What was the name of that military show/contest in the 90s?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Ollie2376, May 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When i was younger i remember a brilliant show that i think was every year. They had loads of stuff like the big cannon pulling competition and stuff. Can anyone remember the name? As i want to watch it online!! Ive not seen it on TV for years which makes me think its stopped.

I dont think it was the Royal Military Tattoo, as it was all stuff like Marines coming down on ropes, little pretend battle scenes using blanks and things like that! Anyone remember?

2. The Royal Tournament perhaps?
  3. Yeh, that name rings a bell! Is it still about?

Does anyone know if there is somewhere to view past ones online?

4. that is definitely the one!

Does anyone know somewhere where i can watch the full episodes?

Cheers for your help!
  5. It stopped as we needed the cannon elsewhere. Oh and the rope.
  6. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Hasn't been done for years as Scarletto says but there are plenty of clips on YouTube.

Like here (click)
  7. Thanks fellas!

It should start up again, would be ace! I can see how with all the current stuff going on that they concentrating on other things though
  8. The boys would be chuffed to have another draw on their time and effort I am sure :D

I have a feeling he isn't on about the Royal Tournament, but the TV show from the 80's to 90's where the various Infantry( and similar) regiements competed against each other in all manner of military style events...

a gun pull (a light gun i think)
    a off road driving and falling plate comp
    a raft race, which involved carrying the raft through a booby trapped are.

can't remember any more.

THis was the show that made silly string famous for finding trip wires

Edit:Oh.... wait here it isCombat
  9. The winner of the "Wah of the week"
    Not to mention the stink in Earls Court accom.
  10. Apparently the Gun Race, contested by RN crews, will be one of the attractions at the Windsor Tatoo later this year. Sorry, but I don`t have any links or web site addresses for same.
  11. www.windsortattoo.com
  12. Nice one, Scarletto. I believe that this is going to be quite an occassion, attended by HM Queen and other senior Royals.
  13. It was definatly the Royal Tournament, but that other thing looks worth a watch! Thanks :D
  14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I've just watched a few of those vids, what a shame that we've lost that... :(