What TV show have you just watched

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Time - BBC iPlayer

Sean Bean and Stephen Grahame star in this grim prison drama. Bean is a drunk driver who killed a man and Grahame is a prison screw. I can't remember the last time I saw Sean Bean acting in something, it may've even been Game of Thrones, but he nails the part of a middle-aged man who's out of his depth in the grim prison. His hangdog expression and furtive looks are exactly what you'd expect from a teacher whose life has taken a hard left turn.

Grahame is weirdly convincing as a short dude that you actually wouldn't want to cross. No mean feat when the cons are six feet plus and full of menace. Filming was done in a real disused prison I believe and the oppressive atmosphere shows here.

Cracking show, I have two more episodes left to do, but very tense with superb performances by all.

ches

LE
Time - BBC iPlayer

Sean Bean and Stephen Grahame star in this grim prison drama. Bean is a drunk driver who killed a man and Grahame is a prison screw. I can't remember the last time I saw Sean Bean acting in something, it may've even been Game of Thrones, but he nails the part of a middle-aged man who's out of his depth in the grim prison. His hangdog expression and furtive looks are exactly what you'd expect from a teacher whose life has taken a hard left turn.

Grahame is weirdly convincing as a short dude that you actually wouldn't want to cross. No mean feat when the cons are six feet plus and full of menace. Filming was done in a real disused prison I believe and the oppressive atmosphere shows here.

Cracking show, I have two more episodes left to do, but very tense with superb performances by all.

My old man was a screw in the high security wings for nigh on 30 years after the army. He was only 5'8" but had been a top amateur boxer (for the army) & qual'ed for the 60 Rome Olympics as well as 12 years Para Reg & SAS. He was like a little fcuking terrier type with the big blokes on the landings but had a punch like a fcuking mule on steroids.....i know cos i felt it a cpl of times, one which resulted in me being airborne over the back of the sofa. Apart from one time he was never challenged by any inmate. Some nails bastards in the prison service way back when.

RABC

LE
Time - BBC iPlayer

Just noticed 3 episodes are on BBC iPlayer. It looks grim but really good

Ted Lasso
First few episodes so far have been very enjoyable. Really well written and great characters.
Written by Ted I believe and pretty good for an American take on 'soccer', tons of outright laughs and some serious drama thrown in for balance. Series 2 is being filmed now I think.

Btw, Ted ended up dating (banging).....
1623237094038.png

after the show.

Hack. A shit U.S comedy effort.

Supposedly got a 7.9 on IMBD < I'm calling bullshit on this.

The wife binged watched all 8 episodes, not once did I hear a laugh, a snigger, or a titter and this is from a show about an old comedian legend who hires a younger comedy writer for new woke material.

Y'all will be pleased to know that EVERY diversity box was ticked as well.

Time - BBC iPlayer

We watched all three yesterday.
I couldn’t stand the tension.
Gawd knows what it’d be like if you were unfortunate enough to be in that position in real life.
The prison service really needs a shake up, IMO.

We watched all three yesterday.
I couldn’t stand the tension.
Gawd knows what it’d be like if you were unfortunate enough to be in that position in real life.
The prison service really needs a shake up, IMO.

ISTR that one of the guys in "Oz" is a drunk-driver. He ends up biting someones cock off.

Coventry Cathedral: Building for a New Britain​

9th June, BBC4,

"In November 1940, German bombers destroyed much of the city centre of Coventry and reduced the city’s medieval cathedral to rubble. Just 22 years later, in May 1962, a new cathedral designed by Basil Spence was consecrated on the site. Built in a bold modern style, incorporating the ruins of the old cathedral and adorned with a wealth of modern artworks, Coventry Cathedral is recognised today as one of Britain ‘s greatest postwar buildings.

Using a wealth of rarely seen archive film, together with voices from yesterday and today, the film tells the story of the new cathedral and of the times in which it was created."

BBC Four - Coventry Cathedral: Building for a New Britain You can watch again on BBC4 at 02:15 on Sunday morning or on iPlayer.

This was really excellent from BBC. The Coventry Telegraph liked it too:

Amazing new BBC documentary on Coventry Cathedral gets global premiere tonight​

Coventry Cathedral: Building for a New Britain is being shown on BBC4

By
Enda Mullen
  • 11:09, 9 JUN 2021
{Excerpt from article - my comments in curly brackets}

An amazing new BBC documentary about Coventry Cathedral gets its global premiere on national television tonight (June 9).

Coventry Cathedral: Building for a New Britain airs on BBC4 at 9pm and forms part of the BBC's contribution to celebrate Coventry being the UK City of Culture in 2021 and comes in the wake of a critically-acclaimed documentary on the city's car industry.

The hour-and-a-quarter-long documentary will tell the story of how the Church of England broke with traditional architectural style and commissioned modernist Basil Spence to rebuild the city’s new centre of worship. {Very informative and very interesting.}

Using a wide range of rarely-seen archive footage and stills, the film will focus on the years from 1940 - when a German bombing raid reduced Coventry’s medieval cathedral to ruins - to 1962 when the new cathedral was consecrated. {The archive film may have been digitally restored because the quality was excellent}

The film includes dramatic footage of an RAF Belvedere helicopter being used to lift the cathedral's 25-metre bronze spire into place. {The Belvedere looked great}

New BBC documentary on Coventry Cathedral gets global premiere

Coventry Cathedral – Welcome to Coventry Cathedral – an extraordinary place with a story you can’t ignore.

endure

GCM

Coventry Cathedral: Building for a New Britain​

9th June, BBC4,

"In November 1940, German bombers destroyed much of the city centre of Coventry and reduced the city’s medieval cathedral to rubble. Just 22 years later, in May 1962, a new cathedral designed by Basil Spence was consecrated on the site. Built in a bold modern style, incorporating the ruins of the old cathedral and adorned with a wealth of modern artworks, Coventry Cathedral is recognised today as one of Britain ‘s greatest postwar buildings.

Using a wealth of rarely seen archive film, together with voices from yesterday and today, the film tells the story of the new cathedral and of the times in which it was created."

BBC Four - Coventry Cathedral: Building for a New Britain You can watch again on BBC4 at 02:15 on Sunday morning or on iPlayer.

This was really excellent from BBC. The Coventry Telegraph liked it too:

Amazing new BBC documentary on Coventry Cathedral gets global premiere tonight​

Coventry Cathedral: Building for a New Britain is being shown on BBC4

By
Enda Mullen
  • 11:09, 9 JUN 2021
{Excerpt from article - my comments in curly brackets}

An amazing new BBC documentary about Coventry Cathedral gets its global premiere on national television tonight (June 9).

Coventry Cathedral: Building for a New Britain airs on BBC4 at 9pm and forms part of the BBC's contribution to celebrate Coventry being the UK City of Culture in 2021 and comes in the wake of a critically-acclaimed documentary on the city's car industry.

The hour-and-a-quarter-long documentary will tell the story of how the Church of England broke with traditional architectural style and commissioned modernist Basil Spence to rebuild the city’s new centre of worship. {Very informative and very interesting.}

Using a wide range of rarely-seen archive footage and stills, the film will focus on the years from 1940 - when a German bombing raid reduced Coventry’s medieval cathedral to ruins - to 1962 when the new cathedral was consecrated. {The archive film may have been digitally restored because the quality was excellent}

The film includes dramatic footage of an RAF Belvedere helicopter being used to lift the cathedral's 25-metre bronze spire into place. {The Belvedere looked great}

New BBC documentary on Coventry Cathedral gets global premiere

Coventry Cathedral – Welcome to Coventry Cathedral – an extraordinary place with a story you can’t ignore.
I worked for Husky Computers in Coventry for a while and came to the conclusions that the Luftwaffe were sorely negligent in their attempt to flatten the place.

8/10 for effort 2/10 for results....

Similar to "Storage Wars" and others, where the lockups were "seeded" with interesting items before the presenters were let loose.

There's nothing real about reality TV.

I've played a version of that game in the Met.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Just started watching Mindhunter on Netflix.
Set in the 70’s it’s based on a true story of how the FBI came to start the profiling of serial killers.
They have interviewed Ed Kemper, Edmund Kemper - Wikipedia who the actor is who played this mad bastard is I don’t know but he was brilliant, (I have seen a true documentary on Kemper)for some twisted reason I was pissing myself laughing when he described the killing of his mum, sick yet immensely intelligent, he only gave himself up because he was fed up of not getting caught.
The two FBI agents who work together, travelling all over the states giving lectures to the local police and helping out on crimes some of the wise cracks the older chap comes out with are funny. It starts each episode showing The BTK killer Dennis Rader - Wikipedia for a few moments and then that’s it, I wonder when they start delving into him? I’m on episode five or is it six?
If you’re looking for a good crime series then I recommend this.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Set in the 70’s it’s based on a true story of how the FBI came to start the profiling of serial killers.
They have interviewed Ed Kemper, Edmund Kemper - Wikipedia who the actor is who played this mad bastard is I don’t know but he was brilliant, (I have seen a true documentary on Kemper)for some twisted reason I was pissing myself laughing when he described the killing of his mum, sick yet immensely intelligent, he only gave himself up because he was fed up of not getting caught.
The two FBI agents who work together, travelling all over the states giving lectures to the local police and helping out on crimes some of the wise cracks the older chap comes out with are funny. It starts each episode showing The BTK killer Dennis Rader - Wikipedia for a few moments and then that’s it, I wonder when they start delving into him? I’m on episode five or is it six?
Season 2 is even better.

Edmund Kemper has a genius-rated IQ and it really comes across. A fascinating, awful man who liked to talk and was articulate and intelligent. A rare beast among the normal monosyllabic serials that are common.

The actor absolutely nailed him, I've seen footage of the real Ed Kemper and they are eerily alike.

Mindhunter has been cancelled after two seasons (it was initially slated for five) and although there are rumours about it being renewed, all the leads have had their contracts cancelled.

Stupid Netflix. Cancel intelligent programs in favour of more shite.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Just finished watching "Time" on BBC iPlayer.
No spoilers, but it was great. Didn't disappoint at all and fairy tale endings aren't on the cards.
Loved it.

That would be based on Robert Ressler's work? Pioneered psychological offender profiling in the 1970s.

One of the officers who interviewed Kemper in real life recounted getting stuck in a cell with him during shift change, and having to bluff Kemper that the prison authorities let FBI keep a defensive weapon long enough to prevent him "twisting his head off".

It's in Ressler's book "Whoever Fights Monsters", which is a cracking read on the topic of the descent into some bad places.

Similar to "Storage Wars" and others, where the lockups were "seeded" with interesting items before the presenters were let loose.

There's nothing real about reality TV.

Do you mean that those 'ghost hunter' programmes are not completely genuine?

Then there are the freak shows involving and for the mentally ill (just count the piercings and square footage of tattoos), such as 'Naked Attraction'.

Time - BBC iPlayer

Sean Bean gave a quite brilliant performance in 'Broken' a few years back. I did not like the ideology of the series but the acting was transcendentally good. People, including me, forget that Sean Bean trained at RADA.

Season 2 is even better.

Edmund Kemper has a genius-rated IQ and it really comes across. A fascinating, awful man who liked to talk and was articulate and intelligent. A rare beast among the normal monosyllabic serials that are common.

The actor absolutely nailed him, I've seen footage of the real Ed Kemper and they are eerily alike.

Mindhunter has been cancelled after two seasons (it was initially slated for five) and although there are rumours about it being renewed, all the leads have had their contracts cancelled.

Stupid Netflix. Cancel intelligent programs in favour of more shite.
It wasn’t Netflix that pulled the plug it was the director, he said he needed to work on other things, he also said he’d do a third season, which if true would be epic, the potential interaction with Ted Bundy. One of the best TV shows I’ve seen.