Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What TV show have you just watched

His Dark Materials on BBC

For once it looks like Auntie has come up with something actually worth watching, the cast and the production values are fantastic.

(Yes we know it started off as a Young Adult series of books by Phillip Pullman but I read the books several years ago and they dealt with some surprisingly adult themes. Mrs Grey hasn't read them and is absolutely gripped with it).

philc

LE
No Mans land, a Frenchman goes in search of his presumed dead sister who might be in Syria fighting with the Kurds, gripping 1st episode, will continue as it seems promising.

Someone asked about Valley of Tears, so far all I have seen are Hebrew versions out there, in time a dubbed copy may appear.

Karamoja

War Hero
No Mans land, a Frenchman goes in search of his presumed dead sister who might be in Syria fighting with the Kurds, gripping 1st episode, will continue as it seems promising.

Someone asked about Valley of Tears, so far all I have seen are Hebrew versions out there, in time a dubbed copy may appear.
The sheltered enclave for unruly matelots has already got the first three episodes. They are in Hebrew but there is a link to an English subtitles file (.srt) which you can use with a player such as VLC.

Alaskan Bush People - Sky
I searched the thread and saw a few hits from 2014/5 where it was reviewed. Now in its eighth season.
Mrs Biff stumbled on it by accident last week and since then we have been binge watching what can only be described as WTF TV.
The Brown family are American didicoys and any good 'ole boy references of living like our ancestors should be dismissed immediately, as it is obvious to anyone, they don't have a scooby. Any trackin' an huntin' they get involved with is purely for TV. They are out and out Gyppos, tinkers and, well, you get my gist.
Watching fully grown adults behaving like toddlers is a wonder to behold. Some think it's all fake and that they are actors working to a script. I don't think they are, I think what you see is the product of homeschooling in the bush by parents that left school at 15 and 16, are are being manipulated to perform death defying stunts and ridicule by some warped production staff.
Star of the show for me is 'Bear' Brown, although they all have their moments. Bear is the real Forrest Gump of Alaska and has me in stitches. How the tw@t hasn't perished by being skewered on a broken branch is beyond reason....maybe he is 'extreme'.
Be prepared to forward wind through the speeches by Dad Billy about how wonderful his family is.
A good, if sometimes uncomfortable watch, it still has the lure of "WTF will they do in the next episode" appeal.
7/10 from the Biffs.

I'm looking forward to the episode where they blow the family to kingdom come with some enormous cloud release of gas from their boat.........I can always dream.

philc

LE
I have tried to watch Industry the BBCs new offering about 20 somethings getting in to big city work however its dull beyond belief. Its not the City Work but the absolute dullness of the characters, not one is interesting, imaginative or exciting. So far nothing has happened aside from one dead from something in the bogs, 3 episodes in and nothing has happened, a bit of flirting, some naughty words and let me pitch you an idea, no its crap, your rubbish.

If this is intended to woe the 20 somethings then either they are brain dead or its failed.

Finished 'The Right Stuff' on Disney+ last night. Excellent production values, took a look behind the 'Life Magazine' image of the original Mercury 7 astronauts, and thoroughly enjoyed it - highly recommended if you're into the Space Race.
Plus, every now and again, there's some late 50's/early 60's lady webbing on display :)

pete49

Old-Salt
Watched Britain’s most historic towns the other night , at the beginning was a lecture on slavery and how bad the British empire was , a once good program ruined , it was in Portsmouth where they visited HMS Victory, So next was Nelsons links to slavery

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Watched Britain’s moat historic towns the other night , at the beginning was a lecture on slavery and how bad the British empire was , a once good program ruined , it was in Portsmouth where they visited HMS Victory, So next was Nelsons links to slavery
I watched the very same programme, in fact the whole series, every episode seemed to harp on about racism and slavery. Ep 1 - Lincoln and it's links to Jewish victimisation in the Middle Ages, Ep 2 - London, Plague, Great Fire, Royal African Company, slavery and it's connection to Charles 2 and his family, Ep 3 - Portsmouth and it's slave and sex workers connection, HMS Victory, Nelson and his slave connection. As much as I like Alice Roberts (she really does know her shit), she seems to have jumped on the "woke" bandwagon for this season. At one point, she was speaking to a black historian and she mentioned the numbers of those enslaved and he came bakc with "it's not just the slaves, it's numbers of those who starved, the countries robbed of it's populations, etc", not a mention of the fact that the slaves were sold to the British and other nationalities by other Africans, it's as though they don't want to acknowledge their own ancestor's complicity in the whole thing.

ches

LE
I watched the very same programme, in fact the whole series, every episode seemed to harp on about racism and slavery. Ep 1 - Lincoln and it's links to Jewish victimisation in the Middle Ages, Ep 2 - London, Plague, Great Fire, Royal African Company, slavery and it's connection to Charles 2 and his family, Ep 3 - Portsmouth and it's slave and sex workers connection, HMS Victory, Nelson and his slave connection. As much as I like Alice Roberts (she really does know her shit), she seems to have jumped on the "woke" bandwagon for this season. At one point, she was speaking to a black historian and she mentioned the numbers of those enslaved and he came bakc with "it's not just the slaves, it's numbers of those who starved, the countries robbed of it's populations, etc", not a mention of the fact that the slaves were sold to the British and other nationalities by other Africans, it's as though they don't want to acknowledge their own ancestor's complicity in the whole thing.

Its the bullshit that the woke idiots peddle endlessly. Dont' let the fact that Nelson had a very loose connection with slavery get in way of talking bollocks. The concerted attempt to get the genpop to 'accept' that slavery was a white race invention & was entirely British in origin & implementation while ignoring the thousands of years of slavery before we even decided to build boats & go a travelling further than the straits of Dover. No mention of the arab nations & other african tribes who enslaved hundreds of thousands & traded them across africa. And if memory serves, the dutch & portuguese were in there before we were.

Its the bullshit that the woke idiots peddle endlessly. Dont' let the fact that Nelson had a very loose connection with slavery get in way of talking bollocks. The concerted attempt to get the genpop to 'accept' that slavery was a white race invention & was entirely British in origin & implementation while ignoring the thousands of years of slavery before we even decided to build boats & go a travelling further than the straits of Dover. No mention of the arab nations & other african tribes who enslaved hundreds of thousands & traded them across africa. And if memory serves, the dutch & portuguese were in there before we were.
A writer of the time, I can't remember who, said something like "not a single African would have crossed the Atlantic, if their own kings had not been prepared to sell them".

Flicking through the channels and came across 'The Emily Atack Show', ITV2. She was Charlotte in The Inbetweeners and is the daughter of Paul McCartney's cousin, Kate Robbins. Stand-up and comedy sketches written by young Em. Fracking hilarious.
Not.
She owes me forty five minutes of my life back.

Last edited:
Actually found a time when the kids weren't watching Netflix to log on...
I'm only the soft pr#ck that pays the subscription....
Anyway, three am, flicking through sh#te came across Fauda,
I guess everyone else has watched it, but F'kin H it's got me gripped, I fell asleep at 07.45!

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
Sat and watched the first part of the Channel 5 three nighter about Anne Boleyn presented by Tracy Borman. It was done very like the late Richard holmes 'War Walks' with her tracing the history. Ok, they had the little scrote Owen Jones on describing 'spin doctos' but it was only for about 90 seconds.

Well worth a watch.

A writer of the time, I can't remember who, said something like "not a single African would have crossed the Atlantic, if their own kings had not been prepared to sell them".
Forget the word slave and think more in term of prisoner of war. African tribes fight. When prisoners are taken they have to have a value or they will be killed. So when the white man turned up to buy them he was actually saving their lives. So Coulston in Bristol should be praised for saving the lives of 80,000 African prisoners of war. (That last line may be pushing it a bit.) And unlike the Muslim slave traders, the Europeans had no problem buying un-castrated male slaves, in fact they preferred it as it meant that there was less need to buy slaves in Africa if you could grow your own. You could even say that European slave traders were environmentally friendly.

And unlike the Muslim slave traders, the Europeans had no problem buying un-castrated male slaves, in fact they preferred it as it meant that there was less need to buy slaves in Africa if you could grow your own. You could even say that European slave traders were environmentally friendly.
Au contraire

As mush_lass pointed out to me that smoking is environmentally friendly:
  • Humans damage the planet
  • Smoking kills humans
  • Fewer humans means less environmental damage
  • Ergo, smoking is environmentally friendly

Toy Show

they are raising money this year over €850,000 in about 15 mins

by the time the show was over (about an hour after the phone lines opened)

they had raised €1.06 for every man, woman and child on the island of Ireland for a number of children’s charities

€5.2m and counting

exspy

LE
The Flight Attendant (2020) starring and produced by Kaley Cuoco on HBO Max in US and Crave in Canada.

Just watched the first of three 45-minute episodes. Initial impression? A murder mystery on the lines of Sex and the City. Strictly chic fiction.

Kaley plays a middle-aged, promiscuous, alcoholic flight attendant. On a flight to Bangkok she bangs a guy from first class in the lavatory. She sees him again that night and stays in his hotel room. In the morning she wakes up, remembers nothing, he's in bed beside her covered in blood with his throat slit. Hilarity ensures. Well, not hilarity per se as it's played straight. Kaley gets out of the hotel and back on her flight. Once the plane lands back to New York the FBI is waiting to interview the flight crew. Kaley begins to recall a third person, a woman, who was with her and the guy for a part of their evening. Suspenseful end to the first episode. Oh yeah, the dead guy was apparently wealthy and from a powerful American family.

No nudity except for a brief view of boobs at a strip club (to show how wild Kaley is) in the opening credits. Written, produced and directed by the fairer of the sexes. The male characters are either dead, gay or inappropriate.

I recorded all three episodes, but I don't think I'll be watching the next two. I just don't care about Kaley and her slow descent into madness.

However it may be right up your alley so fill yer boots.

Cheers,
Dan.

Squaddies on the Front Line. I found it on You Tube, but it appears to have been a recent BBC production. Interviews of various solders and officers who served in Northern Ireland at various times during The Troubles.

Latest Threads