What TV show have you just watched

Shiyakusho, a Japanese TV adaptation of a manga strip. It centres around the staff and clientele if the titular 'Ministry of Death', where the newly-deceased go to complete the bureaucratic requirements of the afterlife.

By turns, it's weird, funny, touching and intriguing - especially the back-stories of the staff who are working off karmic penance for capital crimes in the world of the living.

Just been on Youtube and watched a couple of episodes of the BBC drama series, Privates. It seems to have a decent rating on IMDB, but I wasn't all that impressed.

I'm sure I must have seen worse depictions of Army training at some point, but I'm not 100% certain. The fact that some of the music is from years after the series is set, really annoyed me too.

Watched the whole thing, Im not sure what the point of the show was, the ending was shite.

Just started watching ‘L.A.’s Finest’ on Amazon Prime. Two female LAPD detectives, each with a past. Sydney Burnett (Gabrielle Union) is a black ex-DEA undercover operative who was exposed and tortured by the drugs gang she was investigating, and left in a coma. She was transferred to the LAPD on recovery but wants to exact revenge on her torturer - not necessarily by sticking to the law. (She starts by burning down his nightclub and stealing a $2 million drug shipment.)

Her partner is Latina LAPD Detective Nancy McKenna (the gorgeous Jessica Alba). Before joining the LAPD and marrying the District Attorney, she was Nancy Perez, a teenage getaway driver in a number of robberies -she was never caught as one of the robbers, who was caught, covered up for her. Both detectives’ pasts come back to haunt them and they try to keep things under wraps.

i wasn’t expecting much but the writing and acting is much better than I had hoped. I thought I was going to get a typical white cop/black cop buddy thing, but it is much darker, more intelligent and witty than I expected. The dialogue and banter between Syd and Nancy (ice touch there) is well written and funny, they also take the piss out of another pair of male cops, both called Ben - but the girls have a variety of other names for them.

An example of the witty dialogue is the following, when they both decide to take action that is not exactly legal:

Syd (the black one): “You know if we go to prison, we’ll end up in different gangs? I’ll probably have to shank you. Nothing personal. It’s a race thing..”

Nancy (the gorgeous Jessica Alba): You’ll have to get past Roxy first.”

Syd: Who’s Roxy?”

Nancy: “If I go to jail with this face, the first thing I’m gonna do is ‘wife up’. Roxy will look after me.”

I’m about halfway through season one. Much better than I expected.
Thanks for that - you makeit sound quite watchable.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Watched the whole thing, Im not sure what the point of the show was, the ending was shite.
I caught 10 seconds of it. They had an officer wearing a red NCO’s sash. Lost interest.

NSP

LE
The Forgotten Army on Prime. Series (dubbed into English) from India about the Indian Army role in fighting the Japanese. Pretty good first episode, with the Japanese reaching Singapore, short on ammo and food, and not believing their luck when Percival surrenders, as a British counter-attack would have forced them to retreat and be on the back foot irretrievably in the short to medium term. Focuses on a young Indian lieutenant and his fellow subaltern, seen through the eyes of trying to educate his 21st century grand-nephew, sold on the propagandic history of the INA and Chandra Bose (sadness in the old man's eyes), by explaining the fierce loyalty to the Crown felt by most Indian soldiers, even after being taken prisoner, under their warrior code of ethics (pride in the old man's eyes).

On episode two now, which explores the protagonists taking their platoons into the INA as Japanese allies to escape harsh treatment and captivity. Looking at the trailer it looks like they are going to take off once the opportunity to leave Singapore arises and form their men into a guerrilla force fighting the Japanese in Burma as part of the British army. Having watched the whole thing now they buy into the INA thing but are uneasy about fighting fellow Indians and even British troops, despite getting stuck in. Interspersed within, the modern-day uncle takes his great-nephew on the desired trip to Burma, where the nephew gets snap-happy when he shouldn't and they have to go on the run from the Burmese army, shooting a few in the process. This is juxtaposed with the uncle's war service. Ends up clearly being a propaganda piece for the INA and justifying what, in established jurisprudence, was treason. Meh. Watch it for the story, not the politics. Shows up the undoubted fighting spirit and bravery and (at an inter-unit level, at least) unfaltering loyalty of the Indian soldier, particularly the ones trained by the British...!

Claims to be based on true events. Maybe, maybe not... You have to overlook the obvious "plastic wood" on some of the Japanese rifles though - along with SMLEs in close up where the bold heads are clearly missing.

Last edited:

ches

LE
I watched the Nat Geo series, 9/11 One Day in America over the last week after some posters on this thread said it was good. Very glad i did. Superb 6 part series with some footage not seen by this call sign before. Have always had a close interest in the event so this was a very good series with some incredible stories unheard before - an Irish chap who escaped on of the towers found out hours later that his sister & niece were passengers on the 2nd plane to hit.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Vera; I do like the show, but I'm just a bit befuddled about the continuity peoples ideas. The lead, Vera, lives in a cottage on Holy Island, and can be called out at any time of the day or night, and be back at her police HQ ( which seems to be in Gateshead) in about twenty minutes. Now, apart from the fact that it is probably a good hour and a half drive, especially in an old Land Rover, has nobody considered the tide? The causeway between the mainland and the Island is not the easiest road to drive, especially when 20 ft of North Sea is washing over it. And, her bloody fuel bill must be enormous! That vehicle of hers is not what might be termed fuel efficient.

philc

LE
Vera; I do like the show, but I'm just a bit befuddled about the continuity peoples ideas. The lead, Vera, lives in a cottage on Holy Island, and can be called out at any time of the day or night, and be back at her police HQ ( which seems to be in Gateshead) in about twenty minutes. Now, apart from the fact that it is probably a good hour and a half drive, especially in an old Land Rover, has nobody considered the tide? The causeway between the mainland and the Island is not the easiest road to drive, especially when 20 ft of North Sea is washing over it. And, her bloody fuel bill must be enormous! That vehicle of hers is not what might be termed fuel efficient.

I like that Vera is always first on the scene in her trusty Landrover, its also full of local places I have sailed to up and down that coast.

It's representative of . . . of . . . something.

9/11 - Life under attack, ITV last night.

Documentary of the day by stitching together public shot footage. No narrator, presenter, explanations, contextualizations or expert opinions. Just the raw footage as filmed by the public, with some ATC radio snippets.

The most powerful and moving account of that day that I've seen so far

Documentary of the day by stitching together public shot footage. No narrator, presenter, explanations, contextualizations or expert opinions. Just the raw footage as filmed by the public, with some ATC radio snippets.

Agreed. Very good.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I watched the Nat Geo series, 9/11 One Day in America over the last week after some posters on this thread said it was good. Very glad i did. Superb 6 part series with some footage not seen by this call sign before. Have always had a close interest in the event so this was a very good series with some incredible stories unheard before - an Irish chap who escaped on of the towers found out hours later that his sister & niece were passengers on the 2nd plane to hit.
I’ve got episodes 5 and six left to watch. Agree with what you said, some remarkable stories.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Currently watching Ozark on Netflix. About a money launderer working for a Mexican drug cartel, he and his family have to move from Chicago down South and to redneck territory, he attempts to buy failing businesses to wash the dirty money through.
Rather violent in places, funny as well and I think it’s a damn fine watch with some brilliant acting, starring Jason Bateman and playing his partner in crime and wife Laura Linney.
I’ve just started series 3, that started with a bang.

Last edited:

More people were talkative and coherent than I thought would be but I suppose its a sels selecting sample. The Secret Service guy was interesting, I think he would have been in WTC 7 if I recall correctly? I wonder did he survive?

A quick heads-up for a couple of upcoming programmes that might interest some, if you're not already aware.

Monday on Channel 5 at 21:00 - Submarine: Life Under the Waves and on Tuesday on 5Select at 21:00 is Walking Wartime Britain.

Community.

I'm finding it hilarious. It's on Netflix.

Community.

I'm finding it hilarious. It's on Netflix.

Note. Netflix is not showing one of the best episodes.

See here:

1631218150013.png

1631218291541.png

Kinnell dont bother watching Question Of Sport hosted by Paddy McGuinness. Its absolute shite.

Boring as fcuk, no banter between the team captains, zilch.

Bring back Sue Barker, Phil Tufnell and Matt Dawson.

Latest Threads