What type of Ex-Serviceman are you?

I know two blokes, both ex Army who quite literally couldn't be any different. It got me to thinking just how many 'types' of ex-Servicemen are there and where would you place yourself on a scale of 1 to 10 using the examples below?

Weighing in at a 10 we have the guy who served 3 years back in the 80s, has wristbands up to each elbow, so many lapel pins he walks with a stoop, every item of clothing is either ex QMs or has his old cap badge on it (looks good on his 19 stone God like physique), talks like he's still in the NAAFI with his oppos, sits poised across all social media waiting to deliver his expert military opinion on anything and everything, has a dog called Sapper/Gunner/Scout*, has military themed car stickers plastered all over the back of his free Mobility car (war wound, don't like to talk about it), uses his walking stick merely as a cap badge adorned prop (see previous), expects the Government to give him free *insert this week's hot topic* as well as preferential access to NHS/Starbucks et al, attends every photo opportunity for his local rag.

Scoring a paltry 1 is the guy who left as a SSM after 24 years, and by the following day was just another member of the public with no outward signs of ever having served. He visits his local war memorial once year to lay a poppy but other than that has no interest in anything military.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
By virtue of the fact I'm on here and clearly can't let go, I'd probably sit a two or three.

• I'm on ARRSE.
  • Any profile pictures anywhere of me are inevitably pics from Afghan because I'm proud as fuck of what I did over there.
  • I will usually drop a military story in conversation because they're the best ones. Well, as long as the convo is about sex.
  • I have most of my old gear in the attic
Thats it though. No walting as such. No wristbands, no lapel pins, no rememberance stuff, etc.

I know a few that score 1 right to an off the scale bling merchant.

One of the blokes is an ex TA Sapper who joined the Regs out of necessity , going through a divorce and his ex was a fat mental bird . Wears Army RFC shirts and will talk Army but freely admits he wasn' fussed on the Regs and it was a means to an end and nothing else.

The other is your typical covered in bling fat knobber who's service is a bit vague who screams look at me I was in the Army. The cock.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Who cares! As a solid #10 I am unanimous in this :desertsoldier::rmp: :D

I know two blokes, both ex Army who quite literally couldn't be any different. It got me to thinking just how many 'types' of ex-Servicemen are there and where would you place yourself on a scale of 1 to 10 using the examples below?

Weighing in at a 10 we have the guy who served 3 years back in the 80s, has wristbands up to each elbow, so many lapel pins he walks with a stoop, every item of clothing is either ex QMs or has his old cap badge on it (looks good on his 19 stone God like physique), talks like he's still in the NAAFI with his oppos, sits poised across all social media waiting to deliver his expert military opinion on anything and everything, has a dog called Sapper/Gunner/Scout*, has military themed car stickers plastered all over the back of his free Mobility car (war wound, don't like to talk about it), uses his walking stick merely as a cap badge adorned prop (see previous), expects the Government to give him free *insert this week's hot topic* as well as preferential access to NHS/Starbucks et al, attends every photo opportunity for his local rag.

Scoring a paltry 1 is the guy who left as a SSM after 24 years, and by the following day was just another member of the public with no outward signs of ever having served. He visits his local war memorial once year to lay a poppy but other than that has no interest in anything military.

You sound well jell of No.10 Bruv..... but is there a minus figure?

My army mates know of my time in green, some civvy mates too...other than that and a Reggie and H4H wristband, I look just like any other shifty looking sarf lunden scrote out on the rob

Some are the British Legion Riders lot.
I only know that because one of them lives near to me.

To be fair to him though, even with the leather waistcoat etc, they do quite a bit for RBL. Even if they do look a bit odd

Last edited:
You sound well jell of No.10 Bruv..... but is there a minus figure?

My army mates know of my time in green, some civvy mates too...other than that and a Reggie and H4H wristband, I look just like any other shifty looking sarf lunden scrote out on the rob
Wristbands.
Still don't get the point of those.
If you want to support a charity then give them money.

I have a few Fartbook friends who have Spr before and RE after their name. Kinda makes me cringe a bit. I understand the "being proud of your service" bitty, but sometimes you need to let go a bit.

I've got a rotund mate on FB who is ex sapper & been out since about 91. His 'job' is still listed as British Army & continually posts those tedious, 'copy & paste this tripe if you are a true mate & respect those who served' shite. On 'threat' of being unfriended if people dont' do it for him. Unfortunately the hemmer hasn't chinned be off yet despite 6 years of not sharing any of his twaddle.

Your input has been noted - thank you

PS You give them money and get a wristband to show that you give a feck - try it.
I give to RBL every year, generally get shot of any shrapnel in my pocket. Got one of those little metal poppies as it looks a bit smarter than the paper one.

Wristbands though. Not for me, but each to their own I suppose.

Years ago, as a recently joined member of a unit I was skulking past A bit of lawn near SHQ and a certain well respected member of the unit is tipping out all his ‘kit’ on the lawn.

I goes up and gingerly asks “what gives *****?”
He then goes on and tells me when you get out carry out a ‘cutaway’ drill and get rid of everything that will be an umbilical back to the army. Photo’s/the ‘me’ album is OK...can’t deny you were ever a soldier, but get rid of everything else.

Went onto to tell me how he spent 20 years growing up, 20 years living, now going to be 20 years dying.

I've got a Veterans lapel badge somewhere on a coat at the back of the wardrobe but when I left after 30 years I was determined not to be a "When Eye".
I have never done reunions apart from a one off Armourer's dinner with a friend and never been to retired whatever regimental dinners.
I decide when Cricket Bat Major sacked me and half the Corps that I would draw a line under it and start again.

Your input has been noted - thank you

PS You give them money and get a wristband to show that you give a feck - try it.
You wear a wristband to show everyone else that you have given some money.

Virtue signalling is the term.

Also you end up wearing plastic bangles.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Wristbands.
Still don't get the point of those.
If you want to support a charity then give them money.
Day and age mate where people don't like giving something for nothing and have to be rewarded for their selfless nature. Or better yet, be able to let everyone know how selfless they are.

Similar, no doubt, to others, and certainly similar to MrBane a 2/3...

I’m on ArRSe.

No badges or medals except once a year for the local remembrance service. Can’t buy a poppy as they’re not available here.

What I do use is the knowledge and skills I gained during my time in. I manage groups of disparate individuals, get them to bond and to a certain extent, trust each other, then put them through (what are for them), challenging situations. Team building through shared experience...

When I left I filled my car with every single thing I’d ever been issued with and returned it to the QMs. I did not keep one single thing. I avoid buying anything green, and my girlfriend has been told that I won’t wear anything green. My past is a closed book to her, and apart from with her ex-para father I never mention my service to anyone.

The past has gone, nothing can bring it back. I don’t deny however that I often meet Argentinians and am seriously tempted to mention The Falkland Islands, and pick a fight with them, but they take it all way too seriously.

I don’t deny my past, but neither do I glory in it; Bosnia/Croatia were shit places. Calling Iraq and Afghanistan shit, overrates them somewhat, but no one is interested. The civi cunts.

^much like the above. I kept a couple of pairs of boots and a green jumper because it was warm. I have still got my mess kit and service dress in a cupboard. I don't demand any favours because of my previous service. I was in the Army, I'm not any more.

You wear a wristband to show everyone else that you have given some money.

Virtue signalling is the term.

Also you end up wearing plastic bangles.
Maybe?.... I have 1 rubber wristband in Reggie colours and one other, they're unobtrusive , no dramas ....not one for every time I donate money e.g. RBL do a nice blue one with red poppies , I donate and have one of their bands but don't wear it.

Virtual signalling?.... going a bit deep into all this aren't you? Are you bored or just a grumpy cnut today?