Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

What TV show have you just watched

Finished Series 3 of Humans. Some plot & continuity holes but a bloody good series.

Series 3 of Versailles is superb too.

Romper Stomper on BBC2. Just watched the whole first series on Iplayer.
Aussie ex squaddie with an agenda infiltrates a Neo Nazi group in Melbourne.
Lots of threads, lots of suspense ( even the music makes me nervous) and a fair bit of mindless violence.
Lovely...

The last two episodes of Season Four of the Swedish/Danish co-production, "The Bridge", with Sofia Helin as the owner of the coolest Porsche 911 to ever be on four wheels, Saga Norén, better known as "Saga Norén, Länskrim Malmö" as that's how the character almost constantly introduces herself and answers the phone with. I'm going to miss her and the rest of the cast - it's been consistently one of the best cop shows on the television in recent history.

The Vietnam War (the Ken Burns production). I'm a couple of episodes in and it's certainly worth a watch. Very interesting.
Doesn't pull its punches, that's for sure. Plus, it adds some interesting info on the opinions of people who were there about major figures like J P Vann and such, as well as major events like the assassination of Diem.

The level of honesty displayed by many of the interviewees, the emotions and vunerbilties they opened up to the camera.... it's moving and fascinating. Again, a must watch.

Sherlock on Drama channel. Yes - I know I've got the boxset, but it's not the same.

I'm glad that little old lady blew up. She was scary.

More4 - Dunkirk - The new Evidence

I don't know when this was first shown but it was worth watching.

1531693941308.png

Asides from research, a pilots log book and tape recorded interview, some official records have been declassified and these verify the work done by RAF pilots inland attacking Luftwaffe aircraft before they took off or reached the beach. Hundreds of RAF aircraft and pilots were lost. Fighting in the air was a few miles up so out of sight of those on the ground.

Dunkirk: The New Evidence - All 4

The story of The Young Ones.
50 minute making of, exploring the origins of this landmark show and an exploration of the alternative comedy scene from which it came.
Interesting point was that Timothy Spall auditioned for the role of Mike but they felt that he looked too much like Neil. I was not allowed to watch it but when Mum and Dad went out my older Sisters let me stay up

More4 - Dunkirk - The new Evidence

I don't know when this was first shown but it was worth watching.

View attachment 342497

Asides from research, a pilots log book and tape recorded interview, some official records have been declassified and these verify the work done by RAF pilots inland attacking Luftwaffe aircraft before they took off or reached the beach. Hundreds of RAF aircraft and pilots were lost. Fighting in the air was a few miles up so out of sight of those on the ground.

Dunkirk: The New Evidence - All 4
I was left feeling somewhat cynical :( .

Particularly as the "experts" were variously described as aviation, RAF, historians.

It was said that - yes - the dog-fights took place at altitude "four miles" up, but at only 7000-8000ft they SHOULD have been heard, even if further inland, and even if low cloud cover prevented them been seen by those on the beach.

I only heard ONE RAF Squadron identified by its number. Only ONE Squadron.

Whilst prepared to accept the argument that the RAF were busy further inland, attaching airfields, and fighting German aircraft BEFORE they could attack the beaches and (small) ships, my cynicism does not allow me to believe the RAF pilots would fly over the beaches, see/know and IGNORE what was happening, fail to engage those attacking German aircraft, and proceed inland to attack airfields?! :( .

I was left feeling somewhat cynical :( .

Particularly as the "experts" were variously described as aviation, RAF, historians.

It was said that - yes - the dog-fights took place at altitude "four miles" up, but at only 7000-8000ft they SHOULD have been heard, even if further inland, and even if low cloud cover prevented them been seen by those on the beach.

I only heard ONE RAF Squadron identified by its number. Only ONE Squadron.

Whilst prepared to accept the argument that the RAF were busy further inland, attaching airfields, and fighting German aircraft BEFORE they could attack the beaches and (small) ships, my cynicism does not allow me to believe the RAF pilots would fly over the beaches, see/know and IGNORE what was happening, fail to engage those attacking German aircraft, and proceed inland to attack airfields?! :( .

Put quite simply, they weren't deployed over the beaches so wouldn't have seen the beaches being attacked. Besides, iirc the air defence of the beaches was the Navy's remit combined with whatever AA assets the BEF had, thereby creating a de-conflicted airspace above the beaches. Letting the RAF get in amongst the german a/c above the beaches would have resulted in many more losses.
Air losses in the battle for france were so high that Dowding demanded assurances that no more squadrons would be deployed to France, instead they were using advanced landing fields & the like as well as Marston to launch patrols from. There wasn't much point in having roving patrols over the beaches, much more efficient to have them in land able to attack bomber streams en-route. We shouldn't forget the German fighter strength was in their favour too due to the number of RAF fighters dowdiing did allow to over.

Dunkirk: The Forgotten Heroes - All 4

The story of the 51st Highland Division, finally cornered at St Valery en Caux. VG dit.

Missing from the muster, Cdr (later Vice Admiral) Bob Elkins, marooned ashore with a small scratch lot from the 51st. Surrounded, he took charge and with his new chums fought on until they ran out of ammunition and had to give up. Rommel sent for Elkins to find out why he hadn't surrendered when his position was first seen to be obviously hopeless. Elkins: 'What would you have done, Sir?' Rommel sent for a bottle of wine, split it with Elkins and then sent him off to join the other PoWs. Early on the march he and a Pongo figured that if they were going to do anything they needed to do it before the Germans got properly organised. The dodged off at a suitable moment, stole a boat, and rowed back, eventually to Hayling Island. His widow (distant cousin of Mrs S) told us this story showed us a small display case of the contents of his pockets from when he came ashore,