What was your best and worst day in the Military?

Loadsa best days, from qualifying as air crewman to being promoted to WO.

Worst learning that one of ours had been killed, on one occasion 2 in one incident, still haunted even now.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Worst was when surgeon told me my knee was knackered.

Best, a few too many to choose from but wee trips to Nepal and Hong Kong are among them.

Too many best days...or months...or years.

Germany 84 , day off work tomorrow to go Xmas shopping, my then girlfriends sister said . Would you like to go ice skating tomorrow? Ok .

She turns up at the camp and I hop in her car. We go to a German castle mit moat frozen over and skate on said moat ! Then drink gluhwine and rhum .

1989 . What , you mean I have to go to Italy for four and a half months and we have to work from 07:30 until 13:00 every day, and we get an extra 25 quid a day plus LOA , and the Italian mess has , at lunch time pasta, fruit and wine on the table, and if we drink the wine some Italian conscript fills up the wine bottle until we pass out?

94 Oh we need someone qualified as a ski instructor to go to Bavaria for a 4 month skiing course.

95 Oh we need a qualified climbing instructor to go to Bavaria/ Austria for a 2 month climbing course.

Posted to Sardinia to the BAOR adventure training base in 95.

Oh it’s a villa on the beach in Sardinia and I have to actually work for two days every two weeks , Oh and I have an account with the RAF where , when I provide a reciept for what ever I buy they will reimburse me.

Called in as I have to be posted some where.

“Er we see you do climbing and stuff, how about Cyprus for two years”

OK.

Best, snow queen PSI for 4 seasons, BOBC Norway, twice, sking and canoeing, Sardinia in 1974 with 216 para sigs, Climbing in the Stubian alps out of solden.
Running my own section within the squadron, and left alone to get on with it, without any outside interference.

Worst, having an insufferable no nothing little shit of a one pip wonder, piss me off. The old man eventually got rid of him. Edit to add:- Memory jog, being told my old troop Sgt, M.. G****** has died. and getting the news one of the lads on secondment from our troop, had been killed in NI by a culvert bomb. Two radio operators from our squadron, being found dead, killed by generator fumes, in the back of their TEV on exercise, one married with kids, the other a rookie.

Last edited:
Best, snow queen PSI for 4 seasons, BOBC Norway, twice, sking and canoeing, Sardinia in 1974 with 216 para sigs, Climbing in the Stubian alps out of solden.
Running my own section within the squadron, and left alone to get on with it, without any outside interference.

Worst, having an insufferable no nothing little shit of a one pip wonder, piss me off. The old man eventually got rid of him.
My roomie in Munster, managed to get himself as seasonal Duty Driver on Snow Queen for about 6 years. No one in 2RTRs MT got a look in......
You know who you are..... Steve Seath. You out there Whale? =-D

What were you up to, or would you have to kill us all? :mrgreen:
I was at 12 Armoured Wksp at the time. (Osnabruck). We were to be the resident workshop at Sydenham Nov 79 - March 80 and it was the norm to lend a tels tech to the tels section of the resident unit at Omagh.
I've no idea why.
Come to think about it, one of the LAD's techs probably stayed as rear party to hand over like you so were under strength.

Last edited:

Latest Threads