What TV show have you just watched

Flicking thro iPlayer on a night when not much on, came across The Violence Paradox:

It's something I mentioned before on another thread, from an article I read, that apparently violence within society is declining, though you wouldn't think it if your world view is shaped by what's on the news. However, the talking head academics have the stats to back this up.

I haven't watched the 2nd episode yet so this may turn 180, but from bones of pre-historic hunter gatherers dug up to analysing Old Bailey and other records, the evidence is that violence is on the decrease. Due it seems to the establishment of governments in ancient cultures and the growing and developing, cultural, civilizing and moral views within society.

Interestingly, studies of murderers showed the violence controlling part of the brain being 'underdeveloped', but this can be 'trained' to be active.

That is well worth watching.

Steven Pinker has been banging on about this for at least 10 years, since he published The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined. Good guy - duff haircut.

He argues there are six main reasons for the decline in violence:
  1. "The Pacification Process" – The rise of organized systems of government
  2. "The Civilizing Process" – Consolidation of centralized states and kingdoms
  3. "The Humanitarian Revolution" – The 18th to 20th century abandonment of institutionalized violence by the state (breaking on the wheel, burning at the stake).
  4. "The Long Peace" – the largely peaceful 65-year period post World War II.
  5. "The New Peace" – The decline in organized conflicts of all kinds since the end of the Cold War.
  6. "The Rights Revolutions" – The reduction of systemic violence at smaller scales against vulnerable populations (racial minorities, women, children, homosexuals, animals).
He keeps getting attacked on the basis that "that can't possibly be right, there is violence everywhere". There isn't. The need for rolling 24/7 news, sensationalism and "if it bleeds it leads" just makes it look as if there is more violence - the availability heuristic.

However, the data from all over the world indicates he is correct.

That is well worth watching.

Steven Pinker has been banging on about this for at least 10 years, since he published The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined. Good guy - duff haircut.

He argues there are six main reasons for the decline in violence:
  1. "The Pacification Process" – The rise of organized systems of government
  2. "The Civilizing Process" – Consolidation of centralized states and kingdoms
  3. "The Humanitarian Revolution" – The 18th to 20th century abandonment of institutionalized violence by the state (breaking on the wheel, burning at the stake).
  4. "The Long Peace" – the largely peaceful 65-year period post World War II.
  5. "The New Peace" – The decline in organized conflicts of all kinds since the end of the Cold War.
  6. "The Rights Revolutions" – The reduction of systemic violence at smaller scales against vulnerable populations (racial minorities, women, children, homosexuals, animals).
He keeps getting attacked on the basis that "that can't possibly be right, there is violence everywhere". There isn't. The need for rolling 24/7 news, sensationalism and "if it bleeds it leads" just makes it look as if there is more violence - the availability heuristic.

However, the data from all over the world indicates he is correct.

If I recall, his book was mentioned though it could be false memory.

Yes, it was interesting how all those factors you've listed have worked to reduce violence, and the acceptance of it to settle arguments, as well as how to behave in public.

In one segment, it stated that the middle ages were an uncouth era, no different from preceding ones, and it was acceptable to pee, sh*t as well as sh@g in view of others. But then rules of manners were brought in (Rotterdam, I think) such as 'thou shalt not scratch ones own bollocks with bare hands in front of ladies', and others.

Another interesting bit of info', babies are born to an extent with a sense of fairness which was demonstrated in one of the experiments, inferring I suppose that gipping and scamming others is learnt behaviour.

In one segment, it stated that the middle ages were an uncouth era, no different from preceding ones, and it was acceptable to pee, sh*t as well as sh@g in view of others.
Given the normal domestic arrangements, I don't think many peasants would not have routinely seen mum and dad going at each other's nethers throughout their lives.

I wonder when that started to be seen as abnormal and traumatising*?

*Apart, obviously, from that weekend in Millport that We Don't Talk About.

In one segment, it stated that the middle ages were an uncouth era, no different from preceding ones, and it was acceptable to pee, sh*t as well as sh@g in view of others. But then rules of manners were brought in (Rotterdam, I think) such as 'thou shalt not scratch ones own bollocks with bare hands in front of ladies', and others.

I was reading an article on the Palace Of Versailles.

It had no plumbing so the toffs just shat all over the place. On the floors of the royal chambers, in the halls and dining rooms, all over the gardens.

Dirty Frogs.

Anyone watched Fargo yet , seen previews, look like it’s gone down the bame route

Yes, I've watched the first episode. It does explain in the opening sequences, the evolving immigrant gangs in Kansas City. Slow burning, with the emphasis on character depth.

Strong cast with Ben Whishaw ( when he's not Q in the Bond films ) and Jessie Buckley, who has an outstanding singing voice besides being an accomplished actress representing the UK side of the Atlantic. Yes, I know, Jessie is Irish. She a good Scottish accent in "Wild Rose' So, to me, it augurs well.

Given the normal domestic arrangements, I don't think many peasants would not have routinely seen mum and dad going at each other's nethers throughout their lives.

I got the impression it wasn't just the peasants who got their nethers out in public.

I recall hearing (or reading) that for some consummation of marriages had to be witnessed, ooer, so in view shagging wasn't just for the lower orders. In fact, if I also recall correctly, even in castles and rich houses, privacy wasn't a given. What with large families, servants and, for some courtiers, and hangers on being tripped over.

And whilst knights were knights and kings were royalty, it was an age when they still had to be rufty tufty and get down to smashing the enemies', and each other's if needs be, brains out. Not sure that would lend itself to couthness and refined manners.

I was reading an article on the Palace Of Versailles.

It had no plumbing so the toffs just shat all over the place. On the floors of the royal chambers, in the halls and dining rooms, all over the gardens.

Dirty Frogs.

Urrghh. I read that too. Doesn't bear thinking about.

I think though there were one or two closets for the king and queen.

Maybe they also had a Frenchie type Groom of the Stool to wipe their botties for them:

TamH70

MIA
Urrghh. I read that too. Doesn't bear thinking about.

I think though there were one or two closets for the king and queen.

Maybe they also had a Frenchie type Groom of the Stool to wipe their botties for them:

Yep, pretty much. Most of our lick-spittle type jobs came from French origins, as our royal families were mostly French for centuries.

There's even an argument that our national anthem was originally in the French language and celebrated the recovery of one of the many King Louis' from an **** fistula...

HCL

LE
You could try, but you’ll never top the ending the writers came up with.

I’d love to discuss it on here but don’t want to spoil it for those who haven’t reached the end yet.

I'm struggling with the last series, I've found THE first 3 eps to be, well, like the director let the actors go improv and it's a bit OTT, wheres my Emmy. I'll stick with it though.

Apart, obviously, from that weekend in Millport that We Don't Talk About.

Was that the sequel to the rampage at the North Camp Pub in the Shot by any chance...

While Toby Jones is a exceptionally good actor, it takes a special actor to portray Phil shiner

CEA99FD3-A74C-4A41-B090-47117FA4A106.jpeg

Yep, pretty much. Most of our lick-spittle type jobs came from French origins, as our royal families were mostly French for centuries.

There's even an argument that our national anthem was originally in the French language and celebrated the recovery of one of the many King Louis' from an **** fistula...

And that’s something else to blame the French for.

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
I'm struggling with the last series, I've found THE first 3 eps to be, well, like the director let the actors go improv and it's a bit OTT, wheres my Emmy. I'll stick with it though.

Stick with it. There’s 14 episodes in the final series. As well as the Strike Team unravelling, other story lines continue to be played out with some outstanding writing, acting and plot twists.

The final scene is well worth waiting for. I’m still thinking about it over a week after watching it. Probably one of the best series on TV.

Up there with The Wire and The Sopranos (both of which I’ve got on DVD to watch again at some stage).

Just watched all three episodes of 'The Pursuit Of Love' on BBC1. Some stellar performances from all in the cast.

But what got me was the soundtracks. One in particular reminded me of just how good Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music were in their day. "I'm In With The In Crowd' brought some memories flooding back.

The guitar riff to that song is unforgettable.

Last edited:

HCL

LE
Stick with it. There’s 14 episodes in the final series. As well as the Strike Team unravelling, other story lines continue to be played out with some outstanding writing, acting and plot twists.

The final scene is well worth waiting for. I’m still thinking about it over a week after watching it. Probably one of the best series on TV.

Up there with The Wire and The Sopranos (both of which I’ve got on DVD to watch again at some stage).

Thank you.

I've just finished watching this, mentioned well up-thread to generally good reviews:

Very well produced with good acting although I thought the 'Commander Picton' character was over-done. Interesting to see that John Le Carre, the author of the book on which the series is based, is credited with being an executive producer.

Right up my street, recommended, 9.5 out of 10.

I've just finished watching this, mentioned well up-thread to generally good reviews:

Very well produced with good acting although I thought the 'Commander Picton' character was over-done. Interesting to see that John Le Carre, the author of the book on which the series is based, is credited with being an executive producer.

Right up my street, recommended, 9.5 out of 10.

Le Carre also had an acting role in the series as well, although he was usually hard to spot.

One of the reasons for Le Carre being so wealthy was not only that he was the original writer of some two dozen films and TV series he also got himself 7 co/assistant/executive producer roles and 5 acting roles.

Lets face it, when JLC said "I would like to produce/act in this film" they were hardly likely to tell him to eff off.

Le Carre also had an acting role in the series as well, although he was usually hard to spot.

One of the reasons for Le Carre being so wealthy was not only that he was the original writer of some two dozen films and TV series he also got himself 7 co/assistant/executive producer roles and 5 acting roles.

Lets face it, when JLC said "I would like to produce/act in this film" they were hardly likely to tell him to eff off.
Write the feem choon, sing the feem choon...

Latest Threads