Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What TV show have you just watched

I have just seen the Beeb thing about disability being a hate crime. Saw the last programme too about disability.
I am holding my hand up to using the work spakker, and am probably not stopping soon. I also casually use other words some might think offensive.
I know it’s BBC (grrr) but it was interesting.
Them cnuts that kicked that persons guide dog will have a special circle of hell reserved for them.
What did I learn? It’s not that the planet contains people with disabilities, it just holds way too many cnuts.

Half a pound of nuts & bolts,
half a pound of plastic.
Shake them in a paper bag,
out pops a spastic.

Not sure what it means, as we're all metric now.

I logged into this thread to share that tomorrow is ABC Minors on Talking Pictures 9 'til 12.

3d admission, or 6d in the lower circle. Kia Ora please.

They trail it as having been 50s & 60s, but it was the same cinema where Monty spoke to my Dad (and perhaps other kids) in the early 40s at a saturday morning show. Probably just after VE Day as Dad would have aged out.

eta - actually starts 6th feb. Not so informative after all, eh?

Last edited:
I have just seen the Beeb thing about disability being a hate crime. Saw the last programme too about disability.
I am holding my hand up to using the word spakker, and am probably not stopping soon. I also casually use other words some might think offensive.

RGJbloke is going to demand that you look at online pictures of mentally handicapped children.

I watched the first five episodes of Back last night. Season 2 of the Mitchell & Webb comedy series.

It was the Sunday Times Pick Of The Week on, errhhh, ummmm, Sunday.

Sample joke:

Poseur: "Then after walking the Silk Road from China I did the Paris-Dakar rally"
Old Git: "I just don't understand why they end it there. It's just such a miserable, horrible and depressing place".
Barman: "That's Dachau Bill"

I liked it, although I cannot shake the impression that it is the Peep Show characters grown up.

ches

LE
With that in mind, Ive just started watching Magnum P.I. :oops: Ill let you know how that goes!

Magnum S1 is ok, some decent wee homages to the original. The new one is helped by the very tidy wee lass Perdita Weeks sister of the Foyles War sidekick, Honeysuckle.
However the new S3 that started a few weeks ago isn't promising much, ep1 was utter gash & I feel the rest of it may go the same way. It always was bubblegum TV but it may be going an air bubble pop too far now.

Bridget & Eamon on UK Gold. It’s on their player thingy.
A couple with 6-8 kids (their words) living in the Irish Midlands in the 1980s. Very funny. Especially if you get the Irish subtleties.
Series 1 Ep 5 is particularly good. It’s the one where Eamon loses his job & ‘accidentally’ joins the IRA. Nice piss takes of Adams & McGuinness too.

Last edited:
I've just finished watching the six episodes of The Last Czars:

It was filmed in Vilnius and was a UK/Lithuanian enterprise. The scenery and filming is excellent, but beware - this docudrama features 'scholarly interruptions' which take a bit of getting used to. The filming includes footage from the era as well as pictures of those involved. Worth a watch.

slick

LE
I happened across a series on iplayer called Chronicle. It ran from 1966 until 1991 and was concerned with aspects of archaeology and history.
There is a list of episodes on iplayer but only 3 are currently available to watch. I found them fascinating.
It does show how presentation styles have changed over the years..... BBC - Chronicle - Episode guide

Saw a lot of recommendations on here about Archer, currently laughing my bollocks off with the first season.

Still working my way through the entire series, how the **** they manage to get this on TV is beyond me.

Sexist, racist, homophobic etc.

Its ******* brilliant.

I happened across a series on iplayer called Chronicle. It ran from 1966 until 1991 and was concerned with aspects of archaeology and history.
There is a list of episodes on iplayer but only 3 are currently available to watch. I found them fascinating.
It does show how presentation styles have changed over the years..... BBC - Chronicle - Episode guide
More about the subject, less about the presenter I would imagine.
Cheers for the heads-up. I’ll have a look.

Combat Dealers - Bruce is back !
New series Sunday nights on Discovery..
Same faces, same format, usual big bang at the end :)
Bruce has lost a bit of weight since his accident, also lost a bit of his bounce.

BBC2 - 'Lance Armstrong'. I do follow professional cycling so this programme caught my attention last night.

To begin, in the dim and distant past, the BBC had a tv series of interviews with the cognoscenti of the '50's & 60's. Titled 'Face to Face' it featured John Freeman, interviewing the great and the good, a generation before the Parkinsons et al turned the art into a game show. I mention that, as Armstrong was subjected to an off-camera, female voice asking him some very direct and unambiguous questions.

From a cocky, very arrogant 15yr. old talent to a mature very arrogant, sweary, professional athlete he describes, his rise to the top and the inevitable taking of EPO as he saw the sport at the time.
His recovery from cancer phase is a masterclass in will power and self-belief to get back to cycling. I found him a difficult person to like when he was in the sport. This programme has adjusted my view. He didn't back off the "drug-taking" years nor attempted to duck the "moral & ethical" considerations of his actions as the body of sport's journalists and international figures gathered to pillory him.

Worth a view.

syrup

LE
Combat Dealers - Bruce is back !
New series Sunday nights on Discovery..
Same faces, same format, usual big bang at the end :)
Bruce has lost a bit of weight since his accident, also lost a bit of his bounce.

What accident did I miss something?

He also seems to have a podcast on Amazon Prime Music

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Smashed the new Hawaii 5-0 box set last year - thought it wasn't bad. I can see why the canned it at Series 10, it was getting a bit repetitive and far fetched (sorting out terrorists in AFG?). As it would when you're basing a series about crime on an Island.

With that in mind, Ive just started watching Magnum P.I. :oops: Ill let you know how that goes!
Worth watching just for this little lovely!
1611576010353.png

What accident did I miss something?

He also seems to have a podcast on Amazon Prime Music'From Lanes Group PLC web site:
Fom the Lanes Group PLC web site:
'Bruce Crompton, aged 63, experienced his own battle for life (May 2019) as a result of a serious parachute
accident while preparing for another major WW2 anniversary – 75 years since D-Day, the Normandy Landings.
A former member of the British Parachute Regiment, he took part in a training jump in Holland and landed
into a tree – then fell 42 feet to the ground, causing multiple injuries that nearly cost him his life.
After weeks in intensive care and major operations, Bruce is still on the road to recovery, but is back
working for Lanes – from home during the lockdown – and is proud of the company’s contribution during the
Coronavirus crisis.'

Bruce is the Lanes Board Director responsible for the company’s Rail Division.

I watched the five episodes of It's A Sin over the weekend. The story of half a dozen gay blokes and a non-gay female over the 1980s tracing the spread and development of AIDS and how it impacted the gay community.

(There is a separate thread on this but it's not very helpful).

Very funny in parts. Very sad and poignant in others, with the death toll gradually increasing and men dying miserable lonely deaths (echoes of COVID).

There is a fair amount of rumpy pumpy in it so if you are one for writing letters about moral decay in green ink to the Daily Telegraph it might not be for you.

It's by Russell T Davies and is the third in his gay life series after Queer As Folk and Cucumber. Again, maybe not for everyone. (I typed "not" as "bot" just then - it works either way).

Very well reviewed in the Times and ST.

I liked it (apart from wondering where on earth you could get a massive flat in the West End for £46,000 in the late 80s).

syrup

LE
I liked it (apart from wondering where on earth you could get a massive flat in the West End for £46,000 in the late 80s).

Probably depends on the area a lot of the places considered trendy and upmarket now were considered dumps in eth 80's and 90's
£46k was the equivalent of about £215k now so might get a decent flat in an area not considered so trendy.

My mum bought her ex council house in York - 3 bedrooms, big back garden, 2 car drive in 86 for £8k

A couple of series I enjoyed very much are back for new seasons.

Abandoned Engineering and The Architecture The Railways Built have both started new seasons on Yesterday TV.

Probably of little interest to anyone not interested in engineering or architecture but excellent TV for filling in the gaps between films etc.

Latest Threads