What was I wearing...???

More than a couple of decades ago, I stood on a hillside in a distant sunny land to contribute to the firing of three volleys. (RIP, Sgt. Mal N*****)

We were wearing the summer equivalent of No. 2 Dress, which was a horrible light grey thing worn without shirt and tie, looking a bit like a safari suit.

Everyone had this issued on arrival, but it's the only time I ever wore it and I don't remember seeing anyone else wearing it.

I remember that it was not particularly comfortable to wear and, for reasons never explained, everyone's stripes were fastened with press-studs rather than being sewn on, but what the hell was it called?

No 6 Dress ?

Jeeeeeesus! Sorted and thanks, of course it was.

OK, nurse, I'm ready for my lunch now, is it mince on Tuesday?

I'm not even bloody 50 yet...

thinkingaboutit said:
Number Sixes?

Very similar, except with a less poofy hat, which bore a proper Jimmy instead of the shiny tin seen here.

Ceremony of the Keys, Gibraltar, a rest posting post Omagh - actually it was a 'ucking shithole and nothing more than a staging post for R&R and adventure training.

Hated it.

As for the hat, uniform and other shite - I wore what they gave me and didn't feel important enough to question it..

Definately No6 dress - horrible thing that looked immaculate once ironed and on a hangar, but collapsed instantly into a wrinkled mess as soon as you put it on...

:x :x :x :x :x

Rodney2q

thinkingaboutit said:
Number Sixes?

By God that picture takes me back a few years, that could have been the 2nd Bn in Gib in 77-79!

Please excuse me while I wander of into a few old memoriessszzzzzzzzzzzz....

:D

Rodney2q

I remember seeing an SAS captain wearing it at Hereford Cathedral, the day the locals got their veterans badge. That was only a few years ago, so must still be in use now and again. Can't think why he was wearing it mind you! Not sure if he had a beret or peak cap with him though.

ReadySalted said:
I remember seeing an SAS captain wearing it at Hereford Cathedral, the day the locals got their veterans badge. That was only a few years ago, so must still be in use now and again. Can't think why he was wearing it mind you! Not sure if he had a beret or peak cap with him though.
If he was Them, then it wouldn’t be a peaked cap :crash:

I had something similar issued - a KD bush jacket, albeit with short sleeves. There was another (long sleeved) tropical dress tunic that was worn with a KD shirt and tie. I could never see the point of so many different orders of dress for such limited circumstances (i.e. ceremonial duties during overseas postings). I never wore it and it probably went straight in to the gash bin when I handed it in. Total waste of money - especially as when we did actually have a royal visit (an occasion that surely would have warranted the Roger Moore look), everyone was in trop DPM.

I'm not sure. I'm 99% sure he had like a peak cap made out of khaki material / the same material as his dress. Still, may be wrong.

That Queen's Regiment web site is very good.

Now for something really sad and spotterish:

No 1 Dress: Temperate ceremonial uniform.
No 2 Dress: Service dress(temperate parade and ceremonial)
No 3 Dress: Warn weather ceremonial dress (the white version of No 1 Dress)
No 4 Dress: Warm weather uniform (Service Dress Pattern) (Officers only, same as No2 Dress in stone colour)
No 5 Dress: The old battle dress this number of uniform is no longer listed.
No 6 Dress: Warm weather parade uniform (bush jacket pattern) (equates to No 2 Dress for soldiers).
No 7 Dress: Warn weather working uniform.
No 8 Dress: Temperate combat uniform (wet/cold)
No 9 Dress: Combat uniform (jungle / desert)
No 10 Dress: Temperate mess uniform (officers only)
No 11 Dress: Warm weather mess uniform (officers only - white mess jacket)
No 12 Dress: Coverall clothing
No 13 Dress: Barrack dress
No 14 Dress: Shirt sleeve order.