What TV show have you just watched

Watched first episode of Devils on Sky last night. Looks good so far.
Gets really good. We had to crank up the volume sometimes and occasionally rewind if something was missed due to the accents. But in no way did it deteriorate the enjoyment of watching it.

Did you try and close the fridge with a roundhouse?
Spinning jump hook kick.

See this image below.. I look nothing like that when doing it.

"Why is Covid killing people of colour" - BBC1 2/3/21.

David Harewood spent an hour explaining how white people have been using Covid to kill black people. It's systemic racism in schools and the NHS apparently, the former obliging elements of the community to live in polluted areas near roads. Unless I fell asleep at some point, disproportionate Black deaths (not intended as a pun) are nothing to do with culture and natural underlying medical issues.

He tilted between BAME and Black to get the most appropriate statistics to suit his agenda. I'm not sure if it was an attempt at humour but at one point he stated that most of the front line medical staff (nurses, porters and doctors) are BAME who are forced into the riskiest jobs by white staff who also insist that BAME staff use unsuitable PPE. Later he states that Black people are more likely to die in hospital because the (white, not stated) staff don't pay attention to the Black patients, completely forgetting that he has just told us that the staff in question are mostly BAME.

He kept going on about the underlying heath conditions that Black people have (as a result of white actions and omissions), often quoting his own ailments such as high blood pressure and kidney function as well as a history of mental illness. Looking up his Wiki page, I see that he was sectioned because he was "self-medicating" with alcohol. That rather suggests to me that his underlying ailments are as likely self-inflicted as genetic or forced on him by white supremacists.

Apparently most BAME people live in deprived areas because schools don't encourage them to make the most of education so they're stuck with low-paid jobs (doesn't he know the wages paid to Underground staff and bus drivers?). The inference is that white people tend to live in affluent areas with no pollution and the ability to jog round the local park and are thus less likely to develop Type 2 Diabetes and hence are more Covid-resistant.

He was visibly upset when a government spokeswoman (herself of Asian appearance) disagreed with the suggestion that Black susceptibility to Covid was due to systemic racism.

Overall, the programme came over as an advertisement for Operation Black Vote than as a documentary. I thought the BBC was mandated to be apolitical.

Age of the Samurai: Battle For Japan

I have always been interested in the Samurai and that era so I had high hopes for this documentary series but it is a US venture structured for those who do not think it odd that stylised crap like Storage Wars belong on the History Channel.

The most irritating aspects are the narrators and their commentary. One British and several American historians, with a Japanese woman commenting very briefly on the wives and mistresses of those depicted.

The narration consists of constant sound bytes strung together that only serve to contradict the entire statement. "This was incredibly ill considered and reckless, one reason why the clan did not trust him.... but he did his homework and left nothing to chance."

Apparently battles that were unheard of outside particular regions of Japan were global game changers.

Cast :A dozen extras and four actors in main roles who have no speaking parts and only two facial expressions 1/ Cruel 2/ Thoughtful

Wardobe and Makeup: Plastic samurai armour and a tanker full of Kensington Gore

If you like seeing depictions of women and children being beheaded every five minutes then it is for you, but I am bailing before I have to listen to the usual overblown septic commentary "Little did he know <PREGNANT PAUSE> this battle would change the world <ANOTHER PREGNANT PAUSE> Forever"

"Why is Covid killing people of colour" - BBC1 2/3/21.

David Harewood spent an hour explaining how white people have been using Covid to kill black people. It's systemic racism in schools and the NHS apparently, the former obliging elements of the community to live in polluted areas near roads. Unless I fell asleep at some point, disproportionate Black deaths (not intended as a pun) are nothing to do with culture and natural underlying medical issues.

He tilted between BAME and Black to get the most appropriate statistics to suit his agenda. I'm not sure if it was an attempt at humour but at one point he stated that most of the front line medical staff (nurses, porters and doctors) are BAME who are forced into the riskiest jobs by white staff who also insist that BAME staff use unsuitable PPE. Later he states that Black people are more likely to die in hospital because the (white, not stated) staff don't pay attention to the Black patients, completely forgetting that he has just told us that the staff in question are mostly BAME.

He kept going on about the underlying heath conditions that Black people have (as a result of white actions and omissions), often quoting his own ailments such as high blood pressure and kidney function as well as a history of mental illness. Looking up his Wiki page, I see that he was sectioned because he was "self-medicating" with alcohol. That rather suggests to me that his underlying ailments are as likely self-inflicted as genetic or forced on him by white supremacists.

Apparently most BAME people live in deprived areas because schools don't encourage them to make the most of education so they're stuck with low-paid jobs (doesn't he know the wages paid to Underground staff and bus drivers?). The inference is that white people tend to live in affluent areas with no pollution and the ability to jog round the local park and are thus less likely to develop Type 2 Diabetes and hence are more Covid-resistant.

He was visibly upset when a government spokeswoman (herself of Asian appearance) disagreed with the suggestion that Black susceptibility to Covid was due to systemic racism.

Overall, the programme came over as an advertisement for Operation Black Vote than as a documentary. I thought the BBC was mandated to be apolitical.
The BBC are allowed to broadcast divisive stuff like this, yet still claim impartiality.

ches

LE
Zero Zero Zero. A sky original. Its well acted, great locations & the productions values are high. The characters are a bunch of shitebags & I wouldn't have given a fook if all of them had bit the bullet. Nothing in any of them worthy of saving. A bunch of drug dealers, murderers & thieves, so am struggling to understand the 'purpose' of the show as it certainly doesn't show any sort of moral standpoint that your average viewer would agree with. Its not like its a 'simple' show to watch either, with staggered timelines intertwined with the only indication of a time change being a small sample of music, so its not a show a knuckle dragger who may admire these types would or could watch. The plot is relatively complex too but is good & weaves together a continent spanning story that works very well. Its just a shame that nothing in the characters creates any empathy or sympathy in the viewer.

Last edited:
The Great British Dig on More 4.

I've never really been one for 'local history' but was channel hopping and came across this, an archaeological dig on the buried site of Lenton Priory in Nottingham, now covered in modern housing and student accommodation.. I'd heard of Lenton Priory but it was only a name. It appears that the Priory was torn down during the dissolution of the monasteries. An interesting programme and I'm inspired to find out a bit more.

One One One. A sky original. Its well acted, great locations & the productions values are high. The characters are a bunch of shitebags & I wouldn't have given a fook if all of them had bit the bullet. Nothing in any of them worthy of saving. A bunch of drug dealers, murderers & thieves, so am struggling to understand the 'purpose' of the show as it certainly doesn't show any sort of moral standpoint that your average viewer would agree with. Its not like its a 'simple' show to watch either, with staggered timelines intertwined with the only indication of a time change being a small sample of music, so its not a show a knuckle dragger who may admire these types would or could watch. The plot is relatively complex too but is good & weaves together a continent spanning story that works very well. Its just a shame that nothing in the characters creates any empathy or sympathy in the viewer.
Is this by any chance the follow on to ZeroZeroZero? I quite enjoyed that.

Zero Zero Zero. A sky original. Its well acted, great locations & the productions values are high. The characters are a bunch of shitebags & I wouldn't have given a fook if all of them had bit the bullet. Nothing in any of them worthy of saving. A bunch of drug dealers, murderers & thieves, so am struggling to understand the 'purpose' of the show as it certainly doesn't show any sort of moral standpoint that your average viewer would agree with. Its not like its a 'simple' show to watch either, with staggered timelines intertwined with the only indication of a time change being a small sample of music, so its not a show a knuckle dragger who may admire these types would or could watch. The plot is relatively complex too but is good & weaves together a continent spanning story that works very well. Its just a shame that nothing in the characters creates any empathy or sympathy in the viewer.
That's the point really - fundamentally they're all 'bad 'uns' on account of the human suffering they perpetuate but there's different reasons for doing it and it's up to you to consider.

The timelines were pretty simple - first bit of each episode showed the 'outcome', the flash back then showed you how you got there - each episode was self contained in that way thankfully - would have been very confusing if they'd started jumping around the whole plot in different episodes.

There was a lot of moral justification within the contexts and the religious aspect/twisting was interesting.

I thought it was a nice development on from 'Gomorrah' and hopefully their future work will be of the same high quality.

ETA - the military side of things was very realistic. Excellent weapon handling and drills and the way the teams worked.

Gordon Ramseys Bank Balance with two apparent RAF pilot types,

Icarus is a book of the old Testament apparently.

Too close to the sun? The irony.

EDIT Might be civies.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ben Fogle Inside Chernobyl.

He didn't have much to tell us that isn't common knowledge, but he got into some interesting places:

Control Room Number 4, seat of the cause of the explosion. "You can have five minutes because of the radiation."

Control Room Number 3 , identical but less radioactive and in better nick.

And he finished inside the new sarcophagus. "You can have (I think) one minute," where robot cranes are going to dissemble the original sarcophagus that was on the point of failing, and plan to remove and safely dispose of the reactor core.

It was long at 1½ hours with adverts, still long skipping adverts, but still well worth the watch. And very moving in a lot of places.

Last edited:
Been meaning to watch that myself. I've watched the History Buffs review of it on Youtube though.

That’s a very good overview of the series. I’ve binge watched the first few episodes, it’s very good. Excellent historical depictions of uniform, equipment and general detail, so much so that looking at one of the actual photos of the corpse of John Torrington who died early in the expedition showed very faithful attention to historical detail, down to the clothing he was clad in when his corpse was exhumed. There is some artistic licence but the overall programme is excellent and quite gripping.

He didn't have much to tell us that isn't common knowledge, but he got into some interesting places:

Control Room Number 4, seat of the cause of the explosion. "You can have five minutes because of the radiation."

And he finished inside the new sarcophagus. "You can have (I think) one minute," where robot cranes are going to dissemble the original sarcophagus that was on the point of failing, and plan to remove and safely dispose of the reactor core.

It was long at 1½ hours with adverts, still long skipping adverts, but still well worth the watch. And very moving in a lot of places.
If anyone hasn't seen the BBC Dramatisation of Chernobyl, I thoroughly recommend it too.

Always good value Mr Fogle imho. I enjoyed the bit where the old Russian girl offered him home made Vodka out of a plastic bottle with some dodgy label on. Sensibly, he just had the one shot, but it looked (and probably tasted like) paint stripper.

pete49

Old-Salt
That’s a very good overview of the series. I’ve binge watched the first few episodes, it’s very good. Excellent historical depictions of uniform, equipment and general detail, so much so that looking at one of the actual photos of the corpse of John Torrington who died early in the expedition showed very faithful attention to historical detail, down to the clothing he was clad in when his corpse was exhumed. There is some artistic licence but the overall programme is excellent and quite gripping.
Watched the first episode last night , thought it was excellent, like said above acting and costumes great , saving the second episode for Sunday when there’s nowt on

Latest Threads