What TV show have you just watched

Finished the first Series of 'Zero Zero Zero' - drugs/crime thing set in New Orleans, Mexico, North Africa, Italy and probably somewhere else.

Was a massive fan of the Italian series 'Gomorrah' and this is done by the same people with a much bigger budget and it shows - very good.

Watched the first episode of 'Life on Mars' a few days back - brilliant! looking forward to the rest of it.

One of the series that passed us by as we were abroad at the time but recently got Netflix so starting to catch upon stuff.

One thing we've noticed, the older stuff is much better written than todays bilge. It seems like the most important thing is to cram in as many woke elements as possible then try and fit a story around what's left.
Hope you enjoy it to the end, and you'll have part of the puzzle. If your up for it then, try Ashes to Ashes, follows on directly, though now in 1981, minus Sam Tyler (all explained), and you get the punchline in the very last episode as to what and why everything has happened.. Myself and Mrs Babbit thoroughly enjoyed it..

NSP

LE
Does theBrexit fire starter get a mensh?
Not that I recall. It's set in 2074 and the big societal implosion is referenced as happening in 2029.

So we won't have to worry about affording and charging an electric car after all.

Watched the first episode of 'Life on Mars' a few days back - brilliant! looking forward to the rest of it.

One of the series that passed us by as we were abroad at the time but recently got Netflix so starting to catch upon stuff.

One thing we've noticed, the older stuff is much better written than todays bilge. It seems like the most important thing is to cram in as many woke elements as possible then try and fit a story around what's left.

We’re watching that now & half way through series 2. I haven’t seen it since it was first broadcast, so it’s like new to me.
We won’t be pushing on to Ashes to Ashes. It’s a bit too weird. Not that a bloke travelling back to 1973 isn’t!

TamH70

MIA
Watched a bit of the Jamie Theakston-narrated series, "Traffic Cops", and I am confused by something therein - is Mick Roffe, of the North Yorkshire Police Roads Policing Team fame, a Constable or a Sergeant, or indeed of higher ranks now?

I am only asking as he seems to gain and lose his Sergeant insignia on his epaulettes on a regular basis depending on which episode is being shown.

Watched a bit of the Jamie Theakston-narrated series, "Traffic Cops", and I am confused by something therein - is Mick Roffe, of the North Yorkshire Police Roads Policing Team fame, a Constable or a Sergeant, or indeed of higher ranks now?

I am only asking as he seems to gain and lose his Sergeant insignia on his epaulettes on a regular basis depending on which episode is being shown.
It’s all a bit metaphysical you see. He’s actually a Sergeant-at-Arms in the Ankh Morpork City Watch but went through time and space after a timely wimey incident at the High Energy Building of the Unseen University.

His insignia is equally affected and morphs regularly.

To be honest.... haven’t the foggiest idea mate.

I would, if I were you. When you get to the end you finally understand what the hell is going on within the premise of the plot scenario.

We tried about 5 years ago. We got three eps in and found we were both more interested in our phones. Never a good sign. We looked at each other, nodded & just binned it off.

I may give it another go.

TamH70

MIA
We tried about 5 years ago. We got three eps in and found we were both more interested in our phones. Never a good sign. We looked at each other, nodded & just binned it off.

I may give it another go.

I binned Life on Mars almost as soon as I watched the first episode or bits of it at least. If I wanted to watch a not-as-good version of "The Sweeney", I could watch the butchered version of that show on ITV4.

I binned Life on Mars almost as soon as I watched the first episode or bits of it at least. If I wanted to watch a not-as-good version of "The Sweeney", I could watch the butchered version of that show on ITV4.

The Sweeney is my all time favourite telly box show.
I know what you mean. I think the trick is to forget the Sweeney ever happened & that Gene Hunt is a Regan caricature.
Watch it as a stand alone show. It really is rather good.

ches

LE
The Great on Channel 4.

If you want an accurate, or even just accurate with a little dramatic licence to make the narrative work, portrayal of Catherine the Great, then this is not for you.

But if historical romps are your thing, then maybe it’s worth a go if you’ve not seen it yet.

T’otha ‘alf and I quite enjoy it, makes us laugh anyway Huzzah.

We've been watching this since it kicked off. Its mega & utterly barking.

Thank you to whoever posted the link to the most amazing program I have watched on TV in decades.

Can't Get You Out Of My Head

This program has been probably the most interesting, fascinating, educational programme I can ever remember watching. Full of World conspiracy theories, transfer of power, from USA, China, Russia, wars, atomic bombs, the space war you name it, it is in this 6 part film. Full of black and white, colour archive footage, stills and previously unseen video footage backed up with huge sound tracks, and I think superbly narrated by Michael Palin. Gobsmackingly interesting.

T'was me I think. Its narrated by Curtis himself.

I was starting to question a few things mid way through Ep 5 & certainly Ep 6 missed a bit at its mid point.

In Ep 5 Curtis was using post WW1 Iraq & its formation as an illustration of his points about the perpetuation of the British Empire. He was bang on wrong about the facts surrounding the founding of the country & the role that Gertrude Bell played - his insinuation that she was an upper class toff who was dropped in to the country to fcuk the place up was way off the mark. Without Bell & her influence over the first decade of the nation things would have been far worse than they subsequently became. Those subsequent failures can't be laid at her feet. The placing of the Saudi king on the throne was a placebo to the arab world in response to those idiots in Paris forcing their hand yet again in Damascus in 1918.

In Ep 6 Curtis missed the documented evidence about the influence of the Russian based cyber farms in the 2016 US election to the point that he was avoiding anything that didn't fit his final narrative.

Those aside it was still a superb series.

We've been watching this since it kicked off. Its mega & utterly barking.

T'was me I think. Its narrated by Curtis himself.

I was starting to question a few things mid way through Ep 5 & certainly Ep 6 missed a bit at its mid point.

In Ep 5 Curtis was using post WW1 Iraq & its formation as an illustration of his points about the perpetuation of the British Empire. He was bang on wrong about the facts surrounding the founding of the country & the role that Gertrude Bell played - his insinuation that she was an upper class toff who was dropped in to the country to fcuk the place up was way off the mark. Without Bell & her influence over the first decade of the nation things would have been far worse than they subsequently became. Those subsequent failures can't be laid at her feet. The placing of the Saudi king on the throne was a placebo to the arab world in response to those idiots in Paris forcing their hand yet again in Damascus in 1918.

In Ep 6 Curtis missed the documented evidence about the influence of the Russian based cyber farms in the 2016 US election to the point that he was avoiding anything that didn't fit his final narrative.

Those aside it was still a superb series.
Outstanding Sir. Although now that I know it is not my favourite presenter Michael Palin doing the narrative I'm a tad disappointed. But it won't stop me watching the rest of it.

Thanks again for linking the programme.

Something I found on line about the 1946 RAF mutiny in British India and the Far East stations. Produced by your channel 4 but I don't know how long ago. It was a subject that I knew nothing about beforehand. In a nutshell, the RAF OR who had gone into the service for the war were quite unhappy at the speed of their demobilization once the war was over, especially compared with the other services (Army, Navy) so they performed a sit down strike. This engendered a sympathy sit down strike in the Indian Navy and Air Force as well. Whether that was the cause that led to the end game of Indian Independence is not clear in the documentary, bat it certainly added to the chaos of those last months of the British RAJ.

This sit down strike was so serious that it actually caused one commanding officer to threaten his troops with decimation Roman style. (Or so said one of the mutineers interviewed for the documentary) Wow! Who knew that the Brylcreem Boys could be so ruthless? :?

Thank you to whoever posted the link to the most amazing program I have watched on TV in decades.

Can't Get You Out Of My Head

This program has been probably the most interesting, fascinating, educational programme I can ever remember watching. Full of World conspiracy theories, transfer of power, from USA, China, Russia, wars, atomic bombs, the space war you name it, it is in this 6 part film. Full of black and white, colour archive footage, stills and previously unseen video footage backed up with huge sound tracks, and I think superbly narrated by Michael Palin. Gobsmackingly interesting.
I've just watched the first one and I can't deny that I'm intrigued to see where it goes - however, my instinctive position is to assume that I'll invest hours of my time just to be the target of the modern BBC's agenda, i.e. It's all actually my fault somehow... A 5 Star review in the Graun doesn't fill me with hope tbh.

Anyway, I've asked the missus to watch it and see how she gets on - she'll have a different take without my concerns - and see if it's something we can get through together.

I've just watched the first one and I can't deny that I'm intrigued to see where it goes - however, my instinctive position is to assume that I'll invest hours of my time just to be the target of the modern BBC's agenda, i.e. It's all actually my fault somehow... A 5 Star review in the Graun doesn't fill me with hope tbh.

Anyway, I've asked the missus to watch it and see how she gets on - she'll have a different take without my concerns - and see if it's something we can get through together.
Its a bit like 'Road Crash' TV, you get drawn into it, and you feel you need to watch it, just to know what the fcuk is going on and where is it leading to. Fascinating.

TamH70

MIA
Watched a couple of Rich Hall documentaries when I was doing my laundry. "You Can Go To Hell, I'm Going To Texas", and "California Stars".

Both of them very interesting, with one of the common themes being that both states were founded chiefly on myth, and both states seem to be still wedded to them like they were joined at the hip by a gurt BFO TIG welder.

ches

LE
Tried the new BBC 1 cop drama from NI. Bloodlands. A good cast but let down badly by some awful acting by the good cast......dunno whether its was the cutting room or a lack of budget for takes but this is a bit of a shambles. Some great Irish actors who are usually engaging to watch but this is bad in parts. James Nesbitt plays a PSNI DC investigating kidnappings/disappearances that have origins back in the last days of the Troubles circa 98 & the GFA. A neat storyline that could have come good.

TamH70

MIA
Tried the new BBC 1 cop drama from NI. Bloodlands. A good cast but let down badly by some awful acting by the good cast......dunno whether its was the cutting room or a lack of budget for takes but this is a bit of a shambles. Some great Irish actors who are usually engaging to watch but this is bad in parts. James Nesbitt plays a PSNI DC investigating kidnappings/disappearances that have origins back in the last days of the Troubles circa 98 & the GFA. A neat storyline that could have come good.
Soz, but that's a no from me. I dislike him immensely.

Still, could be worse. Could be Bendydick Bandersnatch pulling off another crap accent.

Currently watching Devils on Sky Atlantic

Not a bad storyline, some decent acting, a few shaggable decent women to look at.

It has a lot of potential.

I have finished the six episode which comprise this:

As far as a recommendation, all I can say is - don't watch this. It is a shocker. If you are the sort of person who watches a military portrayal on TV and makes comments like: "not enough polish on that Sam Browne" or "put your fcuking hat on" (and who isn't?) this will drive you up the wall. It was filmed around Cape Town as a (very rough) equivalent to Aden and portrays an RMP company carrying out all sorts of duties except what you would expect an RMP company to be doing. The court martial at the end is bizarre. To be fair, the civilian clothes and MQ furniture are well done.

So don't. Please.

Latest Threads