What TV show have you just watched

Ozark (S1)
Can anyone tell me what the appeal is? I'm up to episode 5 or 6 and I just don't get it. All the characters are hateful and Jason Bateman's character is a vacuum. He shows no emotion of any kind and I just can't invest in characters I don't care about. The only bright spot is the bartender at the Blue Cat, who would get it all day, every day. I have continued to watch in the vain hope that Del catches up with them and skins them all.
I've seen all three series and think it's excellent. The characters develop with each episode and especially took a liking to Ruthy, the dirty minx.
Where are you up to in the story so I don't give anything away?

Secret Weapon of the Confederacy on Amazon Prime. Submarine warfare Civil War style. Eight men crammed into a man-powered sub not much bigger than a C130 drop tank. Mental... and bloody brave. Fascinating stuff.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
I've seen all three series and think it's excellent. The characters develop with each episode and especially took a liking to Ruthy, the dirty minx.
Where are you up to in the story so I don't give anything away?
I'm up to the point where Jason Bateman is driving home and he sees a cross installed on his aborted church.

Oh and as for Ruth, totally agree. She is a bright spot in the show.

I'm up to the point where Jason Bateman is driving home and he sees a cross installed on his aborted church.

Oh and as for Ruth, totally agree. She is a bright spot in the show.
You're probably at the stage of wanting to slap the two sulky kids, I know they were irritating. I don't want to give too much away but the characters will change, some will 'go' unexpectedly and the new ones twist the story all over the place. Ruth becomes a key character. Season 3 finished during lockdown and like the end of the other two series, I was left thinking, WTF happens next, which is I suppose how all good TV should be.
There is a different plot each series but I'll say no more except I can't wait for the next series, if tv starts filming ever again and we're not all dead with Chinese Flu.

Oily101

Clanker
Season 3 of Norsemen on 'Flix - the comedy antidote to Vikings. Jarl Varg seems to have grown his hands back - I'm sure he lost them in Season 2...?

The cast is Norwegian but perform a script in English, not dubbed. Then apparently they film it again in Norwegian, not dubbed, for the domestic audience.
Season 3 is the prequel to season 1
All arse about face and season 3 is about as funny as a bellyache.
It's almost as if they had changed writers between series.
Trond Fausa Aurvåg as Rufus, an enslaved actor from Rome was really funny and held it together, but sadly he went back to Rome at the end of season 2.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Currently watching Reef Break at the moment, it doesn't exactly challenge the IQ in any way shape or form, but it does serve as a vehicle for the cleavage of it's star, Poppy Montgomery.
1596048658737.png

Ritch

LE
I'm currently 80% of the way through Chris Terrill's documentary Commando: On The Front Line following 924 troop from arrival at Lympstone to deployment in Afghanistan.

I recently bought this on DVD as I missed several episodes when it was first on TV. I find it a great watch apart from seeing Recruit Terry John pulling every face under the sun.

A bit sobering too when you remember that a couple of the lads died on operations and the Troop CO, Lt. Orlando Rogers died a few years later in a plane crash.

NSP

LE
Rake (Netflix). Australian legal drama about a boozing, coke-snorting, cuckolding washed-up barrister that is quite funny with it. Billed as "teen" but I wouldn't show it to any teens in my charge - it's got a case involving a couple filming themselves having a threesome. With their Rottweiler...

Also murder, race riots, foul language. Lots and lots of foul language...!

Last edited:

syrup

LE
New series started on Sky Atlantic last night, Penny Dreadful - City Of Angels.

Set in Los Angeles in 1938 it seems to have everything in it. Gruesome murders, angels of death. Nazis from the Bund, swearing, racism, the supernatural.

Obviously the Nazi is played by a Brit.

I will reserve judgement for the time being but is is watchable.

The original Penny Dreadful is half decent also on Sky featuring a blink and you'll miss it naked Billie Piper which may interest a few people

Our Yorkshire Farm - season 3, Ep 3

ITV have nailed this, a real feelgood programme that makes you want to hark back to when life was simpler. Ok it's a romaticised vision of an already bucolic life, but it makes oi smile. The kids are the stars of the show. Definitely.

Last edited:
This doesn't seem to have been mentioned.

The Plot Against America (was on Sky Atlantic. Hopefully on catch-up).

I binged the first three episodes last night. I am actually keen to watch the final three (as opposed to the usual "I suppose I had better watch it to see how it finishes").

Very well made. Excellent actors. Based on the Philip Roth book of the same name and well transferred to TV.

I can't improve on the Wiki entry:

The miniseries has received critical acclaim. On Rotten Tomatoes, it has an 87% "certified fresh" rating with an average score of 8.26 out of 10 based on 70 reviews. The website's critical consensus is, "A cautionary tale that hits close to home, The Plot Against America's handsomely realized revisionist history is disturbingly relevant, making it difficult, but essential viewing." On Metacritic, it has a score of 81 out of 100 based on 35 reviews, indicating "universal acclaim".

Meghan O'Keefe of Decider wrote that it "is a bleak watch, but full of spectacular performances and masterful craftsmanship."Darren Franich of Entertainment Weekly stated that "Simon and Burns craft their story with remarkable texture" and that "the final hour is one of the most breathtakingly tense episodes of television I've ever seen, carrying you on a dark journey through a country on fire."

The original Penny Dreadful is half decent also on Sky featuring a blink and you'll miss it naked Billie Piper which may interest a few people
Also featured Eva Green, so another plus. I loved the original series, this one is a pale shadow.

Just watched Part 3 of Once Upon a Time in Iraq. Wow. The embedded journalist and photographer with the US Marines in Fallujah came across as genuine and the photographer in particular was full of remorse for insisting on getting a photograph that resulted in the death of a Marine. The fact he was able to build a relationship with the dead Marine’s family in later years made it even more powerful.
The back story of the Iraqi family who suffered so much during the battle of Fallajuh was also incredibly powerful. Great TV. Dusty in here.

Inside Man on Prime.

A few series of short documentaries from Morgan Spurlock the guy who did the rather excellent Supersize Me.

I've only seen a few so far but I like his style, he works at the places he's documenting and has a non-aggressive manner. He just let's the person or place be themselves. It doesn't set out to shock or change your perspective but sets it out in an even handed, entertaining way.

I found the one about US gun laws very interesting.

Yes, 'Norsemen'. The best thing I've seen on the box for ages.

I foolishly wondered why all the newspaper critics had creamed they y-fronts over dat 'Wire' thang and all that shit, an wen an bought the series, man. Hey, Niga, got some WMD? We all know what one or two of our Members of Parliament ideolise themselve as; sho' we all do. A bit of c'rruption here, a bit of c'ruption there - hey, man, it's cool. An' it's black, man; niga territory.

And then I got sick of the culture and threw out the remaining DVDs.

But 'Norsemen' is good. I really like the accents.

I'm currently watching Battlestar Galactica, the new version. For me, I find it just perfect in comparison to the awful Sci-Fi there has been recently.

For instance I hated the recent Star Wars other than Rogue One, I liked Star Trek Discovery S1 lost interest in S2. Found Picard boring, Dr Who just dire, etc etc.

Anyway, BG features genocide, rape, torture, heroism, male and female characters equal without being woke, and every season has some stand out episodes.

Start with the two part miniseries and then go from there or get this.

I'm currently watching Battlestar Galactica, the new version. For me, I find it just perfect in comparison to the awful Sci-Fi there has been recently.

For instance I hated the recent Star Wars other than Rogue One, I liked Star Trek Discovery S1 lost interest in S2. Found Picard boring, Dr Who just dire, etc etc.

Anyway, BG features genocide, rape, torture, heroism, male and female characters equal without being woke, and every season has some stand out episodes.

Start with the two part miniseries and then go from there or get this.

The first three series are excellent, I liked it very much even after Starbuck gets arty.
Razor was superb

exspy

LE
The first three series are excellent, I liked it very much even after Starbuck gets arty.
Razor was superb
I watched the series years ago when, due to an unfortunate cash flow situation, our cable was cut-off and I was forced to watch television by signing out DVD's from the neighbourhood library. (It wasn't so bad, they had Art School Confidential so I got to see Sophie Myles naked, but I digress.)

I watched up to the episode where about a half-dozen of the crew members thought they might really be Cylons, and they all went to an empty hangar to see who the Cylons really were (if you're a fan you'll understand what I'm talking about). Never watched an episode after that. I signed up with a different cable company..

Anyone know who were Cylons and who weren't?

Latest Threads