Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What TV show have you just watched

I thought Claire Foy was astonishing as a young Monarch - agreed that Coleman had a very tough act to follow. Think both DofE's have been a bit 'caricature' but there you go

HCL

LE
Superstore on Netflix.

If you liked The Office you'll love it.

Based in a mega store in St Louis, great cast, don't know any of them, but thry really gel.
First episode is just OK, but stick with it as it gets better and better as you get to know the characters. On episode 5 and loving it.

Being 'old school' I'm attracted to a series with a beginning, a middle and an end, none of this arrsing around 15 series!

Tim Minchin's 'Upright' fulfilled that for me.
I mentioned that in passing some time ago (well late 1988 while I was then in Melbourne ) It's since come out in DVD. It's a stunning story, moving a piano from Sidney to Perth. Characters and episodes arise in the journey as the raison for taking the piano unfolds.

It vacillates between, humour, pathos, violence in instances but predominately in good and honest vibes. Remember 'Paper Moon?' an adult travelling with a minor storey? Minchin commutes with the very gifted Milly Alcock, a 13 yr. old suggesting she's really 16yrs by her driving and keeping him directed.

I dislike MInchin's Uk quiz character but in this, I realise he's quite a sensitive soul ( he wrote the script) and a stunning piano player ( well he's classically trained). The scene when bikers take over his piano located on the back of an 'ute' , the Minchin character joins him and harmonises the 'Chop Sticks' tune with variations is brilliant.

There's a myriad of other scenes, the piano gets lost and found on the road across the Nullarbor to an emotional and conclusional end.

Last edited:

ches

LE
Being 'old school' I'm attracted to a series with a beginning, a middle and an end, none of this arrsing around 15 series!

I mentioned that in passing some time ago (well late 1988 while I was then in Melbourne ) It's since come out in DVD. It's a stunning story, moving a piano from Sidney to Perth. Characters and episodes arise in the journey as the raison for taking the piano unfolds.

It vacillates between, humour, pathos, violence in instances but predominately in good and honest vibes. Remember 'Paper Moon?' an adult travelling with a minor storey? Minchin commutes with the very gifted Milly Alcock, a 13 yr. old suggesting she's really 16yrs by her driving and keeping him directed.

I dislike MInchin's Uk quiz Uk character but in this, I realise he's quite a sensitive soul ( he wrote the script) and a stunning piano player ( well he's classically trained). The scene when bikers take over his piano located on the back of an 'ute' , the Minchin character joins him and harmonises the 'Chop Sticks' tune with variations is brilliant.

There's a myriad of other scenes, the piano gets lost and found on the road across the Nullarbor to an emotional and conclusional end.

Concur with this. Its a staggeringly good piece of TV.

I dislike MInchin's Uk quiz Uk character but in this, I realise he's quite a sensitive soul ( he wrote the script) and a stunning piano player ( well he's classically trained). The scene when bikers take over his piano located on the back of an 'ute' , the Minchin character joins him and harmonises the 'Chop Sticks' tune with variations is brilliant.

Tim is a particular favourite of the Vatican.
NSFW

ches

LE
Tim is a particular favourite of the Vatican.
NSFW

I saw that clip over christmas on a prog about the covering up of abuse by the church - globally. Minchin almost single handedly shone a light on the abuse scandal in Aus with that ditty. Prior to that the reporting of it, esp the Melbourne stuff, was very low key. Background aside, its a bloody good piece of writing.

The Pembrokeshire Murders (ITV Catch-up) is well worth a watch. (Did a thread search and not mentioned).

I binged it last night in under three hours. Storyline is a cold case investigation into four unsolved murders and five unsolved rape/assaults (you can probably guess where these were set).

Tightly scripted and well acted (Keith Allen showing he can actually act rather than just be a professional piss artist).

Pretty much a straightforward police procedural followed by the court case (sadly all too brief - geddit. No, FO then). There is one plot turn which you would laugh at were it not actually true.

It was very well reviewed in the Time and Sunday Times.

Well worth eyeball time.

The Pembrokeshire Murders (ITV Catch-up) is well worth a watch. (Did a thread search and not mentioned).

I binged it last night in under three hours. Storyline is a cold case investigation into four unsolved murders and five unsolved rape/assaults (you can probably guess where these were set).

Tightly scripted and well acted (Keith Allen showing he can actually act rather than just be a professional piss artist).

Pretty much a straightforward police procedural followed by the court case (sadly all too brief - geddit. No, FO then). There is one plot turn which you would laugh at were it not actually true.

Well worth eyeball time.
The follow up documentary on the real case is worth watching too

TamH70

MIA

Well worth eyeball time.
Watched it this week. Agree to all the above, but, I would add the pacing of the film was spot on. No ‘hurry up and wait’, just well-paced (and filmed) telly.
Keith Allen makes a good villain, doesn’t he?

I have just seen the Beeb thing about disability being a hate crime. Saw the last programme too about disability.
I am holding my hand up to using the work spakker, and am probably not stopping soon. I also casually use other words some might think offensive.
I know it’s BBC (grrr) but it was interesting.
Them cnuts that kicked that persons guide dog will have a special circle of hell reserved for them.
What did I learn? It’s not that the planet contains people with disabilities, it just holds way too many cnuts.

Night Stalker on Netflix about a serial killer in California, for a Yank documentary it is actually well put together without all the pointless repetition prevalent in so many programmes these days. Well worth a watch

DITA

MIA
Smashed the new Hawaii 5-0 box set last year - thought it wasn't bad. I can see why the canned it at Series 10, it was getting a bit repetitive and far fetched (sorting out terrorists in AFG?). As it would when you're basing a series about crime on an Island.

With that in mind, Ive just started watching Magnum P.I. :oops: Ill let you know how that goes!

Latest Threads