagues. Unless I'm missing something though...I dont seem to see many ambulance crews / paramedics dripping all over social media about their plight.

I gather there was some big gesture of standing on your doorstep last night and clapping for the NHS? Why???
It's purely self-aggrandisement for the people doing so. "Look at me-doing my bit". I saw on my local FB page a rather embarrassing scene where a paramedic bird was essentially "doorstepped" as she left for work and some twat filmed it-her leaving in her car as the whole street clapped. Her face was beetroot and she looked embarrassed as hell.

I personally think the ones with the short straw in all this so far are the poor buggers who work in the supermarkets - they have to bear the brunt of all that is wrong with our society and...they are having just as much (if not more) exposure to those infected / potentially infected too.

I think all this "lets make heroes out of everybody" bollocks needs to stop right now.

We will look like North Korea in 2 years because - government will have bowed to media and popular opinion and-anyone who self-identified as a "key worker" will be given a medal.

I eagerly await having my neck wound back in with tactical use of facts, wit, logic and ad hominem :)
I agree. Bin wagon drivers.....an essential tool in stopping spread of disease. Wagon drivers getting scoff to shops. No ones getting a hard on for them. Nurses, doctors, care assistants, all very admirable, and doing a tough job. They aren’t the only ones though.

I agree. Bin wagon drivers.....an essential tool in stopping spread of disease. Wagon drivers getting scoff to shops. No ones getting a hard on for them. Nurses, doctors, care assistants, all very admirable, and doing a tough job. They aren’t the only ones though.
My point exactly. People are doing their jobs. Why do we, as a society -always seek to hail some sector as heroes? Two months ago it was Schofield and his bum-funnery antics and...here we are back at the NHS again. DM website has pictures of some scenes at Royal Liverpool hospital last night during this applause. There's quite a tasty looking piece who clearly enjoyed her time in the spotlight pulling all manner of poses.

Edit: Coronavirus UK: Prince George leads clap for NHS carers

Bird in front of big No Smoking sign...then a few further down...same again but different location

I think a binmen formation 'builder's site bottom' display is in order to counter the attention!

I think we are heading back to where everyone is seen in public wearing some form of uniform days.
I'm certainly seeing a lot more of "shall we go shopping together in uniform" by non-paramedic NHS staff.

It's all bollocks as well. People now realise how facile and superficial the celebrity world is, and how little it actually counts to our daily life requirments but...3 months after this has blown over..people will be stressing about whoever on LoveIsland is wearing a clashing thong...etc.

Last edited:
Not only that, there's a whole slew of private sector mobs supporting the NHS & other emergency services which have chinned off the jobs they don't want to do - Mrs JT0475 is a nurse who looks after kids at home with complex medical needs - private sector as that all too messy and complicated for the NHS. I am responsible for all personal mobile technology used by a major metropolitan police force in the UK & their control room comms - without my mob they'd fall apart (they're effing useless - can't even remember a PIN which they set themselves & then wipe their devices after 5 attempts, for example, and can't follow simple instructions) - and I am sure many of us can provide similar examples.
Personally, just want my bins emptied today (heroes), shopping delivered tomorrow (with bog roll, kitchen roll & milk), and the NHS numpties who lost my stepdaughters fathers personal items after he died of Covid 19 to find them (his iPhone, iPad and wallet all went missing after he passed away on Monday evening...)

pete49

Old-Salt
If I worked in a supermarket I’d be a bit miffed , they get stick from customers that would get you arrested if you were a NHS worker , I get it the praise the NHS are getting , they deserve it but the media should include others
think what would happen if store staff walked out , there would be looting and rioting

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Well the staff here are pulling silly hours to clear wards, create new wards install beds, ramped up training to ICU standards.
All medical staff in non clinical roles are now training to go back to clinical.
All to get ready for the expected surge.
I am not exaggerating when I say Doctors are shìtting themselves at what they think is coming.
Talking to former retail colleagues the abuse they have received because of the public's panic buying and the government and managements slow response to it all has been astonishing.

Well the staff here are pulling silly hours to clear wards, create new wards install beds, ramped up training to ICU standards.
All medical staff in non clinical roles are now training to go back to clinical.
All to get ready for the expected surge.
I am not exaggerating when I say Doctors are shìtting themselves at what they think is coming.
Talking to former retail colleagues the abuse they have received because of the public's panic buying and the government and managements slow response to it all has been astonishing.
You will be in contact with all sectors of the NHS. What's your opinion on the nursing side being the most proliferate wrt social media and emotion?, as opposed to other sectors who are equally as constrained and under same pressure or...is it just that the media has 'focussed' on them (which would not surprise me either).

I'm thinking along the lines of that nurse crying on facebook the other day that made the news, my local fb page had some nurse with a "Anyone come home and just cried" post with a picture of her with damp eyes (yes, she would have got it) And the now obligatory-lets go shopping in pairs in full NHS rig with lanyards/ID and badges aflowing.

I have not seen any firemen shopping in Tesco, or ALDI checkout girls for that matter. Or bus drivers.

Bottom line first...

I'm saying nurses might be milking it a bit.
Happy to be corrected.

@Fang_Farrier too as he's SAS of the NHS

Last edited:
Not doing much fb at moment, fed up with the sheer amount of fuçkwit who work in a shoe shop that know better than the worlds doctors.

Oh and if I don't seem my usual cheery self, it's because I am 9 shifts in so far on 16 hour days stopping what seems like half of Romania trying to steal the hand gel dispensers.
They don't seem to understand social distancing or the fact if one of their kids is sick it only needs mum or dad to accompany the kid, not up to 15 "Uncles" and "Aunts" and all their kids.
Nightmare to remove them.
This is first quiet moment for the last week, actually managed to sit down to eat breakfast today.

Oh and if I don't seem my usual cheery self, it's because I am 9 shifts in so far on 16 hour days stopping what seems like half of Romania trying to steal the hand gel dispensers.
They don't seem to understand social distancing or the fact if one of their kids is sick it only needs mum or dad to accompany the kid, not up to 15 "Uncles" and "Aunts" and all their kids.
Nightmare to remove them.
This is first quiet moment for the last week, actually managed to sit down to eat breakfast today.
You might be dealing with another onslaught soon. Volunteer Irish fantasists pretending to be medical superheroes.

You might be dealing with another onslaught soon. Volunteer Irish fantasists pretending to be medical superheroes.

It'll be like threads next week, Give me an SLR.

Chalkythedog

Old-Salt
It's interesting that finally there are a few stirrings of 'what happens after' among the hysteria. For instance, how will all the money the chancellor's doshing out be repaid? A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking real money. What happens when a power worker or two feels like a fortnight off? Who is going to get the harvest in? Will all the east Europeans shipped in to work in barely sustainable businesses go home when their employment ceases? Interesting.

At a more esoteric level, I rather liked this throw-away line from Guido:

'This crisis will further cement the NHS as the replacement for the Church of England as the official state religion… '

God help anyone who now disses OurNHS.

doc80905

War Hero
We will look like North Korea in 2 years because - government will have bowed to media and popular opinion and-anyone who self-identified as a "key worker" will be given a medal.
@BugsyIV .. the BIG nurse type bloke
Can't wait, I'm going to wave around my "key worker" letter from the Dept of BEIS like a VC. In fact I demand a dedicated shopping hour, medals and anything else that's going. I'm an 'ero don't you know :smile:

<Rant mode>

Riiiight >

I gather there was some big gesture of standing on your doorstep last night and clapping for the NHS? Why???

It's purely self-aggrandisement for the people doing so. "Look at me-doing my bit". I saw on my local FB page a rather embarrassing scene where a paramedic bird was essentially "doorstepped" as she left for work and some twat filmed it-her leaving in her car as the whole street clapped. Her face was beetroot and she looked embarrassed as hell.

I eagerly await having my neck wound back in with tactical use of facts, wit, logic and ad hominem :)

@BugsyIV .. the BIG nurse type bloke
I’d put it down the the gov/media trying to create the wartime spirit ‘we are all in this together’ only its 2020 and the country is full of foreigners who don’t give a fcuk about Great Britain or being British...................

Latest Threads