What was exactly the lie Bush told?

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by ctauch, Oct 14, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have heard over and over and over again here and else where...yes even the US press and from Kerry himself...that Bush lied to take us to war.

What exactly was the lie Bush told to take us to war?

Serious responses only...please

2. From Dictionary.com

lie2
    n.
    1. A false statement deliberately presented as being true; a falsehood.
    2. Something meant to deceive or give a wrong impression.

v. lied, ly·ing, (lng) lies
    v. intr.

1. To present false information with the intention of deceiving.
    2. To convey a false image or impression: Appearances often lie.

Add in WMD an Al Queda links and we are pretty much there.

3. that iraq was a direct threat to the us and britain.

it turned out it wasn't.

4. Oh please provide a quote from Bush...not some journo types impression of what Bush said, but an actual Bush quote where he said Iraq was a "direct" threat to the US and Britain.

5. unfortunately serious response will be in short supply.

the media have played so fast and loose with this that it is now simply inconceivable that anyone could think that Bush didn't lie.

but about what?

Point 1 - according to the ISG, the intelligence community was incorrect in their assetment of Iraq's arsenal, but that for all appearances, Saddam and Iraq, acted as if they were stockpiling and creating WMD's.

Now, that doesn't sound like a lie to me, just a mistake. Case in point.

If your Int tells you that the local ASU is about to carry out a spectacular in your TAOR and you act by arresting the prime suspect and it turns out he wasn't - were you lying to your OC or were you wrong?

Point 2 - Bush did say that there was a connection between Iraq and Al-Q, which turns out it didn't. No excuse there then. But, again, Bush told the UN he was going to war against Iraq as it had not complied with UN Resolutions, and the last Resolution, empowered and in fact demanded that the UN take action against Iraq for not complying. They didn't. Remember the French and Russians (hmmm, now were they lying) who said, "We need another Resolution". Well they didn't.

Kofi (my son's made millions!) Annan can go on all he wants about the war being illegal, it wasn't and there is f*ck all the UN can do about it.

by all means have a go at Bush, & co about there serious mistakes in Int and there p*ss poor planning for a post-Saddam Iraq, but could someone please change the "Bush lie, thousands died" record.

Bush was wrong, Saddam gunna hang! - good 'nuff for me!

6. I can't say that I know that Bush lied, I believe Blair knowingly lied to the UK people in order to take us to war.

7. my absolute pleasure, i also hope it is a response serious enough for plastic yank:

some bits from:

March 6, 2003 Press Conference on Iraq

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/03/06/bush.speech.transcript/

"Saddam Hussein is a threat to our nation."

"So therefore I think the threat is real. "

"Saddam Hussein and his weapons are a direct threat to this country, to our people and to all free people."

"I believe Saddam Hussein is a threat to the American people. I believe he's a threat to the neighborhood in which he lives. "

"I believe Saddam Hussein is a threat -- is a threat to the American people. "

"Secondly, the American people know that Saddam Hussein has weapons of mass destruction. "

"There is a poison plant in northeast Iraq. "

etc etc.

but the main one that you are looking for is:

again

"Saddam Hussein and his weapons are a direct threat to this country, to our people and to all free people."

8. So let me see if I understand the lie:

The fact that all intelligence pointed to Iraq having WMD.

The UN passing another, in a long line of resolutions, to get Iraq to finally disarm; based on intel gathered not only by the US and UK, but also from Syria, Jordan, Russia, France, etc..

I light of this intel, Bush came to the conclusion that Iraq posed a threat
    The weapons inspectors, admitted that Saddam was not fully cooperating, and they needed more time, even in light of the fact that 1441 said fully comply or else we come in and disarm you.

In light of all this Bush knew different. He knew what the rest of the world's intel community didn't know; that Saddam really wasn't a threat, but told us all otherwise. All to take us to war, against a threat he knew was not there. Now that is pretty clever for a shaved chimp. :roll:

9. Bush and his monkey bLiar should be made accountable for the deaths of all troops and civilians during this very sad state of affairs.
    its been non-stop lies from the pair of them and their parties from day one, Bin Laden nails the US and the US goes after Iraq, did they then expect the rest of the world to clear up their mess afterwards which they havent and thats why post war its been such a cluster cos the plan consisted of sod all.

10. Did the intel community really think Saddam was a threat way back when ? Or were they pointing out that it could not be proved that he wasn't ? There's a huge difference between the two positions but a bit of spin and suddenly the "facts" prove whatever you want them to.

11. I guess Bush was dead set against the war then? What reason would he have to push for military action if he wasn't arguing that Iraq was a direct threat to the US?

Remember William Casey hearing reports that the communists were aiding terrorists, and when he asked his staff to find evidence, they told him that they knew the reports were false, because they had started the rumours themselves?

If you want to believe those rumours badly enough, though...

12. Iraq was viewed a threat by the Clinton administration. Iraq had a known WMD capability. Saddam had demonstrated the will to use chemical weapons by his campaign against the Kurds. The CIA, MI6, German, French and Russian intel all said Iraq had a WMD capability. His increasing ties to terrorist groups meant there was a proliferation threat of WMD. After the fall of the regime we discover that Saddam's WMD programs were actually dormant to be activated when the sanctions were lifted.

13. what utter toss!! the ISG said that he didnt have any WMD programs and that any that he did have were sacked a decade ago!!

must.........clutch..........at............that.............straw........must.........believe.........everything.......our .......glorious....and.....honest.........president.......says.
    utter bollocks, you should be ashamed of yourself for that post tomy.

14. Now there is a spin. /\

The Int available was enough to convince not only GW but pretty much the whole congress of the US that invasion of Iraq was the right move. Yes, even Kerry, who later continued to insist that he believed WMD would yet be found.

Of course hind sight is everything, and it's easy to convince the sheeple to forget what transpired before the invasion.