What will be different following the Coronavirus?

Sunak has the self-employed set firmly in his sights concerning parity in paying tax compared to employed once the dust has settled with COVID19.

I can see the fat knackers who can barely breath with all the fat they are carrying not making it though this.

My house backs on to the coast path and the amount of people there these days shows how utterly cretinous people are, we need to get some exercise so lets drive to the coast and walk along the harbour.....like several hundred others, and stop and have a chat.

My mate walks his dogs along there very early doors and he says numbers are up 300-500% even in the small hours. I get the feeling all the couch potatoes who have made a point of never ever doing any exercise of any description are seeing coffins and wreaths in their near future.

For those who don't get wiped out by it I hope they do stick with it, all you have to do so read IIRC jarrod's posts from some time back about the fun it is dealing with the bariatric types and the burden they are. It could be the right time to hammer the message home about looking after yourself and taking responsibility for your lifestyle choices. If our politicians have the balls.
I have a friend who works in the health service in Surrey as an Occupational Therapist, and who is as lefty liberal on these things as you can imagine.
Even she says that the solution to the obesity crisis is through self discipline – basically eating and exercise.
Very simple equation, one is fuel for the other: whatever you put in, you need to burn off.
To put it another way, only eat what you need.

Last edited:
Will this be the end of the ‘Sneering at Fat People’ and @ScaleyAlbereto’s Fat Munters thread? Will Scaley have to post in the Brunette thread as a result of the global wipe out of fat people?
I kid you not, the programme on BBC1 on Sunday morning, immediately after Andrew Marr (a.k.a. Nightmarr scenario – the alarmist prat), which is run by Nikki Campbell amongst others, had a feature (I didn’t watch, but saw the strapline on top of the screen, when it was muted):
“should fat shaming be a criminal offence”.

FFS x 10.

Someone wise – I have forgotten who – was quoted on Radio 4 : “if you thought austerity after 2008 was tough, you have seen nothing comp with what is coming after this…”
Aye, millions of people looking at universal credit as their only means of subsistence until June. Ouch.

mcphee1948

Old-Salt
Do you think that Covid19 is a plot

Well, the first aid training I undertook as a young Spacey in '93 coupled with my glider training is coming in useful. The NHS have taken me on as an temporary flying doctor.

MsG

Well, the first aid training I undertook as a young Spacey in '93 coupled with my glider training is coming in useful. The NHS have taken me on as an temporary flying doctor.

MsG
That's nothing. I was given a broken copy of the game "Operation" in 1989, aged 5.

I'm now the assistant Surgeon General.

Yup, I left the British Army 48 years ago, in 1972.
And in that time, the whole physicality of humankind has changed beyond all proportions. All the stuff I was trained to treat no longer occurs. No more broken bones, no more traumatic limb-tears, no more head-wounds needing stitching, no more ripped-open arteries, no more pneumo-thoraces, no more emergency child-births, no more sudden heart-attacks etc. None of that. It all lies almost a half-century in the past.

Now we have a whole set of new medical cases that never occurred in the past. Imagine that! Thanks for the medical update, Gunge_Thickie.:-D:-D:-D

MsG
Whilst you were once a "trained medic" I might suggest that due to skill fade, forgetfulness and improved techniques in the last half century, you may be a tad out of touch, and probably best suited to the more generalist roles that the volunteer army has to offer.

I did a team medic course 10 years ago; I wouldn't think of calling myself a team medic or putting myself forward for such duties.

And there are a whole new raft of medical cases nowadays. Such as COVID19.

Last edited:
That's nothing. I was given a broken copy of the game "Operation" in 1989, aged 5.

I'm now the assistant Surgeon General.
Pah! Amateur! On my survival instructor course in 1985 I was shown how to put in a drip. I have just been head-hunted as the chief consultant anaesthetist for the whole of the EU.

NSP

LE
When this is done with we might have a politer society. Going for my one permitted walk a day people who I often see normally who don't even grunt let alone say "Good morning" are saying "Thank you" when you veer around them in excess of the specified 2m distance.

NSP

LE
Whilst you were once a "trained medic" I might suggest that due to skill fade, forgetfulness and improved techniques in the last half century, you may be a tad out of touch, and probably best suited to the more generalist roles that the volunteer army has to offer.

I did a team medic course 10 years ago; I wouldn't think of calling myself a team medic or putting myself forward for such duties.

And there are a whe new raft of medical cases nowadays. Such as COVID19.
Among other things I have to go and re-learn how to escape from an inverted sinking helicopter and put out fires at sea every four years.

I'm only two years downstream from my last one so I shall be volunteering with Bristow SAR and the local fire brigade first thing in the morning.

One thing that will happen will be a rush on MOT's and vehicle servicing, once we get the all clear. This could have a knock on effect anually as everyone tries to get their MOT in the same month!

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer

And there are a whe new raft of medical cases nowadays. Such as COVID19.
Oh, I absolutely agree. The thing is that I never lost my interest in medical matters just because I left the British Army. I've kept myself au fait with all the latest developments in general medical treatments over the years and the basic anatomy of humans hasn't changed in all that time.

I've no idea what I'll actually be doing, but it's worthwhile to remember that there will still be the usual number of accidents etc in addition to having to treat patients with the virus. Since I have the basic medical skills (albeit a bit "rusty" as you correctly point out), I'm sure that I can do a lot to free up other personnel to help in treating the virus patients. Anyway, I have to show up at the dock on Friday afternoon, when I'll, presumably, find out where I'll be sent and what I'll be doing. I'm looking forward to it, actually.

MsG

MsG
In the sense that you can only fly temporarily?

I've no idea what I'll actually be doing,
God but you're thick.
You'll be staying at home on lockdown. How many more times do you have to be told?

Latest Threads