What was/is the bounty for?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by mongoose9, Feb 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know what the bounty was originally for. Is it a retainer for being available for mobilisation since there is debate about whether if we get pensions the bounty may go (which financially makes us worse off).
  2. The bounty was originally an encouragement and reward for fulfillment of commitment. This commitment includes accepting the possibility of mobilisation in the event of threat to the nation's security.

As issues have subsequently been raised about non-parity with the Regulars, it has subsequently also been attributed as:

a) a means of recognising that the TA work 7 days a week (i.e. a payment in lieu of the overtime that they would have accrued in their civvy job).

b) recognising that the likelihood of mobilisation is high due to the need to supplement the Regular services in operational theatres that don't directly affect the security of the nation.

c) recompense for the lesser availability of benefits that the Regular soldier accrues. Examples are Forces Railcards, Indulgence flights, gym use etc. Forces Discount is a lesser issue now that we keep our MOD 90s.

d) a payment in lieu of pension.

e) any other reaction to claims for higher pay.

It's notable that reasons a) to e) only came forward AFTER claims were made about disparity with the Regulars. Even the massive increase in the value of the bounty from £25(?) to £250(?) in the late 1970's was not attributed to any of those reasons, but did coincide with an Armed Forces pay rise beyond inflation rates.

As usual, I stand to be corrected on any of the claims made as I haven't been involved in the decision-making process and haven't been privy to any of the paperwork involved.
  3. leverage - so the missus let's you out for the weekend, and she can buy some new curtains or something.
  4. Exactly,

The bounty is for the missus, no longer for me now that i'm a "happily" taken man!!!!!
  5. Curtains for the Missus?

Fair swap, I suppose.
  6. "Happily married" is that not an oxymoron bit like "loving wife" or "military intelligence".
  7. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I didn't think TA got to keep their MOD 90s. As I'm still in the process of joining I stand to be corrected
  8. Depends on the Unit, some do some don't.
  9. msr

msr LE

All TA soldiers can keep their MOD 90. This has been the case for a few years now.

10. Interesting. I saw a LM three years ago on MOD 90s, and it was unequivocal (I think it was from LAND definitely NOT a unit LM). If some units dont let TA keep them I think this is a power some-one is arrogating (yet again) either a RAO CO or whatever. I did not think this was something that could be delegated to the chain of command, you get it and that is that.

Anyone know for sure?
  11. Re MOD 90:

It was finally given to the TA as a permanent possession in 2004 (I suppose somebody may have got his in 2003, but I won't quibble) when losing one ceased to be a chargeable offence (unless you make a habit of it).

Seems that it took 30-odd years for someone to finally read the small print on the back.

And with that, puttees takes out his MOD 90 to check the exact wording and discovers that the phrase he was looking for disappeared when the MOD 90 changed format in 1993. Bollokcs!

Anyway, the MOD 90 is a means of identification, not an automatic right to gain entry (paraphrased, that's what it said on the old ones), so if it's being treated correctly then it's a fairly pointless piece of plastic.
  12. Thanks for that PIMH explains it. I believe that therefore unless someone is an individual case (eg he keeps losing it so is not allowed to have one permanently) the RAO or whoever has no discretion; he must give it to the soldier or is abusing his power/acting illegally?

Only banging on about this as I have seen some died in the wool regular STAB haters do this in the past.

13. when i was allowed to keep hold of my mod90 it was due to two things working as a driver for the sqn and so signing it out every day was a pain. secondly and the reason i was told everyone got to keep theirs including me when i finished my driving duties was that it had something to do with CCRF, but i dont remeber what , i'll guess its so if your unit was affected you could turn up to another and have some proof of who you where.

14. I am surprised that the bounty has remained tax free for so long. Maybe gordon Brown doesn't realise how much tax revenue is escaping!
  15. It was orginally started in 1914 and paid to soldiers who attended the full two weeks of annual camp as too few were doing so - and was £1. There was an attempt to abolish it in the 1920s which resulted in a big political ruck and the War Offfice backed down.