What TV show have you just watched

Also second the recommendation for Paris Police 1900. Good acting and script, decent plot, excellent sets (of the quality the BBC usually claims it is the only company capable of). Any series that opens with a bloke croaking whilst getting a blow job grabs your attention. Interesting perspective on the development of police forensics with science starting to take over from quackery and pseudoscience. One of the characters, Alphonse Bertillon, was a real person and a sort of pioneer of forensics.

Bad form to quote yourself but it's only for reference.

Not only was Bertillon a real character, the whole plot was mostly based on real events in 1899.

Lepine was a real Commissioner of Police in Paris and the Guerin/Fort Chabrol siege was a real event.

The rest of the plot was just inserted into the real events.

Fort Chabrol — Wikipédia (if it comes up in fFrog click English at the top).

EDIAS.

Last edited:
Dopesick, about the Big Pharma opioid problem in the USA, 1 episode in and its just an eye opener, like most had a vague understanding but this just looks like a colossal screw up or just dont care about poor people lets make huge amounts of money.

I read the book. Alarming.

What service/channel is it on?

Even having read the book I still don't understand how you get high on prescription painkillers. I took codeine for yonks and couldn't wait to get off it. I know Oxycontin and Fentanyl are much more powerful than codeine/paracetamol but even so!

philc

LE
I read the book. Alarming.

What service/channel is it on?

Even having read the book I still don't understand how you get high on prescription painkillers. I took codeine for yonks and couldn't wait to get off it. I know Oxycontin and Fentanyl are much more powerful than codeine/paracetamol but even so!

Its out on the net, sure it will be on BBC or wherever, in a nutshell they managed to get what was an opioid based drug marked down as not addictive, when it was.

I don't know if anyone has posted this before, so here it is.

A BBC Fly on the wall documentary, Blair & Brown - The New Labour Revolution.

Captivating, informative, enlightening, excruciating painful recap of everything surrounding the rise and fall of the New Labour movement. Eye opening recap to summarise the events during Tony Blair's ten year reign as British Prime Minister.

It has made me look at Gordon Brown in a completely different light altogether.

Riveting watch.

Mrs. Wilson. 3 episodes, Netflix. A woman's husband dies and another woman turns up claiming to be his wife. And then a bit of a story unfolds as to his past and her subsequent attempts to get to the truth. Starts in 1963 and dips back to WW2 and his wartime intelligence service. Based on a true story. How true? Well Ruth Wilson plays Mrs. Wilson and she is the grandaughter of Alec Wilson. So, she plays her grandmother in it. I shall say no more, but if you do watch it then the wikipedia entry for Alexander Wilson is also interesting and sheds more light on the story. But I wouldn't read it before watching.

Feel my pain ......

It's Saturday night ....sigh ..... "f ucking Strickly in the background
It will be just as bad tomorrow night when the results come on

and Bake off next week ....thankfully it's all she really watches on trash TV

never mind though, episode 6 of Paris Police 1900 on at 9 after her shite, maybe the penulimate episode after , depends how long it takes to drink that bottle of McGguigans merlot after it ends

Another Japanese manga series, The Way of the Househusband.

The premise to the show is of a notorious Yakuza assassin who married a successful businesswoman and settled down to run the home, strictly according to the customs and practice of ninkyo.

It's presented as a series of short vignettes with each episode having half a dozen or so and the humour revolves around the clash between his OTT sense of honour and the everyday situations he finds himself in.

It's utterly hatstand and I love it.

Watched the three episodes of Stephen last night (ITV catch-up). About a dogged DCI re-investigating the murder of Stephen Lawrence 17 years after the event and having to put up with a lot of resistance and obstruction from within the Met.

The ramifications of this case are still going on (or at least they were in 2016). It also caused changes in the law by removing double jeopardy in certain cases.

I doubt if anything would have changed were it not for the determination of Paul Dacre, editor of the Daily Mail, to see a successful prosecution. An editor is going out on a limb when he produces a front page like this:

Murderers_%28Daily_Mail%2C_1997%29.jpg

Needless to say, none of the accused sued the DM. (Hard to believe I have said something positive about the DM but I suppose even a stopped clock is right twice a day).

First time I have ever seen Steve Coogan in a non-comedy role (being generous and including Alan Partridge as comedy). Not seen a single film he has appeared in.

TamH70

MIA
Another Japanese manga series, The Way of the Househusband.

The premise to the show is of a notorious Yakuza assassin who married a successful businesswoman and settled down to run the home, strictly according to the customs and practice of ninkyo.

It's presented as a series of short vignettes with each episode having half a dozen or so and the humour revolves around the clash between his OTT sense of honour and the everyday situations he finds himself in.

It's utterly hatstand and I love it.

That looks fantastic. Pity it's on Netflix.

Finally got around to watching Mare of Easttown on Sky. Fook me this is good. Am on Ep 6 now but after a cpl of slow & quiet episodes at the start all of a sudden it goes into excellent tv show territory. Agree with previous comments about the show. Winslet is superb as is the rest of the cast.
Really well done & recommended by this divvy.
Watched it over the weekend.
As you say, slow to start but very good.

TamH70

MIA
Finished watching the Japanese anime series "The Royal Tutor". It's bloody good. Voice acting is top-tier, character models are clean, the sets and architecture of the setting are beautiful, the story is engrossing with some great character development, and it's altogether the kind of show that Western animation could be but never will be because the people running networks over here are stupid. And the Woko Halaal idiots would no doubt complain that the royal family in the show are depicted as competent, caring about their people, and are willing to learn in order to grow to be better at their job of ruling their people.

Five very smol professors with adult voices out of five.

The whole show is available on Microsoft's store, in both English-dubbed form, and the original Klingon with English subtitles. Ignore the former, you'll thank me.

Highly recommended and largely accurate.

I bet it doesn't mention the attack made by British Submarine Sturgeon(Sixth Submarine Flotilla) against the German transport Pionier in September 1940. Lots of equipment and personnel went to the bottom. It is still unclear how much of this attack was the result of decrypts. Sturgeon was spookily in just the right place at just the right time to bring the putative experimentation to a temporary halt. It is a strange story.

I bet it doesn't mention the attack made by British Submarine Sturgeon(Sixth Submarine Flotilla) against the German transport Pionier in September 1940. Lots of equipment and personnel went to the bottom. It is still unclear how much of this attack was the result of decrypts. Sturgeon was spookily in just the right place at just the right time to bring the putative experimentation to a temporary halt. It is a strange story.

Never heard of it before, but it seems to have been one very unlucky submarine.

Most of its torpedoes seem to have missed, it was bombed by the Allies twice and it was damaged when it hit the sea bed.

When it was scrapped in 1946 I imagine a lot of sun dodgers breathed a sigh of relief.

Watched the three episodes of Stephen last night (ITV catch-up). About a dogged DCI re-investigating the murder of Stephen Lawrence 17 years after the event and having to put up with a lot of resistance and obstruction from within the Met.

The ramifications of this case are still going on (or at least they were in 2016). It also caused changes in the law by removing double jeopardy in certain cases.

I doubt if anything would have changed were it not for the determination of Paul Dacre, editor of the Daily Mail, to see a successful prosecution. An editor is going out on a limb when he produces a front page like this:

Murderers_%28Daily_Mail%2C_1997%29.jpg

Needless to say, none of the accused sued the DM. (Hard to believe I have said something positive about the DM but I suppose even a stopped clock is right twice a day).

First time I have ever seen Steve Coogan in a non-comedy role (being generous and including Alan Partridge as comedy). Not seen a single film he has appeared in.

Coogan I think was excellent in Stan and Ollie and well worth a watch. Obviously played a comedian character, but played it well as a straight part.

Coogan I think was excellent in Stan and Ollie and well worth a watch. Obviously played a comedian character, but played it well as a straight part.
Plus 1 for that. He is building a good reputation as a serious actor.

Never heard of it before, but it seems to have been one very unlucky submarine.

Most of its torpedoes seem to have missed, it was bombed by the Allies twice and it was damaged when it hit the sea bed.

When it was scrapped in 1946 I imagine a lot of sun dodgers breathed a sigh of relief.
Submarine operations in the North Sea 1939-41 were more challenging than any other theatre of the undersea war. All East coast submarine flotilla s suffered crippling losses during this period, largely due to mines.
The Sixth Flotilla was wiped out. Of the boats which served with the Flotilla. In 1939, only Ursula and Sturgeon survived to fight in the Biscay sector and the Mediterranean, respectively in 1941.
I can assure you that Sturgeon was considered a very lucky boat indeed.

Last edited:

Latest Threads