Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What was your first air rifle/pistol and where did you go to use it?

BlinkML

Clanker
first I shot was my dads .177 air pistol, no idea of the make. One of those great fcuck of ones that you pump up underneath with an underlever come fore-end, could take it up to well above 12ft/lbs, making it section 5 I guess. I liked it though, probably the catylist to my love for shooting, and why we have to have two gun safes in the house now to hold my impulse buys.

Long gone now, he bought its long before I was around. Or as my dad likes to say; ''when I was in uniform and you were in liquid form''

I had the Webley Hawk mk 2 with the interchangeable barrells and I got up to all manner of naughty things with it. As well as being highly responsible as well (sometimes).

is this for when the barrel gets hot?

pongo6863

RIP
RIP
My first air weapon was a Gat, closely followed by one of these...

...which while looking infinitely better had about the same range and accuracy as the Gat.

My first and only air rifle I bought while in the mob. I don't remember what make it was, just that it had an under barrel charging lever, a side loading port and was .22 calibre. The unit armourer fitted sling swivels and a rail for a 'scope I'd acquired. It was used mainly for pheasant poaching...

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
is this for when the barrel gets hot?

Naw - you could use .177 or .22 I had one.

Elder brother had Diana .177 and G10 pistols and a Webley MkIII rifle

upload_2015-5-1_23-51-27.jpeg

might have popped a light bulb - but wouldn't bust a milk bottle at 20 feet

Shooting the G10 as a 13 year old stood me in good stead a bit later when somebody put a 9mm in my sweaty hand.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer

Ah..wife's Dad still has the lower pistol knocking about the house....very light trigger action

I got a call from her mum about ten years ago, saying very carefully Erin Dawes was in A&E...she had somehow managed to shoot herself in the leg with it :confused:

She's fine in charge of a 17 hand Irish draught horse - just keep her the feck away frae any kind of shooter.

JoeCivvie

ADC
RIP
My first air weapon was a Gat, closely followed by one of these...

...which while looking infinitely better had about the same range and accuracy as the Gat.

My first and only air rifle I bought while in the mob. I don't remember what make it was, just that it had an under barrel charging lever, a side loading port and was .22 calibre. The unit armourer fitted sling swivels and a rail for a 'scope I'd acquired. It was used mainly for pheasant poaching...

Same here - Gat first, then I bought the 1911 lookalike and shoulder holster from a kid at school. Can you imagine that nowadays? You'd have SO19 getting medieval on you, be excluded and probably have to see a shrink.

They were later followed by a .177 and.22 - can't remember the make, but three of us used to play Japs and Commandos in the local quarry with airguns. Remarkably stupid, but we were kids.

I once shot another kid in the back alley (that's NOT a euphemism) and it just missed his eye - thank God. I begged him not to tell his parents, and those few seconds made me grow up remarkably.

40+ years' later I still break out in a cold sweat when I think about it.

Me dad gave me a .22 air pistol when I was about 11 years old and I started shooting rats,then
I turned my attention to the Catholic Priests at St Josephs across the road.Me dad took it off me
as he wanted to do it himself,and sent me off to the local gunsmith to get another tin of pellets
I suppose that's why I joined the army at 18.Every time I see a priest these days my trigger finger begins to itch.

I used to put match heads down the barrel just to see the yard long flash and crack as they came out.....
pfft.

I used to dismantle plastic caps, scrape out all the mercury fulminate and crush it to a fine powder. I would then take a .177" pellet and a 1/8" drill bit and using the bit as a hand reamer, open up the back of the pellet to increase its internal volume. These were typical diablo pellets. I favoured a brand with twin driving bands but I forget the name. I would then pack the back of the pellet with the finely crushed mercury fulminate and seal it in with the paper disc from one of the many plastic caps glued in with balsa cement. I reckon ten caps or so went in each pellet.

Of course they exploded on impact. They actually chipped brick which a plain pellet would just leave a mark on.

Section 5 I suppose!

Ex,, tsk tsk tsk,, powder safety matches and a little bit of wisdom , pleaseing bang. , i stopped playing with that when i blew a toy cannon to bits :(

Last edited:
Ex,, tsk tsk tsk,, powder safety matches and a little bit of wisdom , pleaseing bang. , i stopped playing with that when i blew a tow cannon to bits :(

That was quite tame and safe compared to some of the home made explosives!

That was quite tame and safe compared to some of the home made explosives!

Sodium chlorate and castor sugar mixed in with glycerol BP, touched off with a fuse of sodium chlorate in a drinking straw, makes quite an interesting bang... :roll:
Lucky to have retained all my fingers, eyes, etc! One Nescafe-tin 'grenade' went off on impact!
We could tell when the local plod got serious when they deployed their area car (Austin A40) to patrol the brick-yards where we carried out our little 'war-games'; poor old PC Duncan could never keep up with us on his old Hercules 'sit-up-and-beg' bike. :-D
That was where most of our air rifles/pistols were employed, along with a fair sprinkling of old war trophies, in my case a Gew88 - no ammo, just for posing. Others included the odd SMLE, No.4, K98 - all pretty well bashed about.
I'm still amazed that we never managed to kill ourselves or get nicked!

Sodium chlorate and castor sugar mixed in with glycerol BP, touched off with a fuse of sodium chlorate in a drinking straw, makes quite an interesting bang... :roll:
Lucky to have retained all my fingers, eyes, etc! One Nescafe-tin 'grenade' went off on impact!
We could tell when the local plod got serious when they deployed their area car (Austin A40) to patrol the brick-yards where we carried out our little 'war-games'; poor old PC Duncan could never keep up with us on his old Hercules 'sit-up-and-beg' bike. :-D
That was where most of our air rifles/pistols were employed, along with a fair sprinkling of old war trophies, in my case a Gew88 - no ammo, just for posing. Others included the odd SMLE, No.4, K98 - all pretty well bashed about.
I'm still amazed that we never managed to kill ourselves or get nicked!

I used to make rockets with Potassium nitrate and icing sugar. I overdid it with one "bolt bomb", it separated the two bolts from the nut and one fragment went through my bedroom window. Could have killed one of us. It was the same bedroom window I used to sit at whilst making explosives. Set the bedroom on fire whilst testing batches once. Father wasn't best pleased!

pongo6863

RIP
RIP
I once shot another kid in the back alley (that's NOT a euphemism) and it just missed his eye - thank God. I begged him not to tell his parents, and those few seconds made me grow up remarkably.

40+ years' later I still break out in a cold sweat when I think about it.
That's when my interest in playing with air pistols ended too.

We were shooting darts...

...at tea chests behind which we were hiding. I missed the tea chest but hit his forehead, which was sticking up above his cover, just above the eyebrow...

When i was 12 i made a crude atom bomb out of Lego, with a fissile core made of spangles, it went off prematurely when I left it next to the 3 bar fire, I think I got away with it, we was living out in the sticks at Maralinga, Australia at the time, and no one saw the mushroom cloud. Me dad was furious as both he and me mum and me brother were instantly vaporised.

When i was 12 i made a crude atom bomb out of Lego, with a fissile core made of spangles, it went off prematurely when I left it next to the 3 bar fire, I think I got away with it, we was living out in the sticks at Maralinga, Australia at the time, and no one saw the mushroom cloud. Me dad was furious as both he and me mum and me brother were instantly vaporised.

You must be telling dits, when you where a kid lego was not around :p

I had a daisy Red Ryder (I think) donated by a neighbour along with a jetex car. The bb's rolled out of the barrel unless you held it above horizontal... Next thing I fired was a SMLE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first air rifle would have been about 1986 as an 11 year old lad. My older brother had just passed out of Lympstone as a booty and brought it for me, an ASI Sniper with a Tasco 4x20 scope that he helped me zero in the back garden.
After that everything that moved in Savernake Forest, Marlborough Downs, and the Pewsey Vale was fair game (might have stalked the same places @Cregg Bristle ).
A few years later he got me an HW35 with a far better scope, can't remember what but it had a 3-9 zoom on.

My son asked me earlier if I would allow him to buy an air rifle, while having no problems about his common sense and ability I was admittedly confused about the laws on ownership, where he can use it and how it can be transported from a-b.
He asked me about my first air rifle/pistol and where did I go to use it.
I certainly had an enjoyable time raking up some old memories as I told him about them.
My first ever air gun was a 177 gat gun, that you had to push the barrel in to shoot, it wasn't that accurate but it was surprising what you could shoot from it from pellets and darts to corks and potato. I never took it out to use because it was more of a fun thing, I did sneak it out once to show to my school mates but I got caught by my step dad who gave me a stern lecture etc etc and he confiscated it for a couple of weeks.
I actually bought the pistol with my saved up pocket money, my mate wrote a letter pretending to be from my mum saying I was 14 and giving me permission to buy one. Somehow I can't see that happening nowadays.
View attachment 200245
My second one was from a catalogue, I can't remember which one but my gran ordered it for me and I gave her some of my pocket money each week until it was paid off.

View attachment 200248
It was a Relum .22 and as in the pic I also had a telescopic sight and a rather cool carrying case for it. I found the Relum to be a fantastic air rifle with a lot of power and accuracy, it would kill a rat at 50ft easily as it did for pigeons too.
I used to put it in my carrying case and make my way to southall gasworks a couple of miles away to use it.
There was an abundance of rats to shoot at as well as other static things of interest to teenagers who want to shoot things up ( in an old control room we once found about 100 of, now, old style telephones ).
It was great fun but we were trespassing on the old gasworks and had to cross the canal on the railway bridge to gain access to the gasworks, which looking back was dangerous enough on it's own.
This is where my friends and I used to go

View attachment 200249
View attachment 200250
View attachment 200251.

I told my son that aged 13/14 I could put my air rifle into it's case and get a bus or walk down the street with no problems, however laws change and people now are paranoid about rifles.
I told him that we need to check the law and find somewhere it's safe to use or a farmer with a rabbit problem that are causing horses to get injured.
He did however express an interest in joining our local rifle club where he can shoot full bore and .22 semi autos in there underground range.

So it got me thinking about other people's experience, what was your first air gun and where did you go to use it?
First air rifle was my brothers BSA. Not sure on model number but it had either .177 or .22 barrels.

Used to shoot at targets and later on at each other in a place called 'Dicks Pond' and later on at a disused airfield when fireworks were then used....

Had no idea on the law at the time and had fun taking out street lights and hiding in the fields when the cop car came along. Really lucky in hindsight as it was an experience but broke quite a few laws :) not least armed trespass on the books since 1954

Rules have also changed recently re ages, but it was 14 in those days.

Only accident I'm aware of was a mate who got an air pellet in his eye, but subsequently went 2 Para etc.

Had the ubiquitous ,Gat gun' which was sh1t but made a few minor dents in the garage door, much to the old mans consternation. The 'gypsy arrows' caused more damage than the gat gun.