Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What was your first air rifle/pistol and where did you go to use it?

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
My son asked me earlier if I would allow him to buy an air rifle, while having no problems about his common sense and ability I was admittedly confused about the laws on ownership, where he can use it and how it can be transported from a-b.
He asked me about my first air rifle/pistol and where did I go to use it.
I certainly had an enjoyable time raking up some old memories as I told him about them.
My first ever air gun was a 177 gat gun, that you had to push the barrel in to shoot, it wasn't that accurate but it was surprising what you could shoot from it from pellets and darts to corks and potato. I never took it out to use because it was more of a fun thing, I did sneak it out once to show to my school mates but I got caught by my step dad who gave me a stern lecture etc etc and he confiscated it for a couple of weeks.
I actually bought the pistol with my saved up pocket money, my mate wrote a letter pretending to be from my mum saying I was 14 and giving me permission to buy one. Somehow I can't see that happening nowadays.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430097180.262847.jpg

My second one was from a catalogue, I can't remember which one but my gran ordered it for me and I gave her some of my pocket money each week until it was paid off.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430097850.372241.jpg

It was a Relum .22 and as in the pic I also had a telescopic sight and a rather cool carrying case for it. I found the Relum to be a fantastic air rifle with a lot of power and accuracy, it would kill a rat at 50ft easily as it did for pigeons too.
I used to put it in my carrying case and make my way to southall gasworks a couple of miles away to use it.
There was an abundance of rats to shoot at as well as other static things of interest to teenagers who want to shoot things up ( in an old control room we once found about 100 of, now, old style telephones ).
It was great fun but we were trespassing on the old gasworks and had to cross the canal on the railway bridge to gain access to the gasworks, which looking back was dangerous enough on it's own.
This is where my friends and I used to go

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430098093.607239.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430098104.797778.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430098114.605369.jpg

I told my son that aged 13/14 I could put my air rifle into it's case and get a bus or walk down the street with no problems, however laws change and people now are paranoid about rifles.
I told him that we need to check the law and find somewhere it's safe to use or a farmer with a rabbit problem that are causing horses to get injured.
He did however express an interest in joining our local rifle club where he can shoot full bore and .22 semi autos in there underground range.

So it got me thinking about other people's experience, what was your first air gun and where did you go to use it?

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/accles-and-shelvoke-ltd-acvoke-177-air-pistols/Air-Guns/757368 (.177)

plus Webley MK 3 under lever action and top loading.(.22)

Targets---anything---birds, cats, dog(next door yapper) and later we used to "Hunt" each other.

Sometimes it hurt----but luckily the MK 3 outranged and outshot the various Milbros and Dianas my mates had.--Wore old combat jacket or duffle coat to absorb the shots.
Aged 14 got pulled by old bill---weapon in proper case------no problem.--Reckon rules may now differ.

No animals or people were hurt in the telling of this tale that I may have made up.:roll:

Last edited:
I had an Original model 25 in .22. One of my mates had a .22 BSA Airsporter, and another had a Diana something or other in .177. We used to shoot anything that moved, living in the country on the edge of Salisbury Plain. Right nasty little shits we were. We also used to hunt each other but knocked that on the head after a while as the lad with the .177 was getting pissed off. :)

Later I bought a Webley Vulcan in .22, superb air rifle that was. Another friend had one of those Jackal military-looking air rifles. Just imagine the commotion that would cause these days.

Happy times. We were the scourge of the Lavingtons until we all left to join up, two of us to RM, one to RE and 177 boy to RAMC then P Coy and 5AB.

Zulu_w

Old-Salt
My father got me a Slavia .177 when I was 12.

Lived in Rhodesia and so carried the thing everywhere and shot just about everything I saw.

The mention of hunting each other brings back memories of sneaking up on a mate and shooting him in the toe with blutack. He screamed like a girl and threatened all sorts of violence but couldn't catch me on account of the end of his toe flapping in the wind and pissing blood.

I dreamed of owning a BSA Air Sporter S which at the time I considered to be the air rifle to have.

I told my son that aged 13/14 I could put my air rifle into it's case and get a bus or walk down the street with no problems, however laws change and people now are paranoid about rifles.
The laws have barely changed at all - just the level of paranoia. One big change however is that of so-called "armed trespass". Go onto any private land unbidden with any kind of firearm, including an air rifle in a case, and you are in trouble.

My father got me a Slavia .177 when I was 12.

Lived in Rhodesia and so carried the thing everywhere and shot just about everything I saw.

The mention of hunting each other brings back memories of sneaking up on a mate and shooting him in the toe with blutack. He screamed like a girl and threatened all sorts of violence but couldn't catch me on account of the end of his toe flapping in the wind and pissing blood.

I dreamed of owning a BSA Air Sporter S which at the time I considered to be the air rifle to have.
Similar story for me.

Kenya, on a farm in the NW of the country. BSA .177 initially, latterly .22. Fantastic times.

In Lavington as a 16-18 yo, I had a Sharp Innova for rabbiting. Not such good times.:(

My first (and only) air weapon was a Gamo .177 air rifle, iron sights with a tube magazine on top of the barrel. I bought it from a school friend in about 1983 (I was 13/14). It was pretty accurate and gave me a good grouding in the prnciples of marksmanship before I joined up and was trained on 'that rifle'. I used to shoot it out of my first floor bedroom window at a target at the end of the garden (about 75ft). I made a plywood box filled with newspaper to catch the pellets and pasted paper targets over the front. Being a responsible young lad, I phoned the local cop shop to explain the arrangement and was told that as long as the pellets stayed in our garden I was good to go, so I learnt about boundaries as well. Very educational.

I had a Diana G80 in .177" and used to shoot it in the back garden which was about 20 yards long. Later I got a telescopic sight for it and used it to great effect on the Afrika Korp - Airfix Division. My brother got a Slavia in .177" shortly afterwards and then a BSA Meteor in .22"

We got through a tin of pellets each every weekend so through our teenage years must have put quarter of a million pellets up the garden.

Anderson_G

Clanker
I had a BSA Lightning when I was 15 it was a birthday present, I mainly used it for target shooting as we lived out in the country at the time we had a sizeable garden, My dad also built a wooden guard, so if any ricochets occurred the pellet would be caught. I was also taught to clean the rifle after every use and to be sensible with the rifle too, as in not pointing it at people only fire down range and most of all respect the environment around me.

Can't remember what sort but picked up a .22 in BAOR in the early 80's and used it around the mess as only a pissed subaltern would, fellow mess members, passing wildlife and rabbits on the football pitches at night passing trains etc.

Best however was going on safari to the Stukenbrok (Sp?) Safari Park up towards Bielefeld, when touring the park a large Rhino was presenting its arse a few yards the other side of the protective moat we reckoned that it would not notice being fired at from 20-30 yards, well it did turning round and charging towards us at an alarming speed, we thought it was going to leap the moat. After that experience we thought a little more about shooting the very obvious balls of a large lion.

Webley Superstar Mk2. .22 with fixed barrel, underlever cocking & a rather fetching scope. Out shooting one day & some busy body noted my licence plate & bubbled me to plod. They turned up at my house & asked to see the weapon & when I brought it to the door the widening of the eyes was delicious to behold. As soon as I showed them it was an air weapon they were nice as pie to me & apologised for taking up my time.
Sold to a workmate later on & came across it in his garage a few years later, hanging off the wall & covered in rust. I could have wept.

Blogg

LE
A Original .177 break barrel air rifle my Dad gave me for my 12th birthday.

Happily had a lot of open land available and could blat away without having to worry about curtain twitchers unlike my mates, so they came over and off we went.

Only grief we ever got was as a result of a genius using the arrse end of some .22RF rounds he had got his paws on as targets.

"WHAT THE %$&¥ WAS THAT!!!!!!!

"Errr nothing Dad..........."

Nearly 40 years on still got it.

BSA Superport as my first air rifle. I had permission to shoot on a farmers land and collect rabbits. I may or may not have shot a sparrow in a tree. Whilst retrieving sparrow I didn't shoot from tree somebody on the other side of the hedge got a bit upset with me, I explained it was to feed my dog and she was on a diet. He wanted to know where I lived so I pointed to the furthest estate away from where we were and said over there. I somehow don't think he believed me.

I behaved myself for a while after that and shot targets, or shook up cans of pop. I also hunted fresh cowpats, but gave up on that as I got spattered by one at point blank range as I gave it the coup de grâce.

When I got older I replaced the Supersport with a Falcon FN19 pre charged pneumatic, which is still in my loft. Whilst I was at Lyneham I had permission to shoot bunnies at the Tidworth and Bulford ranges as long they weren't in use. I had to ring the guard room and RMP to inform them that I was there. I spent many an evening enjoying myself on those ranges and passed the rabbits to a friend who had a hawk.

RP.

First was a Gat (although they are inertia powered not air) ,then a Sterling air rifle , we used to shoot anything we could around the farms including each other , my mate even has a glass eye to prove it , I got away with a scar on my leg that looks like a fag burn, fun times.

I had a Weirauch that I picked up in some crooked little deal - I can't remember exactly what. It was powerful, deadly accurate and looked the biz. I seem to remember it looking meaner than that but there again, I remember the Dukes of Hazzard being good.

upload_2015-4-27_17-25-50.jpeg

Sadly, somebody somewhere got wind that I'd been up to no good and the police came banging on the door one day.

And that was the end of air rifles at my house.

I guess by modern standards we 14 year olds were armed 'to the teeth', with sheath knives, gat pistols, 177 pistol-grip Paratroopers and my Webley Hawk with its interchangeable 177 or 22 barrels, this in a built-up part of town as well. I took and held the local allotments by manouevre and force of arms, other kids keeping out of my scam whilst I popped the rats. Wouldn't have known who to approach for permission back then. A kindly old bloke would leave me enough money for another tin of pellets if I left a pile of rats by the allotment gates once a week. The only rules as a 14 year old were 'air weapon covered in a public place', and don't get busted on private land.

Got done in the end, hit a pigeon on the wing with iron sights from our garden. So, this racing pigeon's owner arrived, everyone knew dead animals was me, then the Police came, but how they knew it was me I don't know. The £14 to replace the bird was a week's rent for mum so the gun had to go at a knock-down £14 immediately.

Took my adult son to a gunshop recently, they were refurbishing a Webley Hawk and let me have a play. So light compared to modern composites and pre-chargeds. Have since seen a break-down one in a presentation box, ???'s more than it's worth but, hey, nostalgia?

Latest Threads