Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What was your first air rifle/pistol and where did you go to use it?

First air rifle was a Daisy BB gun when I was 10 . Got a HW35 in .22 for my 13th birthday & a year or two later aquired an Air Arms Firepower & a Webley Tempest pistol. Still have the 35 but stupidly sold the Tempest & Firepower for peanuts about 10 yrs ago.

Chop

Clanker
My first was the Webley Omega .177. I must have been about 9. The original one i was given had a defect, so the factory offered to replace it. Father and i went up there and got a tour of the factory and they replaced it with one about to be shipped to Saudi i think... the .177 engraving just at the beginning of the barrel was therefore in Arabic. quite a nice novel touch!
-edited to correct awful grammar/spelling/typing

dug out my old ASI Paratrooper, that rat in the compost's days are numbered, but the original ASI scope is toast, new scope, new high level mounts and it'll be time for some zeroing.8)

dug out my old ASI Paratrooper, that rat in the compost's days are numbered, but the original ASI scope is toast, new scope, new high level mounts and it'll be time for some zeroing.8)

Is it the repeater?

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer

There is a guy not far from me selling one for £90 including scope and carry case.
Is the rifle actually any good? Is it an el gammo? Or a copy?
I was wondering because the bypass being built a few hundred yards behind my house is driving the rats and mice closer to me, I could certainly get rid of some if the rifle is up to it

it groups 20mm at 20 yards at the moment, need to get the new modern scope fitted to tighten things up in less gusty weather. It's really a collectors gun, I brought my son a model 19 SMK, 11ft/lbs and very accurate, good enough for a rat shoot. If you're serious about the rat problem then something a little more PCP might be better.

A mate used to put a drop of diesel behind the pellet, he was convinced it was an elephant killer. I don't think the diesel was atomised enough to detonate on compression

I'm tempted by a Webley Tacker side lever job. Fella at work has one he's flogging for peanuts. It's in. 22 with a Hawke 3-9x50 scope that's probably worth more than the rifle, a silencer and a recently fitted Ox mainspring with a soft case thrown in. He's wanting a quick £100 so it's got to be worth that. Woodwork isn't fabulous but he's had it almost 30 years, no splits or cracks in it, just a bit tatty.
Looks like I may spend the weekend hanging out the bedroom window giving my garden full of squirrels the good news.

ugly

LE
If that scope is worth more than the rifle bite his hand off!

There is a guy not far from me selling one for £90 including scope and carry case.
Is the rifle actually any good? Is it an el gammo? Or a copy?
I was wondering because the bypass being built a few hundred yards behind my house is driving the rats and mice closer to me, I could certainly get rid of some if the rifle is up to it
If you're looking to pop a few rats, then you'll want something with a reasonable amount of power - the Paratrooper even when in mint condition only put out about 7 ft lbs. By the time you've found and fitted a spring to bring the power up (and probably to no more than about 8.5 ft lbs) then you'll have spent enough to have bought a reasonable spring rifle at full power. The Paratrooper was, I think, a Gamo 68 marketed as the paratrooper by ASI (Gamo importers at the time IIRC)

There are lots of air rifles out there that would do the job, but a secondhand Weihrauch 99 or similar shouldn't break the bank and if looked after will be used by your grandkids for similar tasks

Gorgonopsid

Old-Salt
My first one was a .22 BSA Meteor, certainly never used it for shooting close to my mates to shit them up or smashing greenhouse windows from a distance. Had a lot of fun filling it with .177 pellets and simulating a shotgun blast against the nearest poor sods arse, sadly it was stolen by a former friend of mine who sold it to some cnut from another estate for £8. Kids.

In honour of this thread though I accepted a rather dishevelled Crosman 2260 with a fairly impressive Hunter 4x40 scope, (clean, sharp and bright optics and pretty much ding free) and a tin of special pointy pellets, as a feebie today, I'll now have to rustle up a few co2 bulbs, and go try to some blat squirrels and rabbits this weekend

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm tempted by a Webley Tacker side lever job. Fella at work has one he's flogging for peanuts. It's in. 22 with a Hawke 3-9x50 scope that's probably worth more than the rifle, a silencer and a recently fitted Ox mainspring with a soft case thrown in. He's wanting a quick £100 so it's got to be worth that. Woodwork isn't fabulous but he's had it almost 30 years, no splits or cracks in it, just a bit tatty.
Looks like I may spend the weekend hanging out the bedroom window giving my garden full of squirrels the good news.
Do you reckon you could go postal at tenant direct opposite the university?

sguyw

LE
If you're buying second hand consider that we retail a brand new BSA Meteor (Now 11.8 ftlbs) with warranty for £165.30

It'll just work out of the box and it isn't really a huge amount of money for what you get. Just a thought - there are a lot of knackered old second hand air rifles out there, no matter how good they were when they were new.

1. FAS 604 .177 UIT Air Pistol. Awesome accuracy at 10m.

2. Bisley, or in a corridor at home. A friend used to practice in his MoD office at lunchtime.

I used to make rockets with Potassium nitrate and icing sugar. I overdid it with one "bolt bomb", it separated the two bolts from the nut and one fragment went through my bedroom window. Could have killed one of us. It was the same bedroom window I used to sit at whilst making explosives. Set the bedroom on fire whilst testing batches once. Father wasn't best pleased!

I have a copy of anarchist cookbook blimey stuff you can get up to

Aged 6', it was a Gat 177', at 11 BSA Meteor, 22 with tele sights, moved through Lee Enfield 22 in cadets to,That rifle, at 17, finally ending up back at my BSA Meteor 22 with my wife's identical 22 at 30 until a rat problem necessitated a new Cometa with 3 to 9X 50 sights on it last year. Or I could have called the council ? .

pongo6863

RIP
RIP
Aged 6', it was a Gat 177', at 11 BSA Meteor, 22 with tele sights, moved through Lee Enfield 22 in cadets to,That rifle, at 17, finally ending up back at my BSA Meteor 22 with my wife's identical 22 at 30 until a rat problem necessitated a new Cometa with 3 to 9X 50 sights on it last year. Or I could have called the council ? .
We had a duck problem in the village a few years ago. We helped solve it in a similar fashion...

Latest Threads