What TV show have you just watched

Inside No. 9 was a disappointment this evening.

Always found the series entertaining it ranging from dark humour to bittersweet.

But this evenings episode, first in the new series was a damp squid of a mish mash of styles, which tried hard but didn’t work, apart from a few da boom tish type jokes.

Not sure whether they were being clever and it was intended and i’ll Give it the benefit of doubt and watch next week’s.

Always found the series entertaining it ranging from dark humour to bittersweet.

But this evenings episode, first in the new series was a damp squid of a mish mash of styles, which tried hard but didn’t work, apart from a few da boom tish type jokes.

Not sure whether they were being clever and it was intended and i’ll Give it the benefit of doubt and watch next week’s.
I've tried that series, I couldn't get into it. I didn't get the Royston Vasey one either, must be that particular gang.

I think disappointing is a massive understatement. It was abysmal, totally.

I am a massive fan of Inside No.9 and was eagerly awaiting the start of this new series.

Episode 2 has got to be better than that. If not it will be going into Room 101 sharpish.

Westworld Series 3.

Complete bollocks.

Out

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
If you have missed the recommendations then try The Shield on Amazon Prime. Cop series in LA made in the 90’s, plenty of action and shows gang life in LA and a team of bent cops who clean up the streets in their own unique kind of way.
Its got some very funny scenes as well if you have a warped sense of humour and as you are on arse i dare say you do.
Its very enjoyable I’ll be gutted when I’ve finished it.

I was one who recommended The Shield. I’ve just finished watching the final series. After the disappointment of the ending of Line of Duty, Jed Mercurio should watch The Shield for an object lesson on how to end a series.

Just brilliant. I don’t want to give away any spoilers, but those who have watched it to the end will know what I mean.

Last edited:
Just finished watching "The Cruel Sea", I think the last time I saw it was around 1500hrs on a Sunday afternoon back in the mid 70s. Old, corny in places, but still a fair representation of corvettes on convoy duty. Particularly notable the scene were "Compass Rose" moving full ahead, plows through a group of torpedoed swimmers, and fires a pattern of depth charges, with the outcome being in no doubt.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I was one who recommended The Shield. I’ve just finished watching the final series. After the disappointment of the ending of Line of Duty, Jed Mercurio should watch The Shield for an object lesson on how to end a series.

Just brilliant. I don’t want to give away any spoilers, but those who have watched it to the end will know what I mean.
I’ve just watched the episode where the Capt has a word with the chap who, well you know what happened to the Captain.
I‘ll say no more don’t want to spoil it.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer

+1

Game of Thrones showrunners should've seen The Shield's example on how to perfectly land a popular series. After seven series and umpteen tight scrapes, the end didn't disappoint at all. Shane's ending was......wow.

Just finished watching "The Cruel Sea", I think the last time I saw it was around 1500hrs on a Sunday afternoon back in the mid 70s. Old, corny in places, but still a fair representation of corvettes on convoy duty. Particularly notable the scene were "Compass Rose" moving full ahead, plows through a group of torpedoed swimmers, and fires a pattern of depth charges, with the outcome being in no doubt.
"Bloody murderer!"

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
With regards to Line of Duty, it's only a disappointing end if it is, in fact, the end.

Whilst Jed and the BBC are tight-lipped about the possibility of another series, it would make a lot of sense. Buckells is not a criminal mastermind. By his own admission, he was a facilitator for the OCG, not the kingpin.

I think there will be another series and I think I know who the ultimate boss is:

If you haven't seen LoD, beware, spoilers below:

Jo Davidson.

Here's why:

1. Look at the house she was last seen in - does that house look like something a lowly copper could afford? That's not your standard witness protection gaff.

2. She tried to fit up her live in lover (her name escapes me at the moment) with the burner phone cache.

3. She tried to fit up Buckells with the files and the dodgy warrants. As Hastings said: "Jo Davidson tried to frame Buckells, coincidentally the actual corrupt copper." What if it wasn't "coincidental?"

4. She was Tommy Hunter's daughter (Hunter - H)

5. She is a master manipulator, moving the pieces around a board that Buckell couldn't even unpack.

Now, some things don't jibe with that theory - the fact that she seemed scared of Ryan Pilkington, who surely would be an underling for instance. His death doesn't add up either, there's something more there. Why would Kate "be in the frame" for killing him? Surely it's justifiable homicide, he was holding a gun on her, after all.
Why didn't we see his death? It seems like a deliberate obfuscation to me. Jed Mercurio is a smart guy and I'm pretty sure there's more to it than we've seen. Holding back some stuff for another series?

If I am wrong (wouldn't be the first time) then Buckell's exposition makes sense in a general way. Evil is banal and no one is more banal than Buckells. If it is the end, I think it was overhyped by the BBC and as such, destined to disappoint.

+1

Game of Thrones showrunners should've seen The Shield's example on how to perfectly land a popular series. After seven series and umpteen tight scrapes, the end didn't disappoint at all. Shane's ending was......wow.
Might just skip to the last episode in the final series then and fill in the blanks myself :wink: :wink:

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
Might just skip to the last episode in the final series then and fill in the blanks myself :wink: :wink:

You could try, but you’ll never top the ending the writers came up with.

I’d love to discuss it on here but don’t want to spoil it for those who haven’t reached the end yet.

I've tried that series, I couldn't get into it. I didn't get the Royston Vasey one either, must be that particular gang.

I know what you mean about Royston Vasey series, I didn't get into that as well.

However, Inside No. 9 seems to work for both me and t'otha 'alf.

Roytson Vasey was all 'one note' whereas No. 9's themes and moods vary. It does have Vaseyesque characters at times, but still works for us.

I enjoyed The Shield but lost touch with the series when it suffered the old schedule shuffling our TV companies are prone to.

To my delight I just discovered all series/episodes are available on All4.

ETA: And to my dismay it looks as if they are available on All4 but they are not. Bastards.

Last edited:
I was bored so watched the 3 BBC episodes of Trump Takes on the World. Fascinating stuff. The man was a fcuking fruitloop.

Was?

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I enjoyed The Shield but lost touch with the series when it suffered the old schedule shuffling our TV companies are prone to.

To my delight I just discovered all series/episodes are available on All4.
Also on Amazon Prime at a slightly higher resolution and no ads.

Flicking thro iPlayer on a night when not much on, came across The Violence Paradox:

It's something I mentioned before on another thread, from an article I read, that apparently violence within society is declining, though you wouldn't think it if your world view is shaped by what's on the news. However, the talking head academics have the stats to back this up.

I haven't watched the 2nd episode yet so this may turn 180, but from bones of pre-historic hunter gatherers dug up to analysing Old Bailey and other records, the evidence is that violence is on the decrease. Due it seems to the establishment of governments in ancient cultures and the growing and developing, cultural, civilizing and moral views within society.

Interestingly, studies of murderers showed the violence controlling part of the brain being 'underdeveloped', but this can be 'trained' to be active.

Latest Threads