Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What TV show have you just watched

Oops

War Hero
Bugger. Is Rumpole over? I will miss old Horace (but not the bollox TPTV have put in front of it about "different times/different attitudes/language /race etc".

Thanks for the heads-up on the replay/post midnight stuff. You would think they would put the decent stuff on in peak hours.

If you like Rumpole the Radio 4 versions are very good.
Did you notice the cameo of John Mortimer in the Judges dinner scene?

I didn't realise it was the last one, he wasn't
mentioned in the credits , but I thought it was a nice touch to finish with.

David Cameron should have remembered one of Rumpole’s rules ie. Don’t ask a question where you may not like the answer.

In fact, I'm not part of the Netflix wahoo or variations, which in truth when I read some of the movie comments I really need to re-consider. As such 'Freeview' has accorded all my 'flick' through options on an evening - 'Callan' or 'Rumpole' ' The Persuaders' or whoever.
I've just caught up with 'The Sweeney' after all these years.

So what happened to the TSR 2's that had been built? Were they just scrapped?
I seem to recall they were scrapped.

There was one weird cinema newsreel clip of bits of it being used as fashion accesories with some bint in a dress with bits of its innards stuck all over her.
It had that happy go lucky narration "And it's even turning some heads at the Air Ministry." as some crab top brass gets out of a car, pings her and gives an admiring look, with a half smile and a faint nod.

It looked like she was wearing the distributor cap from a Ford Mondeo.
Utterly bizarre.

I seem to recall they were scrapped.

There was one weird cinema newsreel clip of bits of it being used as fashion accesories with some bint in a dress with bits of its innards stuck all over her.
It had that happy go lucky narration "And it's even turning some heads at the Air Ministry." as some crab top brass gets out of a car, pings her and gives an admiring look, with a half smile and a faint nod.

It looked like she was wearing the distributor cap from a Ford Mondeo.
Utterly bizarre.
There's one in Cosford I think and a cockpit section somewhere else.
ETA one each at Cosford and Duxford.Various parts elsewhere: British Aircraft Corporation TSR 2 | Survivors

Did you notice the cameo of John Mortimer in the Judges dinner scene?

I didn't realise it was the last one, he wasn't
mentioned in the credits , but I thought it was a nice touch to finish with.

Yep. Clocked that.

Thought he was doing a bit of a Hitchcock.

He wasn't mentioned in the credits but he is listed in the IMDB entry as "uncredited".

Well I used to enjoy " Question of Sport " ... I doubt for much longer ...

... linky ... Sue Barker 'sad' to leave A Question of Sport .

Doubtless the new line up will be BAMELGBTXYZ and a roaring success .

67B2F515-2398-4776-8B58-309C3B51752C.jpeg

correct

Thank Christ they didn’t drop them on the invasion ports as D Day would not have happened until 1945.

I was told on my course that when Hull and Grimsby(?) got bombed with them, the government immediately slapped a ‘D’ notice on them. They realised the risk to the Normandy landings. They then apparently used the XX Committee to feed back messages that they were shite and the Brits were taking the piss.

In fact, the German bomb damage assessment in the Spanish Civil War had shown that, pound for pound, they were much more effective than normal bombs, but the Luftwaffe senior bods - being aircrew themselves, didn’t believe their own boffins and instead believed the British disinformation.

I was told on my course that when Hull and Grimsby(?) got bombed with them, the government immediately slapped a ‘D’ notice on them. They realised the risk to the Normandy landings. They then apparently used the XX Committee to feed back messages that they were shite and the Brits were taking the piss.

In fact, the German bomb damage assessment in the Spanish Civil War had shown that, pound for pound, they were much more effective than normal bombs, but the Luftwaffe senior bods - being aircrew themselves, didn’t believe their own boffins and instead believed the British disinformation.

Or Canaris bigged up the misinformation.

NSP

LE
Season 2 of Criminal: UK on Netflix. Season 1 was good; this is up there with it. Cops interrogate slippy suspects/witnesses; trip 'em up. Given that it is basically set entirely in an interview suite with the odd shot in the passage outside and could be flat and boring it's surprisingly tense and compelling. Mildly woke but not intrusively so.

Watched the first 2 episodes of the 2nd series of Australian cop series Mystery Road last night. Set in the Outback, it is quite gritty and a decent enough programme - we’ll watch the remaining episodes (BBC 4, Saturday evenings, although the whole series is now available to download.*
Of particular interest is the appearance of Sofia Helin (of The Bridge fame) who plays an archaeologist. Have to say her character in this is nowhere near as fascinating or interesting as Saga!

*I’m not a fan of downloads, as invariably they don’t support subtitles, which are a must with my dodgy hearing!

Last edited:

DAS

War Hero
Been working my way through Vikings. Just started series 5. As a history lesson don't take as gospel. As entertainment, not bad.

Been working my way through Vikings.
Try Norsemen, if you can. It's basically a parody of Vikings, setting modern Scandinavian mores amongst Viking society.

They'll rape and pillage but feel uncomfortable with sexism.

Last episode just finished. Pretty bloody good, all in all. I never knew that Nilsen died in prison a couple of years back. That one completely passed me by.
I have my doubts. I suspect he's been released on licence and given a new identity. After all you never see Robert Peston and Dennis Nilson photographed together

sunny james

War Hero
Just watched the latest program of the War Factories series on Yesterday. It featured Colt and Kalashnikov and I found it interesting and learnt a few facts I wasn't aware of. If you like weapons, I can recommend it.
Surely the best channel for shooters is on YouTube

And a plug for a new favourite

I have my doubts. I suspect he's been released on licence and given a new identity. After all you never see Robert Peston and Dennis Nilson photographed together

It would be a very brave Home Secretary that authorised that!

I watched the three episodes last night and thought they were excellent. Well worth eyeball time.

I wondered how he fared in prison. I know you go to prison as punishment, not for punishment, but sometimes . . .

Wouldn't fancy being a 19 year old burglar in nick and the screw opening the door and saying "Right Jenkins, this is you new cellmate Dennis" (he was placed in a single cell).

Like @Provost, I have no recollection of him croaking, despite it being only two years ago. Probably thought "Good riddance. Don't GAF. Move on".

I have finished watching the first series of Schitt's Creek, nice gentle fun. I have also finished the first series of The Fall, but it has vanished off Netflix before I could watch the next couple of series. Bugger.

I don't think Talking Pictures have a 'Catchup' facility if that is what you mean.
I have now put it in to record every morning and hopefully it's not too far into the series.
Having just caught the very last episode of 'Rumpole of the Bailey' I decided to get the box set so Talking Pictures have now started to reshow it at 0300 every morning.
It is worthwhile checking out the after midnight stuff on Talking Pictures.
Their website has a two week schedule which is useful. Not that long ago they showed 1970s series Out with Tom Bell. Still good after 40 years.

Latest Threads