What was I wearing...???

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by SNLR86, Feb 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. More than a couple of decades ago, I stood on a hillside in a distant sunny land to contribute to the firing of three volleys. (RIP, Sgt. Mal N*****)

We were wearing the summer equivalent of No. 2 Dress, which was a horrible light grey thing worn without shirt and tie, looking a bit like a safari suit.

Everyone had this issued on arrival, but it's the only time I ever wore it and I don't remember seeing anyone else wearing it.

I remember that it was not particularly comfortable to wear and, for reasons never explained, everyone's stripes were fastened with press-studs rather than being sewn on, but what the hell was it called?

2. No 6 Dress ?

3. Is it not the Number 6 dress uniform???

4. Jeeeeeesus! Sorted and thanks, of course it was.

OK, nurse, I'm ready for my lunch now, is it mince on Tuesday?

I'm not even bloody 50 yet...

5. Number Sixes?

[​IMG]

6. Picture taken in May 1985. Fifth from the right is Dan Mills, author of Sniper One btw.. ;)

7. Very similar, except with a less poofy hat, which bore a proper Jimmy instead of the shiny tin seen here.

8. Ceremony of the Keys, Gibraltar, a rest posting post Omagh - actually it was a 'ucking shithole and nothing more than a staging post for R&R and adventure training.

Hated it.

As for the hat, uniform and other shite - I wore what they gave me and didn't feel important enough to question it..

9. Definately No6 dress - horrible thing that looked immaculate once ironed and on a hangar, but collapsed instantly into a wrinkled mess as soon as you put it on...

[​IMG]

:x :x :x :x :x

Rodney2q

10. By God that picture takes me back a few years, that could have been the 2nd Bn in Gib in 77-79!

Please excuse me while I wander of into a few old memoriessszzzzzzzzzzzz....

:D

Rodney2q

11. A few familiar faces in some of the photos - and by God didn't I look young in those days!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks for the link!

Rodney2q

12. I haven't changed a bit..

13. I remember seeing an SAS captain wearing it at Hereford Cathedral, the day the locals got their veterans badge. That was only a few years ago, so must still be in use now and again. Can't think why he was wearing it mind you! Not sure if he had a beret or peak cap with him though.

14. If he was Them, then it wouldn’t be a peaked cap :crash: