What was your best and worst day in the Military?

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Sometimes, can be the same thing...

Best= Arriving in Hong Kong
Worst= Leaving Hong Kong

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hard to really put a pick a best day. There are many to choose from.

Getting smashed on a tropical beach in Diego Garcia, snorkelling and eating unlimited BBQd meat was pretty good.

Getting smashed on a tropical beach in Okinawa, jet skiing and eating unlimited BBQd meat was pretty good.

Getting smashed on a tropical beach in Malaysia, scuba diving and eating unlimited BBQd meat was pretty good.

You get the idea.

Worst day?

Again hard to pick.

Being arrested in Mumbai Airport because the ship had fucked up my visa was fairly shit.

BOST is just 8 entire weeks of ****.

While serving in the Army/Navy/Air Force, what is/was your best day in the military, and what was your worst?
Worst
January 6th, 2005 Taji, Iraq

Route Redlegs

the M2 Bradley Fighting Vehicle ahead of me had to cross a culvert over redlegs to continue a patrol it was dusk. Redlegs was a very dangerous road but we only had to cross an 20m section of it.

Under the culvert was a 1,000lb aircraft bomb hard wired for command detonation. 7 brothers gone in a flash and it burned all night. We spent the next 48 hours dredging for body parts and gear. VonnRonn the medic we found the top of his skull almost 400m away

SFC KURT COMEAUX
SGT CHRISTOPHER BABIN
SGT ARMAND FRICKEY
SGT BRADLEY BERGERON
SGT WARREN MURPHY
SGT HUEY FASSBENDER
SPC KENNETH VONRONN

Worst

Route Redlegs

the M2 Bradley Fighting Vehicle ahead of me had to cross a culvert over redlegs to continue a patrol it was dusk. Redlegs was a very dangerous road but we only had to cross an 20m section of it.

Under the culvert was a 1,000lb aircraft bomb hard wired for command detonation. 7 brothers gone in a flash and it burned all night. We spent the next 48 hours dredging for body parts and gear. VonnRonn the medic we found the top of his skull almost 400m away

SFC KURT COMEAUX
SGT CHRISTOPHER BABIN
SGT ARMAND FRICKEY
SGT BRADLEY BERGERON
SGT WARREN MURPHY
SGT HUEY FASSBENDER
SPC KENNETH VONRONN
That is tragic GB - no other words for it !

Best: Walking past the SSM's office on my way to the admin office and getting the shout to "come here". Dreading the worst I was pleasantly surprised when he casually asked me how would I like a permanent posting to Cyprus.

Worst: Can't think of one - but I am sure there were many.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Worst the first. Best the last.

I think that sums it up in a nutshell.

Best day: 5th January 1965 joined up, reported to my Depot in Aldershot.

Worst Day: my OC's interview, on reporting to 33 Sqn,2 ADTR RCT, "Right Staff, you've had a 2 year holiday in Berlin, now you're going to have to work for a living"! My reply "Sir, I've just spent Two and a half years, being expected to work 24/7/365 if required, doing a job you know nothing about 'cos you don't have a high enough security clearance"!

It was a shitty 12 months until he was posted, knew nothing about leading men, without a doubt the worst officer I've ever served with. :roll:

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Best day: 5th January 1965 joined up, reported to my Depot in Aldershot.

Worst Day: my OC's interview, on reporting to 33 Sqn,2 ADTR RCT, "Right Staff, you've had a 2 year holiday in Berlin, now you're going to have to work for a living"! My reply "Sir, I've just spent Two and a half years, being expected to work 24/7/365 if required, doing a job you know nothing about 'cos you don't have a high enough security clearance"!

It was a shitty 12 months until he was posted, knew nothing about leading men, without a doubt the worst officer I've ever served with. :roll:
They don’t like it up em

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Best would be in the wee hours in a railway sidings a few mile east of Magdeburg about a third of a century ago. Everything went well.

Worst would be about a fifth of a century ago a few miles east of Kaliningrad where it all went a bit Pete Tong.

Still, mustn't grumble. No-one died.

The best? Too many to choose from. The worst? Time, therapy and booze have erased them from my memory.

Best day - Being on a beach in Cancun Mexico on R&R - while being posted in Belize.

Worst Day - split up with the wife, took a vehicle for a road test in Bosnia, parked up and was seriously considering putting a bullet in my head. Then thought - f*ck it, there's plenty more fish in the sea.

Worst

Route Redlegs

SFC KURT COMEAUX
SGT CHRISTOPHER BABIN
SGT ARMAND FRICKEY
SGT BRADLEY BERGERON
SGT WARREN MURPHY
SGT HUEY FASSBENDER
SPC KENNETH VONRONN
A "like" isn't really appropriate, but there is no better option.

STAB only, but when I was learning to be an MFC I gave a "L600" correction while on SPTA.
"You sure, Cpl BB" said the DS. Yep, I replied, and the next round hit the tank hulk.

Best: This may have been spending nearly a week getting horribly pissed, sunburnt, eating ridiculously fresh Seafood and getting lazy on a Goan beach whilst having R&R from some AT in Northern India

Worst: Being told I had failed the Army Air Corps Pilot Grading selection. It wasn't the fail, as I clearly wan't a natural pilot, it was the realisation I had nothing left to transfer to that flicked my switch. As a senior Full screw, my chances of going anywhere without reducing in rank or starting at the absolute bottom were almost negligible.

Latest Threads