What TV show have you just watched

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
That would be based on Robert Ressler's work? Pioneered psychological offender profiling in the 1970s.

One of the officers who interviewed Kemper in real life recounted getting stuck in a cell with him during shift change, and having to bluff Kemper that the prison authorities let FBI keep a defensive weapon long enough to prevent him "twisting his head off".

It's in Ressler's book "Whoever Fights Monsters", which is a cracking read on the topic of the descent into some bad places.
Thanks for the heads up on that, I will make a note of that book.

This is what the series is based on.

Edited @Boumer your chap is the elder of the two characters although there is a big difference in the fictional characters personal life and the real life Ressler.

Last edited:

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
It wasn’t Netflix that pulled the plug it was the director, he said he needed to work on other things, he also said he’d do a third season, which if true would be epic, the potential interaction with Ted Bundy. One of the best TV shows I’ve seen.

Ah, thanks for the correction. I believe it was David Fincher who directed the series? He who did the better episodes of Game of Thrones, Seven and Alien 3?

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
That would be based on Robert Ressler's work? Pioneered psychological offender profiling in the 1970s.

One of the officers who interviewed Kemper in real life recounted getting stuck in a cell with him during shift change, and having to bluff Kemper that the prison authorities let FBI keep a defensive weapon long enough to prevent him "twisting his head off".

It's in Ressler's book "Whoever Fights Monsters", which is a cracking read on the topic of the descent into some bad places.
I thought it was based on John Douglas' work, based of his autobiography of the same name.

ETA - Ninja'd by @Gout Man

Thanks for the heads up on that, I will make a note of that book.

This is what the series is based on.

All served on the Behavioural Science Unit (which later became famous courtesy of Silence of the Lambs). Douglas's book is really good, though he nearly died through overwork at one point.

Profilers acquitted themselves well during Waco, being asked to provide psychological profiles on Koresh.

They [post incident enquiries] found that mid-level FBI officials who handled the Waco siege had little training or understanding of how to deal with a religious group such as the Branch Davidians. "The people at the mid-level had no clue what kind of group they were dealing with," said Ammerman. "Their understanding of the role of religion was that it was a cover for criminal activity or simply an expression of a psychotic or misguided personality."

Early in the siege, Peter A. Smerick, an agent at the FBI's behavioral science division at Quantico, Va., who was assigned to profile Koresh, wrote a detailed memo that represented the conclusions of the bureau's own behavioral experts. That memo found a high probability that the cult leader would commit suicide if directly confronted by the FBI.​

Bit of a "those aren't functional panzers near that bridge" moment there.....

I read at least one reliable account of Waco which said the profilers were leaned upon to alter their analysis to favour the need for "tactical" intervention, they refused and returned to the FBI Academy where they were stationed. Sadly nature then took its course.

Subsequent high profile incidents have seen better relianace on outside experts and the Behavioural Science Unit, all rolled into the FBI's Critical Incident Response Group (which is also where the tactical function of the Hostage Rescue Team is.

UK police used to have a similar psychological offender profiling function, including a jaw dropping "expert list" and detailed ability to search Police National Computer on a very granular level. Mainly used for stranger sexual assault. This was well before data science became sexier than sex.

But who needs experience, you can have a 1st from Loamshire Poly in Police and Dance studies and walk in as a detective now. What's that Boumer, the murder and rape conviction rate has gone down? STFU, I'm Sir Tom Winsor and you're not a team player!

Just for shitz 'n' gigglez.

(That's my coffe mug rug for scale)

IMG_20210611_101932.jpg
IMG_20210611_101944.jpg

witsend

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Season 2 is even better.

Edmund Kemper has a genius-rated IQ and it really comes across. A fascinating, awful man who liked to talk and was articulate and intelligent. A rare beast among the normal monosyllabic serials that are common.

The actor absolutely nailed him, I've seen footage of the real Ed Kemper and they are eerily alike.

Mindhunter has been cancelled after two seasons (it was initially slated for five) and although there are rumours about it being renewed, all the leads have had their contracts cancelled.

Stupid Netflix. Cancel intelligent programs in favour of more shite.
You’ve spoiled my day. That’s a great show but some nonsense gets renewed.

Just finished watching "Time" on BBC iPlayer.
No spoilers, but it was great. Didn't disappoint at all and fairy tale endings aren't on the cards.
Loved it.

Watched the 2nd episode yesterday and agree it's good. Bit of a niggle though thinking why would they put a mild mannered teacher with 4 year sentence in with violent criminals and lifers, wouldn't he be in a different category prison?

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Watched the 2nd episode yesterday and agree it's good. Bit of a niggle though thinking why would they put a mild mannered teacher with 4 year sentence in with violent criminals and lifers, wouldn't he be in a different category prison?

Very good question.

TamH70

MIA
Very good question.

And the answer is "It's because it's written by Jimmy McGovern, one of the more over-rated hacks that produce work for the telly. He wanted Sean Bean's character in that prison, so damn any veracity as that kind of thing is sooo over-valued."

ches

LE
Very good question.

Must some screws on here but as said my dad was one for 30 odd years, gen pop in the prisons was a mix of all sorts. Hardened lifer types on murder & armed robbery sentences along with fraud, burglary, traffic offences bods. The sex crime lot were known as the Rule 43's (until the Act's were changed in the 90's iirc) & were alway separate from the gen pop - likewise any in gen pop who needed protection or were mentally vulnerable would be segrgated.

pooky

War Hero
Clarkson’s Farm on Amazon Prime…..series about how Jeremy Clarkson decided to become a farmer following the retirement of his farm manager. Funny - especially episode 2 when he acquires a flock of sheep.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Sean Bean gave a quite brilliant performance in 'Broken' a few years back. I did not like the ideology of the series but the acting was transcendentally good. People, including me, forget that Sean Bean trained at RADA.
And don’t forget he was in The South Essex Regiment...

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Clarkson’s Farm on Amazon Prime…..series about how Jeremy Clarkson decided to become a farmer following the retirement of his farm manager. Funny - especially episode 2 when he acquires a flock of sheep.
Will he get an appearance on Country File:???:

Seconded. Excellent read.

Another vote for the Jimmy McGovern mini series Time, starring Sean Bean and Stephen Graham.
Bean is a revelation in my opinion, as I have him down as a pretty one dimensional actor, but he nails his part here, as a bemused middle aged man completely out of his comfort zone in a tough Prison surrounded by scum bags. Despite playing the part of a drink driver who kills a cyclist, his character draws a certain amount of sympathy from the viewer.
Stephen Graham is his usual excellent self, playing a decent, experienced Prison Officer, caught up in awful situation when he goes rogue in order to protect his own son, incarcerated in another Prison.
We binge watched all 3 episodes last night - gritty and uncomfortable at times, but the stellar cast (including the always excellent Siobhan Finneran) make it a must watch.
Highly recommended.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Another vote for the Jimmy McGovern mini series Time, starring Sean Bean and Stephen Graham.
Bean is a revelation in my opinion, as I have him down as a pretty one dimensional actor, but he nails his part here, as a bemused middle aged man completely out of his comfort zone in a tough Prison surrounded by scum bags. Despite playing the part of a drink driver who kills a cyclist, his character draws a certain amount of sympathy from the viewer.
Stephen Graham is his usual excellent self, playing a decent, experienced Prison Officer, caught up in awful situation when he goes rogue in order to protect his own son, incarcerated in another Prison.
We binge watched all 3 episodes last night - gritty and uncomfortable at times, but the stellar cast (including the always excellent Siobhan Finneran) make it a must watch.
Highly recommended.
I’d like to watch that but for some reason the BBCi player on my smart tv keeps buffering and spoils the viewing. I can watch films and everything else faultlessly on Amazon Prime and Netflix but the i player is bloody hopeless.:frustrated:
I know I have slow broadband living where I do but it’s strange that Prime and Netflix works without this buffering nonsense.
Any one else have this problem?

I’d like to watch that but for some reason the BBCi player on my smart tv keeps buffering and spoils the viewing. I can watch films and everything else faultlessly on Amazon Prime and Netflix but the i player is bloody hopeless.:frustrated:
I know I have slow broadband living where I do but it’s strange that Prime and Netflix works without this buffering nonsense.
Any one else have this problem?
We occasionally have a similar problem and being out in the sticks, our Broadband is a bit patchy at times.
It can be annoying if you’re binge watching and want to watch the next episode and the only way I’ve got around it is to let the next episode fully download before watching.
Thankfully, it’s a rare occurrence.
Are you aware the show is being shown on Sunday evenings in the ‘normal’ manner, with Episode 2 tonight and the final episode next Sunday?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
We occasionally have a similar problem and being out in the sticks, our Broadband is a bit patchy at times.
It can be annoying if you’re binge watching and want to watch the next episode and the only way I’ve got around it is to let the next episode fully download before watching.
Thankfully, it’s a rare occurrence.
Are you aware the show is being shown on Sunday evenings in the ‘normal’ manner, with Episode 2 tonight and the final episode next Sunday?
I wasn’t, thanks, I’ll see if it’s on demand or something and try and watch part 1. ETA.
Found all three on Catch Up. Now downloading all three episodes which should go on to my recorded programmes.
Thanks for the tip.:)

Last edited:

Latest Threads