What TV show have you just watched

Like some on here, I've just started 'Dopesick' having watched the first episode last night.

It is thoroughly compelling & Michael Keaton is excellent as the small town doctor who *spoiler*.

It's so convincing it's made me so cynical of bigpharma overnight; I'll be binning all my face nappies and gluing my face to a motorway near you this weekend.

NSP

LE
Deadwind. Skandi noir from Finland. Lady detective unravels complex, convoluted, twisting murder case. Is fit. It's also very good. Subtitled.

The Valhalla Murders. Skandi noir from Iceland. Lady detective unravels complex, convoluted, twisting murder case. Is fit. It's also very good. Defaults to subtitles but if you go into the settings there's an English dubbed soundtrack available.

Both on 'Flix.

I have finished watching the Israeli police drama Manayak. It was tolerably good, and the preview shots during the closing credits of the final episode make it clear there will be a second series. The streaming service (SBS Australia) tells me that it will be 'remade' in the US.

I did find that actress* Liraz Chamami added heaps to the watchability, your mileage may vary, as they say:

Liraz Chamami.jpg

* I will surely burn in hell for using that word.

Lacking Moral Fibre

War Hero
Book Reviewer

Watched the first episode last night, its based on a true story.
It was alright, a bit silly but fine performances as ever from David Thewlis and Olivia Colman.
Here's the rub, I don't watch BBC drama anyway because every one has most of the important characters are played by BAME actors which doesn't yet mirror reality and is just the usual virtue signaling, particular senior officials like the Police and in this the defence lawyer.
In this case the senior detective was white but he was a crude, load mouthed swearing bully. His 2 investigating CID officers were a clever female and a dark skinned chap, he was made up and spoke like something out of the 1970's and she looks like a LGBT type, trying to make it in a white male dominated world.
There were many background coppers again mostly BAME as was the CSI.
I watch enough reality Police programes to know that most detectives are clever(ish) calm quitely spoken equally male and female and very much a team effort not some shouty bloke in a mac throwing his takeaway coffee cup when he's frequently angry.
The ending of last nights episode where the couple are allowed to return to UK on Eurostar and even walking off the train to RV with Police, there must have been 30 mainly armed coppers plus 2 mounted officers waiting patiently by the exit.
If I were Police I'd find this a bit of an insult and doesn't do much to show the 'service' in a professional way.
Yes I know its artistic licence but this was a Sky Atlantic product so I assume our American friends will be watching.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer

Watched the first episode last night, its based on a true story.
It was alright, a bit silly but fine performances as ever from David Thewlis and Olivia Colman.
Here's the rub, I don't watch BBC drama anyway because every one has most of the important characters are played by BAME actors which doesn't yet mirror reality and is just the usual virtue signaling, particular senior officials like the Police and in this the defence lawyer.
In this case the senior detective was white but he was a crude, load mouthed swearing bully. His 2 investigating CID officers were a clever female and a dark skinned chap, he was made up and spoke like something out of the 1970's and she looks like a LGBT type, trying to make it in a white male dominated world.
There were many background coppers again mostly BAME as was the CSI.
I watch enough reality Police programes to know that most detectives are clever(ish) calm quitely spoken equally male and female and very much a team effort not some shouty bloke in a mac throwing his takeaway coffee cup when he's frequently angry.
The ending of last nights episode where the couple are allowed to return to UK on Eurostar and even walking off the train to RV with Police, there must have been 30 mainly armed coppers plus 2 mounted officers waiting patiently by the exit.
If I were Police I'd find this a bit of an insult and doesn't do much to show the 'service' in a professional way.
Yes I know its artistic licence but this was a Sky Atlantic product so I assume our American friends will be watching.
Of course - didn't you get the memo?

White people=stupid or obnoxious, female/minorities/disabled - most excellent.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Social Media Murders - ITV
Focuses on murders that have been facilitated/celebrated on social media. I've watched two episodes so far - Alex Rodda (a 15-year old homosexual child who is groomed and battered to death by his 18-year old boyfriend) and Molly McLaren, a 22-year old who was brutally murdered by her ex-boyfriend in a crowded car park.

They have been very good and it has highlighted exactly how easy it is for a stalker to gain int on their victims from the comfort of their own home and how pernicious it can be.

Like some on here, I've just started 'Dopesick' having watched the first episode last night.

It is thoroughly compelling & Michael Keaton is excellent as the small town doctor who *spoiler*.

It's so convincing it's made me so cynical of bigpharma overnight; I'll be binning all my face nappies and gluing my face to a motorway near you this weekend.
Incidentally Amazon Primes Goliath S4 covers the same story albiet in a much different way but it's all about the Oxycontin travesty and the twats behind it..

Andy Bear

Clanker
Just finished my annual binge watch of Piece of Cake. The story of a fighter squadron in the opening months of WW2. Transitioning from a playboy flying club to a veteran squadron as the realities of aerial warfare hit home hard. It does differ in detail from the book it is based on, but it it is still an excellent miniseries. It caused quite a stir when it came out in the eighties as it did not depict the pilots as paragons of virtue. Many of the characters, especially Moggie, are absolute barstewards. IMHO I think it makes the story all the more interesting and relatable, adding layers and dimensions rather than one dimensional heroes.

The Queen's Gambit on Netflix.
Having won 11 Emmys I thought it would be worth a watch. It wasn't.
Three and a half hours (if you stick with it all) following some ginger bint growing up, learning to play chess, discovering boys, chess, drink, chess and drugs... I skipped through a great deal of it.
Maybe the book was better?

TamH70

MIA
The Queen's Gambit on Netflix.
Having won 11 Emmys I thought it would be worth a watch. It wasn't.
Three and a half hours (if you stick with it all) following some ginger bint growing up, learning to play chess, discovering boys, chess, drink, chess and drugs... I skipped through a great deal of it.
Maybe the book was better?

Or you could read a book about Bobby Fischer, the real-life chess grandmaster whose life story Netflix and the makers of that crap stole from as their "inspiration".

Tried to watch Landscapers and Ragdoll last night.

Landscapers may make it to episode two despite the silliness.

Ragdoll didn't make it to the end of Ep 1. Serial killer gets beaten up badly by the main detective in the courtroom when inadmissable evidence sets him free. Does spending time in jail (possibly a pyshciatric hospital) get him kicked off the force? Nah does it fcuk, he's back in charge when the killings resume which cues many directors interpretation's of mind fuckery. I hate it when they do this repeatedly, flashing backwards and forwards between reality and craziness really spoils the narrative and storyline for me. So off it got fcukked.

TamH70

MIA
In the not for everyone category.

On the other hand, a 2nd season of Alex Ryder came out on Amazon Prime so I watched that instead.

The story lines are well done and move along quickly enough to keep one interested, Ryder doesn't have super powers or any of that crap btw which keeps the show on the level and better than the two programs I mentioned earlier.

Believable maybe not - but didn't every schoolboy dream about being a secret agent?

TamH70

MIA

On the other hand, a 2nd season of Alex Ryder came out on Amazon Prime so I watched that instead.

The story lines are well done and move along quickly enough to keep one interested, Ryder doesn't have super powers or any of that crap btw which keeps the show on the level and better than the two programs I mentioned earlier.

Believable maybe not - but didn't every schoolboy dream about being a secret agent?

I saw the film based on the first book in that series, Stormbreaker, a while back. It was quite entertaining. Alex's selection course bit is a thing of beauty. Especially what he ends up doing to a bunch of bullying DS types.

Incidentally Amazon Primes Goliath S4 covers the same story albiet in a much different way but it's all about the Oxycontin travesty and the twats behind it..
Goliath is an excellent series. Though the bit (S2?) where he wakes up stuck in the house with the weirdos was a bit tedious. Thornton seems to get better with age.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer

Are you 12?

;)

Latest Threads