Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What TV show have you just watched

Their website has a two week schedule which is useful. Not that long ago they showed 1970s series Out with Tom Bell. Still good after 40 years.
Thanks for the info on the longer term schedule .... they broadcast some gems of films ... and old TV Series ..

I don't think Talking Pictures have a 'Catchup' facility if that is what you mean.
I have now put it in to record every morning and hopefully it's not too far into the series.
Having just caught the very last episode of 'Rumpole of the Bailey' I decided to get the box set so Talking Pictures have now started to reshow it at 0300 every morning.
It is worthwhile checking out the after midnight stuff on Talking Pictures.

Did that.

Thanks.

Been watching Rumpole over the last two nights. Oddly enough he comes across as a lot less of the "genial old duffer" than I remember. The episodes were from 1979 so perhaps he became more amiable in the following series.

Got Callan to watch now.

PFGEN

GCM
Anybody here use the AppleTV service? I have an offer of a free one year subscription but from what I've been able to discern up to now its generally a load of woke tat. Telling me that the likes of Opera Winfrey is on is not going to induce me to sign up even if it is free.

Anybody here use the AppleTV service? I have an offer of a free one year subscription but from what I've been able to discern up to now its generally a load of woke tat. Telling me that the likes of Opera Winfrey is on is not going to induce me to sign up even if it is free.
For all mankind is worth a watch!

This thread will be a bit sparse tomorrow. I just looked at tonight's listings in the Times and there is farkall worth watching.

Nothing, nada, diddley squat.

One programme that might be vaguely interesting. The Bone Detectives at 20:00 on C4.

Apparently some skulls were discovered in a 19thC boneyard in Brizzle.

Colour me surprised. That must have come as a huge mystery to the boneologists.

Edit: I watched the Bone Detectives last night. It was pretty good TBH. It was about some old skellingbones from Ipswich so I assume the Times bolloxed up the listings. Some decent totty as well - good candidates for the MILF and academics who'd get it threads.

Last edited:
Netflix: The Spy.

Featuring Sacha Baron Cohen in a non comedic role.

Quite good it was too, but I couldn’t help see certain mannerisms from some of his other characters.

Based on a true story of Israel’s most successful spy during the 1960’s.

I've just finished watching this and I agree that it was good. It took an episode for me to stop seeing Borat. It was filmed in Morocco and Hungary and effectively done.

The story of his life is, if anything, more interesting than what is shown in the TV series. Earlier in his life he was involved in getting Egyptian Jews out of Egypt before going to Israel himself.

We’ve been watching the Aussie murder drama Mystery Road. Watched series1 on catchup now on 2.
It’s about an half Aboriginal Copper in NW Western Australia, investigating drug related murder.
8/10.

I've just finished watching this and I agree that it was good. It took an episode for me to stop seeing Borat. It was filmed in Morocco and Hungary and effectively done.

The story of his life is, if anything, more interesting than what is shown in the TV series. Earlier in his life he was involved in getting Egyptian Jews out of Egypt before going to Israel himself.

Did you not rate SBC's portrayal in The Spy? I thought it was very good.

Watched one episode of Ted Lasso on Friday.

It's a comedy about an American Football coach hired by a Premier League owner to manage the struggling team. Ted knows sweet FA about, errrr, the FA, but was secretly hired to allow the team to fail. I was expecting a pathetic farcical comedy.

How wrong I was.

Yesterday we watched Eps, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, & 9. and waiting for 10 out next Friday.

Edited to add it's an Apple Production.

Last edited:
We’ve been watching the Aussie murder drama Mystery Road. Watched series1 on catchup now on 2.
It’s about an half Aboriginal Copper in NW Western Australia, investigating drug related murder.
8/10.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I saw that in the paper yesterday and decided to give it a bash. Downloaded Series 1 and S2:Ep1 and 2. Put the rest on series link.

Might watch it now (rather than leave it on the box and delete it in 12 months when I start to run out of disk space).

philc

LE
Watched one episode of Ted Lasso on Friday.

It's a comedy about an American Football coach hired by a Premier League owner to manage the struggling team. Ted knows sweet FA about, errrr, the FA, but was secretly hired to allow the team to fail. I was expecting a pathetic farcical comedy.

How wrong I was.

Yesterday we watched Eps, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, & 9. and waiting for 10 out next Friday.

Edited to add it's an Apple Production.

This was a revelation, expecting duff and its well made, funny fun.

Did you not rate SBC's portrayal in The Spy? I thought it was very good.

I did indeed and should have said so. I think he reflected his character's bravery and sensitivity very well.

E2A: I see that SBC co-directed, it would be interesting to read how he felt about his character, eg was this just another 'job' or did he feel it was a tale worth (re)telling?

Last edited:

Karamoja

War Hero
8/10.

I'm also enjoying it, but what I have found surprising about Australia is what fine upstanding citizens all the Aborigines are, whereas all the whites are all drug dealers, murderers and complete low lifes!

I'm also enjoying it, but what I have found surprising about Australia is what fine upstanding citizens all the Aborigines are, whereas all the whites are all drug dealers, murderers and complete low lifes!
It’s all gone downhill since Rolfs 3rd leg was exposed. I’ve enjoyed it but they’re not big on dialogue.

Not just watched, but a week or two, or maybe three ago, Spitfire Voices on Together TV

It had the usual talking heads of Spitfire pilots reminiscing about flying Spits, but also some technical stuff not often mentioned on documentaries, such as the availability of parts for refurbishing salvaged spits, and one Spit reclaimer showing a wing spar section which was made up of multiple tubes of increasing size like a layer cake, one inside the other which I would never have guessed they would have done as a 1930s design.

Karamoja

War Hero
If you like Spitfires, then have a look at "Spitfire Factory" on More4. The first episode was on last night and it gives a good insight into literally the "nuts & bolts" of restoring Spitfires.

Sky Arts is a 'new' channel which has popped up on UK's Freeview channels. Watched a few hours of Pink Floyd's concerts followed by a filmed essay on the group and their music, the latter supported by their production studio technicians.

Yesterday evening featured an hour long feature on the actor Burt Lancaster. In both instances all very mature academic views opinions on the artists. Graham Norton or Ross dross it isn't. The adverts are a pisser though.

8/10.
We've been watching this - a bit of a slow burner, but with some grit. I have to say I've been disappointed with how they have cast Sofia Helin (Saga in The Bridge). Her character is very poorly written and I think the Producers have wasted the opportunity presented to them by having a high profile actress in their ranks.
By all accounts (my missus!), the lead actor also 'stars' in Aussie Soap, Home and Away. I would never have known! :smile:

Sky Arts is a 'new' channel which has popped up on UK's Freeview channels. Watched a few hours of Pink Floyd's concerts followed by a filmed essay on the group and their music, the latter supported by their production studio technicians.

Yesterday evening featured an hour long feature on the actor Burt Lancaster. In both instances all very mature academic views opinions on the artists. Graham Norton or Ross dross it isn't. The adverts are a pisser though.

There is some good stuff on Sky Arts. Lots of programmes on rock music, art, cinema, architecture etc which I have found worth watching.

All ads are a PITA but I watch everything on playback and skip through them at 30X.

I find the channel a bit hit and miss. For example, there is a lot of interesting stuff on tonight but last night was dross (purely personal of course - it may have been heaven to others). I think this is down to it being a "spoiler" channel whereby Sky show they can do "culture" as well as the BBC (they can't) and don't just show Septic stuff and garbage.

Latest Threads