What TV show have you just watched

I keep meaning to catch up with Once Upon a Time in Iraq but haven’t found the time as yet.

Caught the last 15 mins of tonight’s episode which looks as it will indeed be worthwhile watching even though from what I saw it would be an overall negative view of the war, no surprise there. The segment I caught had talking heads one of whom was an ex US colonel who had a reputation for running an aggressive outfit but the end result was turning many Iraqis against them but was stuck in the bind of ‘what else did you expect when you send that outfit in’. And he seemed pained when looking back on what happened.
The USMC Recon marine was in generation kill, he played himself.

I keep meaning to catch up with Once Upon a Time in Iraq but haven’t found the time as yet.

Caught the last 15 mins of tonight’s episode which looks as it will indeed be worthwhile watching even though from what I saw it would be an overall negative view of the war, no surprise there. The segment I caught had talking heads one of whom was an ex US colonel who had a reputation for running an aggressive outfit but the end result was turning many Iraqis against them but was stuck in the bind of ‘what else did you expect when you send that outfit in’. And he seemed pained when looking back on what happened.
Just watched episode 2. The American Colonel - Sassaman, actually started off the post invasion period as an advocate of rebuilding the country, with the help of the Iraqis themselves. He was filmed conducting extensive ‘hearts and minds’ gatherings with the local movers and shakers. What changed him completely was when Paul Bremer (no doubt following the orders of Washington) gave the order to dismantle the Iraqi Army and at the same time ostracising all members of the Ba’ath Party. Thereby immediately creating an armed, hostile insurgency Army of almost half a million pissed off Iraqis. Sassaman’s Battalion was slap bang in the middle of the Sunni triangle and bore the brunt as the insurgency took off. The early loss of one of his Staff Sergeants to an IED transformed him into the hardened (and probably on the verge of insane) Commander he became by the end of his year long tour.
It was fascinating to see the transformation of a once highly respected, very capable officer, destined for high rank and a long career, into the shell of the man he is today.
It may well have an American bias to this series, but wow, it’s powerful stuff. As for the Politicians who send good men and woman into these situations, they deserve our utmost contempt. Mission accomplished my arse. :x

Just watched episode 2. The American Colonel - Sassaman, actually started off the post invasion period as an advocate of rebuilding the country, with the help of the Iraqis themselves. He was filmed conducting extensive ‘hearts and minds’ gatherings with the local movers and shakers. What changed him completely was when Paul Bremer (no doubt following the orders of Washington) gave the order to dismantle the Iraqi Army and at the same time ostracising all members of the Ba’ath Party. Thereby immediately creating an armed, hostile insurgency Army of almost half a million pissed off Iraqis. Sassaman’s Battalion was slap bang in the middle of the Sunni triangle and bore the brunt as the insurgency took off. The early loss of one of his Staff Sergeants to an IED transformed him into the hardened (and probably on the verge of insane) Commander he became by the end of his year long tour.
It was fascinating to see the transformation of a once highly respected, very capable officer, destined for high rank and a long career, into the shell of the man he is today.
It may well have an American bias to this series, but wow, it’s powerful stuff. As for the Politicians who send good men and woman into these situations, they deserve our utmost contempt. Mission accomplished my arse. :x
I felt exactly that at the end of the recent excellent documentary series on Vietnam. What really got to me was that they interviewed veterans from both sides and they said exactly the same things about the war. As you say, arrseholes on both sides sending good people out to kill each other.

Thanks for the background. Not got round to watching it yet, must find some time when t’otha half is shopping or something then I can watch it without the usual grumbles of ‘not about war/Iraq/military stuff again?’

NSP

LE
Warrior Nun on 'Flix. Blimey! Sweary, fighty, gory. Epic...

without the usual grumbles of ‘not about war/Iraq/military stuff again?’

Thank fcuk, I'm not the only one who gets an earole full of grief,... her.."What's on the box love"...Me... "just a training film" which can be:- Any john Wayne war film, any old B&W war film, any documentary on conflicts, ships planes or tanks, from the Boer war to the "Troubles" ....all good interesting stuff.

Thank fcuk, I'm not the only one who gets an earole full of grief,... her.."What's on the box love"...Me... "just a training film" which can be:- Any john Wayne war film, any old B&W war film, any documentary on conflicts, ships planes or tanks, from the Boer war to the "Troubles" ....all good interesting stuff.
I fixed that - I bought her another TV.

I know exactly what you mean. Especially when a good black and white war film is on Moving Pictures tv and she comes out with '....but you've seen this 10 times already'.

Yeah so.

I guess I do have to compromise and switch over sometimes.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Alice is doing her wild swimming again on four.

she can have my babies whenever she wants and I won't complain too much.

TamH70

MIA
Currently watching "Traffic Cops", and again I am amazed at the stupidity of some of the idiots that the titular cops have to deal with.

Currently watching "Traffic Cops", and again I am amazed at the stupidity of some of the idiots that the titular cops have to deal with.

That's what makes good TV, twats, knobs and gobby mongs. have you noticed that 99% of the prats stopped, arrest, tazer, are all young idiots, not one OAP ( apart from one old fart going the wrong way on a motorway) or respectable business man.....strange that!

Just finished watching an episode of " Rumpole of the Bailey " ... made in the age of quality TV comedy .

ETA .... enjoyed so much ordered a DVD Box Set this morning .

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
That's what makes good TV, twats, knobs and gobby mongs. have you noticed that 99% of the prats stopped, arrest, tazer, are all young idiots, not one OAP ( apart from one old fart going the wrong way on a motorway) or respectable business man.....strange that!
To be fair one of the clients of the Black Rats tonight managed to crash inside the confines of a motorway petrol station, ending up jammed on the kerb of the exit slip road, and she wouldn't see twenty again judging by the looks of her. And she was up to her eyeballs in crack cocaine as well. Her and her male partner were involved in nicking stuff from a shop and both of them had good jobs and such.

To be fair one of the clients of the Black Rats tonight managed to crash inside the confines of a motorway petrol station, ending up jammed on the kerb of the exit slip road, and she wouldn't see twenty again judging by the looks of her. And she was up to her eyeballs in crack cocaine as well. Her and her male partner were involved in nicking stuff from a shop and both of them had good jobs and such.

I guess you're right, it takes allsorts. It makes you wonder though, what is going through their minds, thinking that they will get away with it, ....there but for the grace of god go I......

TamH70

MIA
I guess you're right, it takes allsorts. It makes you wonder though, what is going through their minds, thinking that they will get away with it, ....there but for the grace of god go I......
I think I'm the only male member of my family not to have a run with traffic cops in my lifetime while in charge of a motor vehicle. Mainly because I don't have any sort of motor vehicle licence. I'm sticking with that - it's saved me a fortune in legal fees.

endure

GCM
Just started re-watching The Americans on Amazon Prime - all 6 series. All about Soviet illegals living in the US. Probably one of the best programmes on Prime.

Last edited:

Latest Threads