What TV show have you just watched

exspy

LE
Watching the new series of code404, about a copper who gets killed and comes back as AI. Quite funny in places, boring in others.

Made me fall in love with Anna Maxwell Martin.

3744.jpg

Issi

LE
Please don’t judge me but I watched the new Equaliser last night. Oh dear!

I never watched the original show but am led to believe that it was about a chap who would ‘fix’ things if you were ever being hassled by Triad gangs or other ne’er do wells.

Now it’s 2021, so naturally the main bloke is now a black single parent female, who educates her sassy daughter by stating-

‘society is trying to lock innocent black girls up, and it’s up to you to prove them wrong’

She then goes on to admit that she only got into this line of business as she was a teenage car thief because ‘I was young and angry’, and the judge offered her prison or the Army, the latter she chose , and learnt her James Bond style skills there.

In case you hadn’t noticed, I wasn’t a big fan of it.

clothears

War Hero
I loved the original "Equalizer" Robert Woodward was like a retired 007 who tried to fix the world, one want ad at a time.

Adam Ant or whatever his real name is played an great villan.

But this last year on North American tv has sucked. Too PC and to BLM. Every show had a bended knee and a "we can do better" theme.

TamH70

MIA
Please don’t judge me but I watched the new Equaliser last night. Oh dear!

I never watched the original show but am led to believe that it was about a chap who would ‘fix’ things if you were ever being hassled by Triad gangs or other ne’er do wells.

Now it’s 2021, so naturally the main bloke is now a black single parent female, who educates her sassy daughter by stating-

‘society is trying to lock innocent black girls up, and it’s up to you to prove them wrong’

She then goes on to admit that she only got into this line of business as she was a teenage car thief because ‘I was young and angry’, and the judge offered her prison or the Army, the latter she chose , and learnt her James Bond style skills there.

In case you hadn’t noticed, I wasn’t a big fan of it.

The two Denzel Washington films in the franchise are top quality viewing. Good plots well acted, good direction, and lots and lots of satisfying R-rated slaughter.

Some of us were fortunate enough to have a guided tour of a missile boat at Faslane during the mid 80's.
We were doing the night guard at Edinburgh Castle & IIRC, the Sqn 2i/c's brother or brother in law served on it.
Very interesting & not nearly as roomy as "Vigil" suggests.
Very interesting talking to the crew as well, it still being during the Cold War.
I was talking to a PO who asked what I did.
"Tank commander".
"Couldn't do with being all closed in like that" he replied with a grin.
Vigil
Women coming to sort out corrupt men again

Is this going to end like the real Swedish submarine thingy?
Or , an Agent Starling v Buffalo Bill hide-n-seek among the launch tubes?
Or, The Wicker Man , imprisoned in a giant statue of the RN Submarines dolphin, constructed of old takeaway containers on the Isle of Tyree, a burning symbol of misogyny in action?

Answers of the back of a postage stamp and addressed to anyone but me

Choux Bun

Old-Salt
"One day in America" on National Geographic about 9/11.
I was on nights that week & came down stairs just before the second plane hit & assumed the other half was watching a film.
We were pretty well glued to the TV until well after midnight with a horrified fascination.
Often, before a programme you'll see "some viewers may find the following upsetting".
Even now, twenty years later, it still brings a lump to the throat.
Probably the most horrifying thing I've ever seen.
Compelling and excellent, even though we all know what happened. Some of the stories by survivors and members of the emergency services are harrowing, some clearly deserve the description of 'hero".

We've just started watching something called GIRI/HAJI (Duty/Shame) and that is quite watchable so far. Kelly MacDonald is in it which is always a bonus for me. I shall never forget her in Trainspotting.

Just watching 'Simply Raymond Blanc'

A proper chef whom I respect a lot and his recipes are achievable by me and appreciated by the current mrs_mush.

Unlike that fat mockney cnut

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Just watching 'Simply Raymond Blanc'

A proper chef whom I respect a lot and his recipes are achievable by me and appreciated by the current mrs_mush.

Unlike that fat mockney cnut
Gordon Ramsey?

philc

LE
We've just started watching something called GIRI/HAJI (Duty/Shame) and that is quite watchable so far. Kelly MacDonald is in it which is always a bonus for me. I shall never forget her in Trainspotting.

I really enjoyed that series, entertaining stuff.

philc

LE
Seems to new Question of Sport is not up to scratch, even the Guardian are slating it.

Still I might watch.

E-YbQvtXsAIZQnV.jpg

Last edited:
I've just finished a quite amusing Australian comedy on Stan called Back in Very Small Business. It picks up from Very Small Business of ten years previous. IMDb describes it as follows:

Back in Very Small Business finds Don Angel (introduced in the 2008 series Very Small Business) at the helm of the World Wide Business Group where he and his business partner, Ray, have found success in their 'Don's Dirty Dog Wash' franchise. Encompassing five other small businesses, the WWBG is staffed by an ethnically diverse, gender fluid, psychologically fragile menagerie, all hired on government subsidies. While Don enjoys the spoils of his burgeoning empire, he continues to be plagued by the consequences of both his morally questionable business practices and his delinquent emotional life.​

Sophisticated it is not, but it is entertaining and the final episode had me laughing aloud.

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
Just started watching ‘L.A.’s Finest’ on Amazon Prime. Two female LAPD detectives, each with a past. Sydney Burnett (Gabrielle Union) is a black ex-DEA undercover operative who was exposed and tortured by the drugs gang she was investigating, and left in a coma. She was transferred to the LAPD on recovery but wants to exact revenge on her torturer - not necessarily by sticking to the law. (She starts by burning down his nightclub and stealing a $2 million drug shipment.)

Her partner is Latina LAPD Detective Nancy McKenna (the gorgeous Jessica Alba). Before joining the LAPD and marrying the District Attorney, she was Nancy Perez, a teenage getaway driver in a number of robberies -she was never caught as one of the robbers, who was caught, covered up for her. Both detectives’ pasts come back to haunt them and they try to keep things under wraps.

i wasn’t expecting much but the writing and acting is much better than I had hoped. I thought I was going to get a typical white cop/black cop buddy thing, but it is much darker, more intelligent and witty than I expected. The dialogue and banter between Syd and Nancy (ice touch there) is well written and funny, they also take the piss out of another pair of male cops, both called Ben - but the girls have a variety of other names for them.

An example of the witty dialogue is the following, when they both decide to take action that is not exactly legal:

Syd (the black one): “You know if we go to prison, we’ll end up in different gangs? I’ll probably have to shank you. Nothing personal. It’s a race thing..”

Nancy (the gorgeous Jessica Alba): You’ll have to get past Roxy first.”

Syd: Who’s Roxy?”

Nancy: “If I go to jail with this face, the first thing I’m gonna do is ‘wife up’. Roxy will look after me.”

I’m about halfway through season one. Much better than I expected.

Last edited:

B42T

LE
Binged season 7 of Bosch with my Dad today. Hadn’t planned to binge it but it really was excellent. As always.

Just a shame that it’s come to the end.

Read the books and they are great, but the series has been a bit hmmm for me, also I hate that shite music they seem to play at every possible moment, put me right off.

B42T

LE
I that being a nutter is part of the job description for any member of our armed forces. What else would you call someone who does a four in the morning sentry duty in some godforsaken forest in the Scottish hills and has volunteered to be there?

Your average civvy would blanch at that.

Cnut, you've just given me flashbacks to Gairlochhead

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I’ve just watched White Lotus. A very weird show. It wasn’t about anything. All the characters are horrible and nothing good happens.

It’s darkly funny and I hope they can do as well in season 2.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Seems to new Question of Sport is not up to scratch, even the Guardian are slating it.

Still I might watch.

View attachment 601624
Final sentence of Guardian article
"How long before a satanist hosts Songs of Praise?"

Ouch!! :)

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Compelling and excellent, even though we all know what happened. Some of the stories by survivors and members of the emergency services are harrowing, some clearly deserve the description of 'hero".
Just watched a couple of Netflix docs of the same...realised that when I saw the original newscast "live" I thought my sister was watching a movie....when the second tower hit happened we switched off, couldn't watch anymore. Somehow, I have managed to NOT see any footage of this since the day it happened until this week. Not actively avoided it, just haven't sought it out I guess. The calls of the people on the upper floors asking for help; the aircraft passengers calling loved ones to say goodbye...and interviews with survivors, some ruffty-tough looking firefighters sobbing...well that just about did me in. So terribly sad.
The doc "Turning Point" is going into a fair bit of detail of the years following 9/11, pursuit of Bin Laden, etc. Very interesting.

Latest Threads