What was your first air rifle/pistol and where did you go to use it?

wherever you go to shoot your air rifle or air pistol, it's a great, idea if you shoot in the back garden, to have a reliable backstop. Sandbags, ect that prevent the pellet leaving your property and entering your neighbour's. I use a plate of Armour scavenged from a tank target hulk, it may seem counter intuitive, you would think in would cause pellets to glance off, but if it's hit at right angles, the pellet flattens off and simply falls at the point of impact.
The worst material is timber, as the varying hardness within the grain causes pellets to rebound in an unpredictable direction.
View attachment 583042
You don't need armour plate for a pellet gun ffffs! It won't even go through 1 mm mild steel sheet.

Not one of my best. Has a bad habit of dropping it's mag

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210619-181130~2.png
    Screenshot_20210619-181130~2.png
    310.3 KB · Views: 19
Whilst I agree that the plate is a good backstop, the presence of the handle and hinges is a bit more of an issue..

To return to Sprocket's backstop.. I would suggest not using the side with the handle as it will create richochets! if the other side of the plate is flat, then use that.. Ideally you should make a wood frame for the plate with a light cover of thin ply or cardboard a couple of inches from the plate. This is sacraficial and will have to be replaced from time to time, but it will provide a surface to fix targets to and capture any richochets or fragments that come back towards the firer.. should be good for BBs as well as they are buggers for bouncing back..

Stone a Crows, this is an airgun thread, we're not talking about setting up a ballistic lab. But take an Informative anyway.

wherever you go to shoot your air rifle or air pistol, it's a great, idea if you shoot in the back garden, to have a reliable backstop. Sandbags, ect that prevent the pellet leaving your property and entering your neighbour's. I use a plate of Armour scavenged from a tank target hulk, it may seem counter intuitive, you would think in would cause pellets to glance off, but if it's hit at right angles, the pellet flattens off and simply falls at the point of impact.
The worst material is timber, as the varying hardness within the grain causes pellets to rebound in an unpredictable direction.
View attachment 583042
I think that is possibly the coolest backstop I have seen, very cool indeed.

Bet it makes a great sound too, DANGG!

As a teen, I found that hitting (with a pellet!) either BR 25kV overheads, or the 133kV cables on the pylons supplying the town made a satisfying and reverberating POW! and TWANG! respectively.

No commuters or power supplies were compromised.:rolleyes:

Used to fire .177 pellets obliquely at a wall to get that cowbot 'n' injun ricochet effect

HE117

LE
Stone a Crows, this is an airgun thread, we're not talking about setting up a ballistic lab. But take an Informative anyway.
Sorry.. you broke into my thread of conciousness and I went off on one...!

I do that a bit... :)

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
When you place it on its side the mag release is activated . When you cock it if the mag has not been pushed home. It falls out.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
My Grandad taught me to shoot when I was five or six, he was a Gamekeeper on the Bolton Abbey Estate near Skipton. I never got to shoot his 'work' rifle but he did give me a BSA airgun that I used to keep down the rabbit & squirrel population with. I think I learnt as much about stalking, concealment, ranging and navigation as I did about weapon handling, care and marksmanship. Sadly, he died when I was eight and I think there were many things I missed out learning from him. No worries about backstops though!

You can still get them on eBay. I did use them. 22 in. 177 out. But they did not fly more spun after the plastic wings left it

Same reason as. I was looking for ballistic balls they had hair like coconut matting I put in big hairy balls. Oh my giddy aunt

I haven't tried this myself but this makes me think, for anyone wanting to look up a "Henry Big Boy Underlever Rifle" I think it might be best to put in the full wording as I described there. Shortening the term to lose the last word or two might get you to a place you were not expecting.

Stibbon

Old-Salt
Bet it makes a great sound too, DANGG!

As a teen, I found that hitting (with a pellet!) either BR 25kV overheads, or the 133kV cables on the pylons supplying the town made a satisfying and reverberating POW! and TWANG! respectively.

No commuters or power supplies were compromised.:rolleyes:
That's one of the other issues with garden backstops (or at least it would be for me) - Noise.

The safety/legal/ricochet issue is one thing, but nothing will piss your neighbour off more than than having to constantly listen to the sound of your pellets hitting a metal/whatever backstop if they're not a enthusiast themselves. Luckily, I have land to shoot on so plinking and/or zeroing isn't an issue. :)

My first air rifle was age 10 for my birthday, courtesy of dad. An ASI Sniper .22, with a 4x20 scope. Lovely weapon, I wore it out I used it so much. It only fell into slight disuse after my 13th birthday and the first shotgun.

My first air rifle was age 10 for my birthday, courtesy of dad. An ASI Sniper .22, with a 4x20 scope. Lovely weapon, I wore it out I used it so much. It only fell into slight disuse after my 13th birthday and the first shotgun.
ASI, I wonder if they still make stuff, I have an ASI Paratrooper.
ac Paratrooper.png

it needs practice and real trigger discipline to keep a small group, quite a hard Air rifle to master.
asi Paratrooper.png

but it's great fun, and I enjoy plinking alongside my son, taking frustration out on some poor unsuspecting target.
destroyed bus d png.png

ASI, I wonder if they still make stuff, I have an ASI Paratrooper.
View attachment 583545
it needs practice and real trigger discipline to keep a small group, quite a hard Air rifle to master.
View attachment 583547
but it's great fun, and I enjoy plinking alongside my son, taking frustration out on some poor unsuspecting target.
View attachment 583548
My all time favourite. Never liked the auto load one. But I have been on the market for one of the single shots

I used to get the solid zinc 22 bullets made for pump up Brocock cartridges and bore them out hollow on the lathe, fill with crushed match head powder and top off with a small primer. Air rifle light artillery.

HE117

LE
I used to get the solid zinc 22 bullets made for pump up Brocock cartridges and bore them out hollow on the lathe, fill with crushed match head powder and top off with a small primer. Air rifle light artillery.
... also 100% illegal! Almost guaranteed a criminal prosecution if you are caught with them!

Just sayin...!