Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What TV show have you just watched

Himmler74

On ROPS
On ROPs
Border Town on Netflix, very good watch, based in Finland.

I tried watching that, gave up after half Way through the third episode, just couldn’t get into it, a bit disjointed for me.
Thanks any way.
The early episodes covers five adults, with flashbacks to them as kids.

Each of the first five episodes focuses on one of them.

Episode six has five single long takes with some flashbacks and all tied together by a storm at both times.

Then the final few episodes has revelations about the house itself.

There's a fascinating making of video where the actors are walking round and others are following behind and switching statues heads out of shot so the statue looks like it has "moved" when it cuts back the the statue. Keep your eyes on things like statues.

The hidden ghosts:

Spoilers. If you get lost this is what each episode covers.

Just watched the first episode of 3rd and latest series of "Star Trek - Discovery".

In the future, there are no white male hetrosexuals. There are a handful of gay honkies and a few of indeterminate sex but there are lots of strong black woman, some crazy white women and strong black and 'ethnic' blokes.

Us white blokes with a penchant for the female species are so 21st century.
I'll not be watching any more of this bollocks.
I thought the first series was ok, got bored by the second series haven't bothered with the third.

I gave up on Picard half way through too.

I've found the best "Star Trek" to be "The Orville."

slick

LE
Watched the latest "Who do you think you are" on iplayer.
David Walliams finds out about his great grandfathers service in WW1.
Bit of a harrowing tale, the chap suffered from shell shock and was stuck in an asylum in 1919 until his death in the 1960s (I think).

Big Mouth TV show.

Ive come to the conclusion that Netflix have bought some pretty fucked up cartoons.

BigT

LE
Just watched the first episode of 3rd and latest series of "Star Trek - Discovery".

In the future, there are no white male hetrosexuals. There are a handful of gay honkies and a few of indeterminate sex but there are lots of strong black woman, some crazy white women and strong black and 'ethnic' blokes.

Us white blokes with a penchant for the female species are so 21st century.
I'll not be watching any more of this bollocks.
Honkies you say, have to time travelled from the 1970's

'Private Lives' a S.Korean crime drama, with a bit of humour, a bit of dark, and a lot of twists.

I usually avoid K-TV as it is blatantly sexploitational in a very Dean Martin Show cheesy way, but my niece assured me that it was good so I gave it a go.
Heading the cast is former K-Pop girl band front person, Seohyun, whose trademark was a just-long-enough t-shirt along with hooker boots. Apart from the odd scene where her wardrobe regresses she dresses very elegantly in the tale and the real bonus is that she can act.

The story starts with Seohyun graduating her rural residential high school and coming to the city where she discovers that mum and dad are professional hustlers.
Stings are referred to as 'documentaries' and her fathers is a bit of a low level player, like Eddie Murphy's character at the start of Trading Places, playing a crippled beggar. He is a nice enough guy and a caring dad but freshly arrived Seohyun is not impressed. As she watches, two men rumble her dads scam and the crowd turn on him. Seohyun to the rescue, convinces the crowd he is the pastor of an orphanage and this is the sole means of funding. Without him the children will starve. Dad becomes a local hero and Seohyun realises she is a natural grifter.
Dad starts his own congregation in a hall and they rake the money in,later starting a pyramid scheme to raise funds for their own skyscraper church.
Dad, unfortunately, begins to believe his own fake persona and really wants to build the church and help people, not leg it with the money, which is noted by a rival, beautiful but soulless, Jeong Bok Gi, who stings them for the entire sum raised and informs on them to the police.

Dad gets 10 years and her mum does a runner with a younger man, leaving her minder, Hanson, a past his prime boxer with a drink problem to watch over Seohyun and complete her grifter education. It flows like 'Hustle' for a bit with Seohyun seen briefly in various guises, of cabin crew, hyper pizza delivery girl, hooker, executive, etc etc however, Seohyun is distracted by the desire for revenge on Jeong. She tries to go solo and sting Jeong by implicating her as mastermind of a fake banking scam but Jeong was onto her from the first. Jeong has already fitted up Seohyun. Seohyun gets nicked but it is a first offence and she still has the money so she could get a suspended. However, the night before the trial one of the victims of the scam appears to commit suicide (in reality murdered by Jeong to increase the sentence) and she gets jail time.

The writing is quite subtle, you see little of the time in prison, but you pick up on the fact that she had a full on 'thang' with her butch cellmate for a couple of years when the cellmate is released and Seohyun takes her for a meal, during which a young exec type, Kyung-pyo Go, hits on Seohyun and the former cellmate is not best pleased. Seohyun takes her home to make up for it and resume where they left off on D Wing, only to find a man in the apartment, Hanson the minder. Her lesbian lover storms off.
A chance encounter with that exec starts a romance, she meets Kyung-pyo Go's parents and he proposes. Seohyun is head over heels and accepts, which not only really hacks off the lesbian squeeze but also Hanson who has secretly been in love with her.
Come the wedding, Seohyun is jilted at the altar, worse still all his 'parents and family' are revealed to be hired actors.
In the next episode we see Kyung-pyo Go arriving at the church only to be attacked on the steps by six men with knives and axes. I haven't seen moves like he had since Ben Affleck rumbled with Jon Bernthal's crew in The Accountant, and I don't know how everyone awaiting the grooms arrival could not have heard it kicking off, nonetheless he escapes but his body is later found in a car wreck, is it him, though?

That was two episodes worth and there are another fourteen to go.

Private Lives

Attachments

• Seohyun.jpg
    Seohyun.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Just watched the new series of Celebrity Juice, during one game, Emily Atack shouts out, "I've got porridge in my clitoris!" :D

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Just watched this:- Barbarians (2020 TV series) - Wikipedia
6 parter on Netflix, german language but dubbed apart from where the Romans are speaking Latin where it turns to subtitles. Not too bad, some graphic violence as well.

Just watched this:- Barbarians (2020 TV series) - Wikipedia
6 parter on Netflix, german language but dubbed apart from where the Romans are speaking Latin where it turns to subtitles. Not too bad, some graphic violence as well.
Watched it all last night, not bad for a kraut series. Dogs of Berlin is another good one.

TamH70

MIA
An episode of "Secret Nazi Bases", which for once lived up to the title. It was dealing with the Maisy Battery in Normandy, France - a hop, skip and a fart away from the famous Pointe Du Hoc clifftop battery overlooking Omaha Beach, on which it happily rained fire for three days after that battery's capture by the US Rangers - as well as on sectors of both Omaha and Utah beaches.

The episode raised a few questions, some of which were why did the Allies bury the whole complex almost immediately after clearing out ordnance, and why wasn't it captured on D-Day itself when the Ranger units tasked with taking it after capturing Pointe Du Hoc - as cropped up in declassified orders which came to light after an English amateur historian discovered the complex by tripping over one of its chimneys - instead seemingly disobeyed direct orders to do so and held firm at Pointe Du Hoc when Maisy was blowing the crap out of their fellow GIs for days afterwards?

I linked to a Washington Post article reference the affair in the Worst War Movies Ever thread a while back, and unlike most WP articles, it is well worth reading. (Here it is in case you can't be bothered thread-switching:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/hist...us-heroic-assaults-may-have-been-unnecessary/ )

An episode of "Secret Nazi Bases", which for once lived up to the title. It was dealing with the Maisy Battery in Normandy, France - a hop, skip and a fart away from the famous Pointe Du Hoc clifftop battery overlooking Omaha Beach, on which it happily rained fire for three days after that battery's capture by the US Rangers - as well as on sectors of both Omaha and Utah beaches.

The episode raised a few questions, some of which were why did the Allies bury the whole complex almost immediately after clearing out ordnance, and why wasn't it captured on D-Day itself when the Ranger units tasked with taking it after capturing Pointe Du Hoc - as cropped up in declassified orders which came to light after an English amateur historian discovered the complex by tripping over one of its chimneys - instead seemingly disobeyed direct orders to do so and held firm at Pointe Du Hoc when Maisy was blowing the crap out of their fellow GIs for days afterwards?

I linked to a Washington Post article reference the affair in the Worst War Movies Ever thread a while back, and unlike most WP articles, it is well worth reading. (Here it is in case you can't be bothered thread-switching:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/hist...us-heroic-assaults-may-have-been-unnecessary/ )

Ja, ich auch - I sprawled out to watch it with half an eye expecting the usual over-excited 'Hey! guess what we found!' tripe.

How wrong was I. It really did give me a couple of 'Oh! rly?! Never knew that . . . '

Thanks for the prod - may have to hunt it down and watch it again as I'm sure that I missed stuff.

Idly scratching my arse flicking between channels and happened upon 'Inside the factory' on BBC2.
It's almost certainly a repeat but I was gobsmacked at the revelation that green tea and black tea come from the same plant. It's just how its processed that determines how it ends up.
Every day a school day.

The Queens Gambit. Netflix.

Ffffffffffffing excellent. Not for all tastes for sure but the 7 episodes are brilliantly directed by the chap who directed GODLESS which was another excellent series.

The premise is about an orphan girl at age 9 taught to play chess by the janitor, no dodgy stuff thankfully, but it turns out she is a prodigy in the making. The story develops into her getting asked to play in tournaments across the U.S. in the early 60's. The chess games are filmed fast, and differently, letting you know by facial expressions what's going on rather than getting bogged down with chess moves that not many people understand, so yeah, it's about chess but it's not boring at all. A shoe in for some acting and directing awards imo.

Like all quiet themed series don't fire it up immediately after watching something with guns, violence, and death, give it at least one episode to discover the characters and plot before making your mind up because I honestly think it's well worth a watch.

Johned

Old-Salt
Without being too critical, I rather enjoyed "The Singapore Grip" having read the book some years ago. I never got to Singapore/Malaya myself but a number of Officers and WO/NCOs in the unit in which I served by National Service had been PW on the Death Railway when our 1st Battalion had been overrun by the Japs in 1942. As the ORQMS and ex PW, for whom I worked told me "If a day passed without you getting a clip around the ear then you could say you had had a good day!" Our 1st Battalion Leicesters combined with the 2nd East Surreys and styled "The British Battalion" were awarded a Battle Honour for jolting the Japs at the Battle of Muar. One observation I could make on the programme was our hero being driven around in a Jeep. At that time, were Jeeps on issue to the British forces? Or would an Austin Ten "tilly" have been more realistic?

The C4 was very violent, Wilson Wilson had his eye spooned out and they faked young Grant on a school massacre, this is for obvious reasons not in the remake.

The remake took some time to warm too but it’s a decent go at it, I await Season 2.
I made the mistake of watching the remake first and switched it off halfway through the first episode for being shoite IMHO.

I've now started on the original which is a completely different animal and I'm hooked.
How did I not see it until now?