Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What TV show have you just watched

A heads up for any of The Mandalorian fans, Episode 1 of Season 2 will air in the UK this Friday.

Biggish

Swinger
I’ve watched adverts that now involve men proposing to men, women proposing to women, and cats that can hypnotise their owners.
I’m pretty sure that either Clinton Morrison or Adebayo Akinfenwa will shortly be announced as the next host of Question Time.
The scramble to be the most ‘woke’ gathers momentum unfortunately.
And that ******* Starbucks Gemma/ James thing is just ridiculous.

Just started watching Medal of Honour on Netflix, just two episodes in .

This isn’t the normal American gung-ho we won WW6, but a serious story of how the MoH recipient came to be awarded their Nations highest gallantry medal.
There’s interviews with fellow recipients and fellow warriors and if their still with us, the subject.
The one thing that struck me, was how similar in attitude they are to our VC recipients! Humble, moved, this isn’t for me but my brothers.
10/10.

I must admit, dusty in the room! It’s took me half an hour to write this, honestly struggled to find the right words to explain this series without sounding thick!

(For some unknown reason they say it is bad form to quote one's self but I don't care.)

Looks like I was wrong as I have just discovered that Talking Pictures are showing Callan at 0400 every morning.

I recorded all the episodes of Callan thanks to your post above.

And all the Rumpoles (ditto a previous post).

Watched all the Rumpoles (or at least the ones I managed to record in time). Not quite as I remembered it but still very enjoyable. Issue with the screen aspect that I couldn't rectify so everything was elongated. Everyone looked dumpy (Rumpole was almost square) and all the cars looked like 1950s Cadilllacs.

Started on the episodes of Callan last night. A little more tame than I remembered and the B&W production/filming was pretty dire. Mostly a studio production. It would have confused the fcuk out of anyone who has not seen it before and just jumped straight into it. This is not helped by not seeing the initial pilot film and 11 out of first 22 episodes of the first two series going AWOL.

Hopefully the discontinuity and crap filming will improve when they get to series 3 and 4 (all of which are in colour and still survive).

Will start on Spooks after Callan as the episodes are burning up the Sky box.

I made the mistake of watching the remake first and switched it off halfway through the first episode for being shoite IMHO.

I've now started on the original which is a completely different animal and I'm hooked.
How did I not see it until now?

I assume you mean Oblivion (judging by the mention of Wilson Wilson in the post you quote).

Can I ask where you are watching this?

Currently watching "Trailer Park Boys" (again) on Netflix.
It really is laugh out loud funny and must be one of the most under-rated comedies ever.
12 seasons on Netflix.......

The new series 5 of Billions started on Sky Atlantic last week. (Two concurrent episodes at 9pm on Wednesdays - first four episodes available on catch-up).

A straight continuation of the previous four series but you can just jump into it without having seen the previous series (well worth watching the final episode of Series 4 for a master lesson in how to plot a complicated plot) .

Excellent actors, script and adult themes. Same intricate plots of financial and legal shenanigans. (I still have no idea how they make such colossal pots of cash though).

One of my favourite series of the last few years.

syrup

LE
Without being too critical, I rather enjoyed "The Singapore Grip" having read the book some years ago. I never got to Singapore/Malaya myself but a number of Officers and WO/NCOs in the unit in which I served by National Service had been PW on the Death Railway when our 1st Battalion had been overrun by the Japs in 1942. As the ORQMS and ex PW, for whom I worked told me "If a day passed without you getting a clip around the ear then you could say you had had a good day!" Our 1st Battalion Leicesters combined with the 2nd East Surreys and styled "The British Battalion" were awarded a Battle Honour for jolting the Japs at the Battle of Muar. One observation I could make on the programme was our hero being driven around in a Jeep. At that time, were Jeeps on issue to the British forces? Or would an Austin Ten "tilly" have been more realistic?

I went off it when the guy who adapted the screen play compared the fall of Singapore with Brexit as one if Britain's unmitigated disasters

I assume you mean Oblivion (judging by the mention of Wilson Wilson in the post you quote).

Can I ask where you are watching this?
I think you mean Utopia rather than Oblivion.

Both versions are available on Prime.

I recorded all the episodes of Callan thanks to your post above.

And all the Rumpoles (ditto a previous post).

Watched all the Rumpoles (or at least the ones I managed to record in time). Not quite as I remembered it but still very enjoyable. Issue with the screen aspect that I couldn't rectify so everything was elongated. Everyone looked dumpy (Rumpole was almost square) and all the cars looked like 1950s Cadilllacs.

Started on the episodes of Callan last night. A little more tame than I remembered and the B&W production/filming was pretty dire. Mostly a studio production. It would have confused the fcuk out of anyone who has not seen it before and just jumped straight into it. This is not helped by not seeing the initial pilot film and 11 out of first 22 episodes of the first two series going AWOL.

Hopefully the discontinuity and crap filming will improve when they get to series 3 and 4 (all of which are in colour and still survive).

Will start on Spooks after Callan as the episodes are burning up the Sky box.
Seeing as you're a Rumpole fan, may I recommend his role in the Beatles film Help.

For some reason which I can't quite pin down, this is never shown on telly...

ETA Victor Spinetti is pretty amusing in it as well.

Just watching a celebration of Stevie Wonder on BBC4. I’ve always been a Rock fan personally, but what a back catalogue this guy has. Brilliant stuff.

A heads up for any of The Mandalorian fans, Episode 1 of Season 2 will air in the UK this Friday.
...and excellent it was.

I just hope they keep the woke women away from directing episodes - as was the weakest (by far) in the first season. It's a back to basics Western set in the SW universe, it's not meant to be complicated, and is ruined when made something else.

Just watching a celebration of Stevie Wonder on BBC4. I’ve always been a Rock fan personally, but what a back catalogue this guy has. Brilliant stuff.
I too am a rock fan but I grew up in a house full of Soul and Motown courtesy of mum. She saw Little Stevie Wonder in the Colston Hall in Bristol in the 60's where he was one of a whole troupe of American acts and said even then, he was head and shoulders above all the others.

Latest Threads