What was God doing before he said "Let there be light"?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Nehustan, Jun 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Ok another thread for us to discuss the ins and outs of hocus pocus. It's going to be hard to discuss theological concepts without referring to what you call stories. In fact even your question uses them as the reference for its framing, so I am afraid we may well have to refer to scripture. Hopefully tho' we can analyse it critically and if we decide it is metaphorical try and assesss what might be the metaphysical concepts the metaphor stands for.

Should actually be quite good fun. One of my favourite pursuits as a younger Nehustan was disussing hocus pocus with friends through the night until the sun had risen on another day. Why not reproduce it on ARRSE and let everyone give their tuppence...

(my admin work is finished so I have some free time ;) )

2. Sitting in the dark... obvious, isn't it?

TB

3. Working out his Coord Illum mission data...

4. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

(By the way this came up in another thread so this isn't a completely random thread!!!!)

I guess I'm going to have to start by dissecting the question and trying to decide what it says, and if as a structure it stands as a valid enquiry or whether anything is immediately unclear and needs clarification.

"What was God doing before he said "Let there be light"?"

I guess the first thing that jumps out at me is the use of tenses and conjunctions that indicate temporality to God. I guess I would open up the discussion as to how we define 'time' and under what criteria does 'time' exist. Then moving on from how we have delineated time; at what point did time begin?

5. Easy, nothing, he/she doesn't exist :thumleft:

6. So what do I win then, for spotting the trick question :?

7. On a NAAFI break.

8. The Hawking-Turok Instanton theory suggests that the universe began from very little: The instanton which is something and nothing.*

So where did this Instanton come from then? Errrr dunno.

So maybe God was sitting there playing marbles with his Instantons and one went off.. "Oh Bugger, another Universe to worry about"

*An instanton or pseudoparticle is a notion appearing in theoretical and mathematical physics. Mathematically, instanton is a self-dual connection in a principal bundle over a four-dimensional Riemannian manifold playing the role of physical space-time in nonabelian gauge theory. Instantons are topologically nontrivial solutions of Yang-Mills equations that absolutely minimize the energy functional within their topological type. First such solutions were discovered in the case of four-dimensional euclidean space compactified to the four-dimensional sphere, and turned out to be localized in space-time, prompting the names pseudoparticle and instanton.

All clear on that? Good.

9. Bending time so as to be able to surf on ARRSE...

10. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Being lazy I will refer the gentleman to answer I previously gave in the thread that gave rise to this one...

11. Designing cars for a well known Italian company.

He did the Fiat Lux.

12. Maybe its because I accept that everything cannot be explained through our short and limited knowledge. But I dont need the crutch of a religion to fill in the gaps, I just accept mankind does not have all the answers, and will not for a very long time.
    Like women.... let your god explain how they work, I'm in the congregation waiting for that answer :D

13. Reading a braille book, and twiddling his beard.

14. I trust it will outshine the Punto?

15. Moving into the FUP, obviously.

Either that or flipping through the pamphlet to see if the SRI should be left in or not.