What We Still Don't Know - Scientific Mysteries

One question which always messes with my head is this. If you could launch a Rocket with unlimited fuel supply, and send it up in a straight trajectory with no deviation from course, where would it end up....8O

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
One question which always messes with my head is this. If you could launch a Rocket with unlimited fuel supply, and send it up in a straight trajectory with no deviation from course, where would it end up....8O

Depends where you aim it

On a similar theme ...

Yesterday I listened to a BBC programme " In Our Time " , downloaded years ago , discussing " Absolute Zero " ... an apparently unachievable temperature at which all motion stops ... ultimately this would means that at atomic level electrons would cease spinning around the nucleus . There are some strange effects as this temperature is approached including super conductivity in metals where zero resistance is displayed enabling the creation of super magnets but another which I just cannot get my head round is the " Superfluid " ...

... what astounded me in the programme was that that it had been theoretically calculated that the liquid Helium which then had zero viscosity would be capable of climbing 30 km up the inside of a vessel and going over the top .

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Straight, no deviation from course...

If you aim straight at the moon, or the sun it will only go so far!

However, I assume that you mean aim for a blank piece of sky?

Even then there's the risk of impacting dark stars or being pulled off course by black hole.

The universe is not as empty as you'd think to be able to plot a course which would be free from any objects

If you aim straight at the moon, or the sun it will only go so far!

However, I assume that you mean aim for a blank piece of sky?

Even then there's the risk of impacting dark stars or being pulled off course by black hole.

The universe is not as empty as you'd think to be able to plot a course which would be free from any objects
I get your point totally. However all of that notwithstanding the point I was trying to make is that people talk about the infinity of space. Assuming the rocket could keep going where the hell would it end up.

To infinity and beyond....and then???

I get your point totally. However all of that notwithstanding the point I was trying to make is that people talk about the infinity of space. Assuming the rocket could keep going where the hell would it end up.

It would end up back where it started unless you are one of those flat space types!

Depends on how you look at the universe (so to speak). Is it closed or open? Current theories think it is an open universe so you'd keep going until the rocket hits something, is pulled off course by something with a larger gravitational mass or until it is eroded away to nothing by collisions with the interstellar gas medium and others such as cosmic ray particles.

There's a joke here I'm sure but I'm not getting it... ;-)
In response to Harry secombe's question, when a large caliber field gun ran over its chocks and set of at speed down hill, " Anyone seen a gun?" spike milligans answer, "what colour?".........that sort of joke??:p

Its in one of his books, it happened in Italy........... during the war.........

Last edited:

More importantly...

Which waste of oxygen would you nominate for the pilot. So many to choose from...

More importantly...

Which waste of oxygen would you nominate for the pilot. So many to choose from...
Where to start, how much time have you got:-
Blair
Abbott
Useless wastes of skin unseen un-answerable to no one senior Whitehall Civil servants.
All the thieving VSO's fraudulently claiming school fees.
Town planners.
Local council thin lipped tight arsed paper Hitlers.
Kiddy fiddeling Catholic priests being shielded and protected by their superiors.
Those two arseh0les who murdered Lee Rigby.
The majority of senior NHS " Administrators"
Twats who ride bikes on pavements.
Ambulance chasing lawyers.
Piers Morgan.
Them two, now resident Californian wastes of rations.
The crunt who dumped a burnt out car door on my drive.
Rappers.
The cast of love island & towie
Script writers for those bloody awful daytime British and Aussie soaps.
TV advertising copy writers, WTF is it you are advertising? and as for that yodeling prat,....?
War mongering presidents, religious leaders, and that fat Frucker in north Korea.
Convicted murderers.
Anyone who at after 2300hrs insists waking up the whole street shouting and bawling.
The little toerags who shot the water fowl with crossbows on my local rural canal.
Know nothing obnoxious doctors receptionists.
That twat who at 0600hrs every morning races past on his bloody motorbike with a blown exhaust.
.........and if i catch the prick who threw curry sauce all over my garage door............ :pissedoff:

THE END

Last edited:
Where to start, how much time have you got:-
Blair
Abbott
Useless wastes of skin unseen un-answerable to no one senior Whitehall Civil servants.
All the thieving VSO's fraudulently claiming school fees.
Town planners.
Local council thin lipped tight arsed paper Hitlers.
Kiddy fiddeling Catholic priests being shielded and protected by their superiors.
Those two arseh0les who murdered Lee Rigby.
The majority of senior NHS " Administrators"
Twats who ride bikes on pavements.
Ambulance chasing lawyers.
Piers Morgan.
Them two, now resident Californian wastes of rations.
The crunt who dumped a burnt out car door on my drive.
Rappers.
The cast of love island & towie
Script writers for those bloody awful daytime British and Aussie soaps.
TV advertising copy writers, WTF is it you are advertising? and as for that yodeling prat,....?
War mongering presidents, religious leaders, and that fat Frucker in north Korea.
Convicted murderers.
Anyone who at after 2300hrs insists waking up the whole street shouting and bawling.
The little toerags who shot the water fowl with crossbows on my local rural canal.
Know nothing obnoxious doctors receptionists.
That twat who at 0600hrs every morning races past on his bloody motorbike with a blown exhaust.
.........and if i catch the prick who threw curry sauce all over my garage door............ :pissedoff:

THE END

... what no ...

Awol

LE
“Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light”.

Because some old bloke wrote on a blackboard 100 years ago when horses were still the mainly used for transport and planes had two sets of wings. Until they crashed.

I have no evidence to prove anything, but I just think that as so much science is predicated, without question, on Einstein’s constant, it wouldn’t hurt to look at it more closely.

Latest Threads