What TV show have you just watched

I finished series 2 of the Israeli series False Flag last night. Apparently a third series is being filmed. As long as you can bear sub-titles (or speak Hebrew) it is recommended. I watched it on SBS On Demand, so you'll need a VPN to access it.

false-flag.jpg

The good news is that the IDF girls in the Mossad ops room are a better looking bunch in this series.

Edited to correct the name of the source.

Last edited:
I've just watched this on SBS On Demand, but it is on Channel 4:

download.jpg

When motor racing met the Third Reich.

Last edited:

philc

LE
I finished series 2 of the Israeli series False Flag last night. Apparently a third series is being filmed. As long as you can bear sub-titles (or speak Hebrew) it is recommended. I watched it on SBS On Demand, so you'll need a VPN to access it.

View attachment 496991

The good news is that the IDF girls in the Mossad ops room are a better looking bunch in this series.

Edited to correct the name of the source.
Thought the 2nd weak, the first though was a good watch.

I just binge watched Band Of Brothers. Obviously excellent.

I felt like something a bit more lighthearted afterwards and had a look see at a few comedy programmes.

One was Enterprice (not a spelling mistake) about two young black men trying to set up a delivery company. It's a bit outside my cultural orbit but I quite enjoyed it as a snapshot of urban black life and sort of got to like the two main characters. Some decent totty in it as well. Maybe not for everybody (and especially not for those with robust views on certain racial groups - but feck 'em) but worth having a look at.

Diane Morgan has a new series called Mandy. I find her quite funny as Philomena Cunk so checked it out. It's probably fair to say that it hasn't quite got into its stride yet but it has promise. The episodes are only 15 minutes long so you are hardly throwing your life away having a butchers.

Lee Mack has a new series called Semi-Detached. The Sunday Times gave it Critics Choice and suggested you binge it as the six episodes "will last as long as a Brian Rix farce". I'm not totally convinced. It has a very good comedy actor cast but it seems to be trying a bit too hard at the moment. If you watch it on catch up check out the pilot episode first.

Something that is genuinely funny (without reservation) is Squeamish About, a spoof documentary by Matt Berry. It is four 15 minute episodes and is actually laugh out loud (which makes a change nowadays). Whilst the language won't shock anyone here I wouldn't recommend watching it with the kids or your granny.

As a fail safe mechanism I downloaded Blackadder Goes Forth.

Last edited:
Cursed on Netflix. Sort of fantasy Arthurian thing about witches and some mad murderous monks. Very violent. Roll on season two...!
So Arthur's mixed race then... how very woke

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Recorded it from History the other week, haven't got round to watching it yet.
I have edited my post, I just realised that I had miscounted my Reichs.

BBC 4 are re-showing The Bridge tonight at 9pm. First four episodes in a straight run.

Presumably the rest follow over the next few Saturdays.

Not so much what I watched as a heads up. During a quick channel surf I noticed a Norwegian film "The Kings Choice" on BBC2, first shown on BBC4. It looks rather good!

I will wait and try to watch it from the start on iplayer or elsewhere. Details from BBC site:

1597535798768.png

The King's Choice

On 9 April 1940, the German war machine arrives in the city of Oslo. The Norwegian king faces a choice that will change his country forever - whether to submit to the German invasion and install a puppet government answering to Hitler or to enter into a hopeless war of resistance that will cost many lives, as well as Norway's staunchly defended neutrality.

In Norwegian with English subtitles.

BBC Four - The King's Choice

TheManFromWem

Old-Salt
What tv show have I just watched ????
Curry and Chips.( got it on DVD and memory stick)..........
Couple of TerraBytes available when TV becomes unenchanting..................
Ah, the joys of old age and a Military Pension...............
Get some in.!! HaHa..Howard (83)

TamH70

MIA
Quick heads-up for those that may be interested - Amazon Prime has all four seasons of "The Professionals", with Gordon Jackson, Martin Shaw and Lewis Collins, available to watch for free with your subscription. According to the page, they are 18+ and thus should be free of the censorship that makes them suitable for afternoon viewing on 't telly.

Also included on the deal is the controversial episode, "The Klansmen", which has been virtually banned on UK network telly since it came out.

I'm going to watch the first episode and see if it really has been de-emasculated.

ETA:

Seems to be legit - one of the villunz gets shot in the shoulder and the blood goes spurting out everywhere. I don't recall that bit being on the ITV4 showing of the episode.

Last edited:
Quick heads-up for those that may be interested - Amazon Prime has all four seasons of "The Professionals", with Gordon Jackson, Martin Shaw and Lewis Collins, available to watch for free with your subscription. According to the page, they are 18+ and thus should be free of the censorship that makes them suitable for afternoon viewing on 't telly.

Also included on the deal is the controversial episode, "The Klansmen", which has been virtually banned on UK network telly since it came out.

I'm going to watch the first episode and see if it really has been de-emasculated.

ETA:

Seems to be legit - one of the villunz gets shot in the shoulder and the blood goes spurting out everywhere. I don't recall that bit being on the ITV4 showing of the episode.
I’ve been waiting to see ‘The Klansmen’ for 40yrs.
I wasn’t going to buy the box set just for that.

Cheers for the gen. I’ll have a watch.

TamH70

MIA
I’ve been waiting to see ‘The Klansmen’ for 40yrs.
I wasn’t going to buy the box set just for that.

Cheers for the gen. I’ll have a watch.
I just had a click on the episode's radio button on the player and yeah, it comes up and plays.

Bit of a result.

As the TV is pretty crap at the moment this sticks out like a pork pie at a bar mitzvah.

Lovecraft Country - 9pm tonight on Sky Atlantic. Pick of the Week in the Times.

IMG_3081.JPG

Got a very good review on the radio just now with comparisons to GOT.

Good review on Den Of Geek as well:

Deliciously dark and wonderfully twisted, Lovecraft Country is a smorgasbord of horror tropes. Each episode progresses the overarching narrative while still offering a monster-of-the-week-type feel. This allows for different horror mechanics to be put into play, which keeps the audience from ever being able to expect what’s next, let alone prepare for it.
Each scare is played to great effect. Directors masterfully create an undercurrent of discomfort for the audience, a palpable tension crafted with fantastic aesthetic and audio design, that carries throughout every episode. This is perhaps the closest a show comes to synthesizing what it feels like to be constantly vigilant and hyper aware as a Black person moving through everyday life. That fraught tone is regularly rewarded with satisfying scenes of genuine horror, which deepen the feelings of unease.
What keeps the series grounded amidst the monsters and magic are incredible, layered performances by a stellar cast. Every character is imbued with a strength and vulnerability unique to them, and the actors bring those dichotomies to life with authenticity and nuance.

I will bung it on series link.

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
I watched the first four episodes of "The Professionals" on the afore-mentioned Amazon Prime. The picture quality is stunning compared to the muddy visuals you get on council telly, they seem to be relatively unmolested when it comes to censorship of the often violent imagery, and the audio is punchy throughout.

All that would be worthless without the show itself being great, and, well, it is. The casting was superb, the scripting by the creator Brian Clemens almost faultless and the acting is done by people who took their roles seriously, even in the more minor parts.

It has become a cliche to say that they don't make them like what they used to do in telly drama - but things become cliche because they are too true, too often, and people notice.

Not sure if this has been covered but I only saw it last night.

"The Battle Of Britain: 3 Days That Saved The Nation."

Dan Snow and Kate Humble covering pretty much what it says on the tin.

Nothing particularly new but some very personal stories added to it.

Probably available on catch up. If not it's online at: The Battle of Britain: 3 Days that Saved the Nation - Channel 5

I imagine Kate Humble in a Spitfire is a double whammy for many on here.

Works for me.

Latest Threads