What warm kit for BATUS?

On exercise in BAt arse between sept and november should i take my dual liner or MTFU and take softie jacklet only???

Bit gay i know, but i have only done the hot months so not sure how cold it can get

Agree with vampireuk, take every piece of warm kit you own.

The last time I went there was in Sep 2000 and the weather, initially, was redders, A week later we were en masse at the PX buying fleece liners for our sleeping bags.

Canada is shite.

Cheers guys was expecting some incoming, I know it does get very cold but was unsure if its worth loosing bergan soace for dual liner.

Done a MM7 in 1989.

It was ******* freezing. Because it was back in the day all I had was a parka, japsuit, and a 58 sleeping bag that was thin from all the feathers that had escaped in the dhobi.

Fast forward a few years and I've now been to Canada 8 times.

Pack more cold weather gear than you think you will need!

I live here now (having done MM4 & the Pond Jumps) and today the weather is 22 degrees staying that way until the w/e. That said, we also had snow in May this year. The weather could be quite balmy when you arrive, but by the end of October it will be fcuking freezing, especially if you're out on the Prairie. Pack everything.
With regard to MTFU - always an option, but it may cost you your balls to frostbite :)

IIRC it snowed in Aug '93.

Sluggie's right, take everything you may possibly need. MM1 '94 I used everything from two layers of fleece over/under combats to tshirt and shorts.

And gaiters.

<<Shudders>> I lived in the block with the chicks just opposite the Mess, but worked* in Mud City. When it rains, it rains.

*I use that term loosely, most of the time I was trying to blag helicopter flights or play Solitaire.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I strongly suggest you take a look at this page and some of the gear on it:

Clothing | Kit Reviews

Look at the stuff from Armadillo Merino and if you're feeling brave and sexy, the stuff from Nordic Life.

They're expensive, but they are the mutts nutts and will keep you warm and comfortable throughout as well as being durable and wicking enough to actually work in.

I highly recommend investing a bit of wonga into some serious base layers - apart from anything else, they'll last you as these are quality products. :)

I have fond memories of BATUS both as TS90 staff & a 2nd stint with my old Unit.

Either Softie or Buffalo (what ever your personnel preference)

Or if your nails.....Chinese fighting jacket ;-)

Twice.

Invest in a decent handwarmer, too. Make it three. The Zippo version that uses solid fuel is pretty good.

On secondt houghts, make it four.

-40C has a way of sneaking up on you and freezing you to death before you can say 'Getting chi..........................'

Remember the helicopter crewman in 'The Day after Tormorrow'?

tac