What TV show have you just watched

I thought the way the final episode ended was very clever. Do you know that there will be another series?
Screenshot_20210621-085210_Chrome.jpg

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Currently making my way through a Touch of Frost with David Jason. Compared to some of the current guff I find it an excellent series and Jason plays an excellent Frost. I haven't read any the books so have no reference to go by. I know Sir David will be most remembered for Only Fools and Horse or Open All Hours but in Frost he really shows his talent.
I loved the Supt character, they made him out to be a right idiot without him realising.
In one episode Frost gets the nod for promotion and the Supt says to him,
”You‘re one of us now”. The look on Frost’s face was a picture, great acting all round.
Whoever wrote the script deserves a knighthood just for that.

Thanks (for doing my Googling for me) - I'll keep an eye open for it. I reckon it will open with Doron in a mental institution somewhere in the Negev . . .
Poor old Doron, he's had more scars on his head than a scarry thing with scars on it...

diehard57

War Hero
IWM: The True Glory
On Talking pictures now.
Documentary about D Day and the Allied Invasion.
Lots of clips I had not seen before.
Great documentary, Richard Attenborough, John Laurie, Jimmy Hanley and Leslie Dywer recorded some of the voiceovers. The cinematography was by Russ Meyer of “Faster Pussycat - Kill! Kill!” fame

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Another recommendation for Clarkson's Farm.
I've got a bit bored of the Grand Tour recently but watching Jeremy work his way through genuine (if perhaps some re-staged for camera) issues that farmers face is quite refreshing and it does show a quite human side to the likeable oaf.

Have heard from some friends that his girlfriend, Lisa, is a hard worker and she certainly comes across as that in the show as well.
I intended to watch an episode a week but ended up going through 4 episodes a night until it was done and could easily have watched more.

Entertaining, well made and, in parts, educational too.

I put the first episode on Saturday evening... Mrs Phantom and I binge watched the whole lot in one go (there was rum and crisps to keep us company)

Surprisingly watchable although some parts were clearly staged - like sending Kaleb off to London to fail to sell the Waasabi.

I must have missed the reason he needed to buy a tractor and all the equipment, what was being used on the farm when the 'man from the village' was running the place?

... and another thing, how come incomprehensible Gerald was suddenly easy to understand in the last scene? Did I suddenly become fluent in mumbling nutter?

philc

LE
Another thumbs up for Clarkson & his farm, just how much is a 1000 acre farm in that part of the world, all those Anti Clarkson Guardian types have done a great job in bringing him down.

diehard57

War Hero
Another thumbs up for Clarkson & his farm, just how much is a 1000 acre farm in that part of the world, all those Anti Clarkson Guardian types have done a great job in bringing him down.
I read he paid £4.2M for it in 2008 - now worth three times that amount…..

Yep big thumbs up on the Clarkson farm.
Saw the the recommendations on here and thought I would give a quick look.
Watched 6 episodes yesterday and finished it this morning.

First episode of the new series of Prodigal Son. Disappointing to say the least. Shan't be continuing with that.

First episode of series 4 of The Handmaid's Tale however looked promising. That will be recorded until the end of the series and then binge watched.

Together on beeb iPlayer.

A two hander, though there’s a kid roaming around, played also to camera. A disparate but so similar couple stuck together because of the kid, playing out their frustrations about each other and the pandemic lockdown with us the audience and themselves.

Sounds like it could be an earnest and tedious kitchen sink drama, since it did centre around the kitchen for most of it. Could be, for some who want Hollyoaks style drama.

McAvoy and Horgan did a fine acting job drawing in the viewer, and the interplay between them was brilliant with touches of humour, sadness and anger played out.

ches

LE
Binged through We Are Lady Parts via All4 the other day. Fooking funny as. Muslim girl punk band recruit a new lead guitarist who has chronic stage fright.
Some good music too.

Binged through We Are Lady Parts via All4 the other day. Fooking funny as. Muslim girl punk band recruit a new lead guitarist who has chronic stage fright.
Some good music too.
The drummer is fit as fcuk too..Plus the bird in the Blue Burkha smoking an e-fag through the bit that covers the face is dead funny.

Flies right in the face of the typical stereotypes.

I've just finished the second series (six episodes) of Secret City, set in beautiful Canberra. Available on Netflix. From IMDb:
Back for a second season, Secret City returns 2 years later after Harriet Dunkley spends time in a Federal Prison. There is of course another political web of deceit and a whole conspiracy for Harriet Dunkley to uncover. As the plot thickens and the pieces begin to fall into alignment, the season builds up to a climactic, but somewhat thought-provoking, highlighting dangers around technology and our own perceptions of war.
Quite a good yarn and the aspect I enjoyed was that I never quite knew who was a 'goody' and who a 'baddy'. Right up to the end of the last episode in fact.

Recommended and worth 8.5 twists and turns out of 10.

NSP

LE
Gallipoli on Prime (mini-series, not movie). Quite good at conveying the horrors of the campaign but heavily pushes the schtick that ANZAC were the only ones there and left to rot by the nasty colonial masters.

Gallipoli on Prime (mini-series, not movie). Quite good at conveying the horrors of the campaign but heavily pushes the schtick that ANZAC were the only ones there and left to rot by the nasty colonial masters.
Much as I like Aussies, they ignore anyone else's contribution at Gallipoli.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Tuesday and Wednesday were so busy for me I Watched all of Picard, season one

For me, Rios was the best character, with the actor having to play several versions with a variety of accents amused me

It was quite good apart from the ending being so cheesy my lactose intolerance made me shit myself.

The season two trailer shows the return of Q.

Much as I like Aussies, they ignore anyone else's contribution at Gallipoli.
Including the Kiwis, given half a chance. When planning was underway for an ANZAC Day dawn service on the beach in East Timor (2000) I suggested we invite the Bangladeshi engineers. When asked why I explained that they were the descendants of the Indian Army. So what . . .

Latest Threads