What will be different following the Coronavirus?

When I watched the second plane hit the tower, I turned around to the then Mrs. simmerit and said ‘we’ve just watched the world change - things are going to be a bit different’.

I wonder what changes are coming following this one. Open borders? Freedom of movement? Not many people around over 65 years of age? Anyone care to speculate what UK plc is going to look like in 2021? Does anyone care?

Last edited:
A lot of folk won't need to buy bog roll for a bit.

If you're expecting idleness and complacency to take leave of the UK, you're on tae plums.

We will talk about brexit again!

When I watched the second plane hit the tower, I turned around to the then Mrs. simmerit and said ‘we’ve just watch the world change - things are going to be a bit different’.

I wonder what changes are coming following this one. Open borders? Freedom of movement? Not many people around over 65 years of age? Anyone care to speculate what UK plc is going to look like in 2021? Does anyone care?
Life went on in the twenties after a World war, low level revolutions breaking out everywhere, Empires lasting hundreds of years crashing and a pandemic that killed millions (Spanish Flu).

The world is in a constant state of flux, but life goes on.

However, as they say: If you you can keep your head, when all around you panic, perhaps you have underestimated the situation.

Oops

Old-Salt
Odds on I'll be an orphan,
Come to think of it, I might not survive to become an orphan!

(Wellies, various sizes)

My appreciation of decent toilet roll and it's gentle caress upon my ricker. That will certainly change.

I'm hoping that this pandemic will see businesses stop seeing China as the world's only manufacturer and start moving back to the countries they abandoned.

Fat chance, I know, but one can always hope.

ACAB

LE
When I watched the second plane hit the tower, I turned around to the then Mrs. simmerit and said ‘we’ve just watch the world change - things are going to be a bit different’.

I saw that and went and pressed my suit and checked my paper work because, as an SB Police Officer, I was sure we were heading for WWIII. I suspect this latest spat will turn out much the same way......

soleil

War Hero
There is likely to be a long-lasting impact on the economy and on businesses both small and large. It is being said that it's going to be touch and go for some airlines, but I'm also worried for small businesses and especially small shops.

I noticed a post on Facebook this weekend added by a small boutique from which I have bought some lovely and unusual pieces. The owner suggested that previous customers might like to drop in to see what was in stock if they were in Central London. She said that footfall had basically dropped off the scale in the last few days and that she was worried now about the shop's survival if the coronavirus pandemic continued to deter people from coming into town for shopping during the weeks to come. She seemed really very concerned and I think that her worry is one shared by many small shops.

Another friend runs a small printing company. They are normally very busy, but there has been a startling drop in orders of late. They generally do a lot of printing for events, conferences and so on, but things which were being planned are now being cancelled and the companies involved are not placing orders for printing.

I was talking to someone I know today who writes for the FT and he told me that the staff there are utterly transfixed by this one topic, the coronavirus pandemic. They have a very informed view of how businesses of all sizes will suffer and their perspective is that these weeks/months will leave a mark on the British economy for years to come.

Richard Branson will still be a greedy, grasping shitbag.

I expect the hospitality industry is doomed. I can see the demise of the big cruise holidays and cruise lines. Tourism will be decimated in 2020.

I saw that and went and pressed my suit and checked my paper work because, as an SB Police Officer, I was sure we were heading for WWIII. I suspect this latest spat will turn out much the same way......
I sat near to someone the other day at a conference that had ‘pressed his suit’. He was ex - LG...

It looked ******* awful. I mean really, pressing a crease into your suit sleeves - tell me it’s only a turn of phrase...

NSP

LE
After coronavirus people will no longer cough to cover a public fart.

They will fart to cover a public cough.

Globalisation will be reeled back.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The idea that many people absolutely have to go to an office to work will change.

I also agree that a lot of manufacturing will be re-shored as our vulnerability to foreign capacity/events will be more fully realised.

Someone will have some explaining to do when the relief response, be it medical, supplies or financial is scaled to official population stats and the millions of illegals suddenly pop up from the grey economy that's no longer paying them.

ACAB

LE
I expect the hospitality industry is doomed. I can see the demise of the big cruise holidays and cruise lines. Tourism will be decimated in 2020.
We booked into the local Pub for a Sunday meal with the daughter this after noon. When we arrived it was like a ghost town. All because of the Corona virus.

Latest Threads