What TV show have you just watched

The Morning Show (Apple +):
Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon produce this show as well as star in it. A TV anchor for a morning news show (Steve Carell) is accused of being a sexual predator and is unceremoniously dumped by the network. His on-screen partner Aniston (think of them as America's answer to Holly Willoughby and Philip Schofield) questions everything she knows and to add insult to injury, she finds out that the network was not going to renew her contract before Carell got fired. Add to this, a fiery small-town reporter (Reese Witherspoon) has an interview go viral, making the network execs sit up and notice.

It shouldn't work, but it does. I'm used to Steve Carell's genius by now and this is by far the best thing Aniston's done. The writing is sharper than a wickedly sharp guava and the three main characters are ably supported by a great cast of sleazy execs alongside a cameo by Martin Short that makes your skin want to crawl off your muscles. Highly recommended.
I've watched the series up to the next to last episode, but even though I did that 4 months ago I have yet to watch the final episode as the penultimate episode killed my interest in the series.

Finally caught up with the alst part of the Peter Barton series 'The Somme from Both Sides of the Wire' last night on PBS America. He is very interesting and well informed and does not try to push himself as the centre of attention, unlike Dan 'look at me, look at me' Snow. For train buffs, The Worlds Most Attractive Rail Journeys' on Channel 5 on Friday evenings has been consistently excellent. No Portillo or Baldrick preening, just a Bill Nighy commentary in the background.

Just finished the Jamaica episode of Portillo's Empire odyssey. Essentially: slavery, slavery, slavery, blah blah, ganja, white man bad etc. WTF? Though, to be fair, I was unaware of the origins of (or the reasoning behind) Rastafarianism. Apparently it's not just a drug-soaked cop out for wasters... apparently... even if it looks exactly like that.

Re. slavery. 'We' supposedly relocated 'MILLIONS' from west Africa to the plantations... according to some (black) bloke. We must've had some serious maritime sealift capability?

Just finished the Jamaica episode of Portillo's Empire odyssey. Essentially: slavery, slavery, slavery, blah blah, ganja, white man bad etc. WTF? Though, to be fair, I was unaware of the origins of (or the reasoning behind) Rastafarianism. Apparently it's not just a drug-soaked cop out for wasters... apparently... even if it looks exactly like that.

Re. slavery. 'We' supposedly relocated 'MILLIONS' from west Africa to the plantations... according to some (black) bloke. We must've had some serious maritime sealift capability?
Africans knew all about slavery long before they started selling their own people to Europeans.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:
The problem with agenda-driven revisionist history is that it has a nasty habit of becoming fact. There will be a holocaust day for slavery before long... if there isn't one already?

Decent historical research indiates that about 12 million Africans were transported to the Americas. Most of them were taken to S America (by Spanish and Portuguese slavers).

The British transported about 2.6 million, mostly to the West Indies and N America.

These numbers (at least the British ones) are not wild guesses or wet fingers in the air exercises.

Virtually all the bills of lading are recorded and available in the UK. These are very specific and show (for example) manufactured goods and food from Britain to Africa (guns, booze, food etc); slaves to the Americas (300-400 per ship was common); cotton, tobacco, rum, sugar back to the UK.

Taking the lower figure of 300/ship that is less than 9000 trips. Over several centuries.

A trivial task for the largest merchant fleet in history.

And there was illegal slaving (whatever that was).

Karamoja

War Hero
Decent historical research indiates that about 12 million Africans were transported to the Americas. Most of them were taken to S America (by Spanish and Portuguese slavers).

The British transported about 2.6 million, mostly to the West Indies and N America.

These numbers (at least the British ones) are not wild guesses or wet fingers in the air exercises.

Virtually all the bills of lading are recorded and available in the UK. These are very specific and show (for example) manufactured goods and food from Britain to Africa (guns, booze, food etc); slaves to the Americas (300-400 per ship was common); cotton, tobacco, rum, sugar back to the UK.

Taking the lower figure of 300/ship that is less than 9000 trips. Over several centuries.

A trivial task for the largest merchant fleet in history.

And there was illegal slaving (whatever that was).
I can never understand why, when it comes to blaming someone for slavery, that the Arabs seem to get off scot free. For over a thousand years they enslaved millions of Africans and treated them with the utmost cruelty. The women kept as sex slaves and the men were invariably castrated. The lack of their descendants in the Middle-East is striking. They also took hundreds of thousands of slaves from Europe. Their predation was only stopped in the 19th century by guess who? Why the nasty British! In fact I believe it carried on in places such as Oman well into the 20th century.

I can never understand why, when it comes to blaming someone for slavery, that the Arabs seem to get off scot free. For over a thousand years they enslaved millions of Africans and treated them with the utmost cruelty. The women kept as sex slaves and the men were invariably castrated. The lack of their descendants in the Middle-East is striking. They also took hundreds of thousands of slaves from Europe. Their predation was only stopped in the 19th century by guess who? Why the nasty British! In fact I believe it carried on in places such as Oman well into the 20th century.
From my time in Oman (75 - 77) descendants of slaves were quite visible and often had al-'abd as part of their name. I was told that freed slaves held senior administrative positions in the palaces in Muscat and Salalah. I can't remember when slavery was abolished in Oman, but apparently in Muscat there was a scheme whereby if an escaped slave made it over the walls and into the grounds of the British Embassy he could claim his freedom (manumission).

E2A: just found this which adds relevant info:

I'm now two episodes into Series 3 of The Bridge and enjoying it.

ches

LE
An absolutely superb book that I picked up from a second hand stall at Tankfest for £1 a couple of years ago. Reading up on the author, although he had a career as a screenwriter after the war you feel that his life effectively ended in 1945. Nothing could compare with the work he did in his 20s. He was smitten by Violette Szabo to whom he gave that famous poem (which he had written for someone else). And he was not impressed with the decision to hand SOEs files over to C at SIS after the war ended, stating:

"But that's like burying Hitler in Westminster Abbey. "

Note, edited because Arse seems to have deleted everything that I posted after Violette Szabo's poem.
Slight thread drift.....I've read my copy about 5 times over the years & its always a book in pride of place in my much reduced library. A fantastic story about an incredible man. I have loved the Szabo poem since I heard it as a kid in the film, so much so that I read it to my wife in my speech at our wedding.
Imagine my surprise when my missus then told me on our honeymoon that during her time as a theatre manager darn in that there Larndan town, she met Mr Marks in the 90s when he came as one of a group of VIPs to a show he was involved with.

Space Force on Netflix. It's actually pretty funny.

I quite liked a bit in Episode 2 where the Belgian guy gets walloped with a snarky Brexit jibe by Carrell's character.
Agreed - and not as over-the-top silly as I thought it might be. Also, unlike a lot of things which are prohibitively long, at only 30 minutes you can slip a cheeky one in between whatever other procrastination activities you may have taken up since 'WFH'

In my very limited experience of trying to sell IT to the BBC, Twenty Twelve (and the follow up series W1A) were more or less fly on the wall doccos.

If I ever needed evidence that meetings were a way to avoid decisions then they were text book.

Which kindled the memory of being in the ITN news building trying to flog IT to one of the companies based there (Might have been Ch 4 news - I forget). I said to the IT Director that Drop The Dead Donkey was one of my favourite comedy programmes. He looked at me deadpan and said "Comedy? Everyone in this building think it's a documentary".
I Spent too much of my life living that pointless life in Gov IT environments where I measured a good week by not thrusting a pencil in to some under performing managers forehead. I tend to come out in hives, or grind my teeth because of accuracies in the little I’ve seen of those programs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LARD

LE
Series 4 of Cardinal in BBC2. Brilliant and atmospheric. The female cop is rather attractive too.

Just started watching series 6 of Bosch which for me is probably the best tv series of recent years. I have posted on this before but its worth repeating. It has the most intelligent of scripts, all the characters are well developed as the series progresses, there are multiple story lines, the lead, played by Titus Welliver, has a coherent backstory and shades of darkness to his character and the production values are tip top. Well worth watching.

BigT

LE
I see Portillo has become a hard lefty - I watched the first episode of his Empire series on India and it seemed as though they'd looked for anyone with a grudge against Britain (not hard in India, grant you) to slang us off and tell us what a disaster it was having the British there for 150 years. I haven't watched the following two episodes (West Indies and Southern Africa) but from the trailers it looks like much more of the same. Not what I'd generally expect from Channel 5, more the sort of fare that the BBC or Channel 4 revel in.
Funnily there are some of the older generation who having gone through independence actually miss us being in charge particularly when it comes to infrastructure like the crumbling railway system. There was an old bloke on early hours Radio 5 a few months back saying how flood damage to rail lines was repaired as soon as the water level dropped but now lines can be out of use for months.

Space Force on Netflix.
A sitcom about an American bid to militarise space. I'm not a fan of US sitcoms overall and this one is of the mould but has a bit more to it.

The first episode seemed a bit too spoofy, I almost expected Lloyd Bridges and Leslie Nielsen to show up. But I stuck with it and it works ok with some laugh out loud moments. The Senate hearing is especially good with some obvious political nods to the senators but no direct nods to Trump, you only know of POTUS by that very acronym. They've kept partisan politics out of it and aren't trying to make a socially relevant statement.

Steve Carrell gives a reigned in performance as the Commander, but the show belongs to John Malkovich as his chief science advisor. Damn that man can act, he adds little nuances and delivers his lines in a long suffering, how the hell are you in charge way that are hysterical.

It's not perfect and theres a few US sitcom moments, some cliched characters but no whacky ones.
Worth a watch but dont judge it by the first episode.

Alamo

LE
Friday Night Dinner. Comedy on Netflix about a Jewish family that gathers for dinner every ... well, you get the idea. The Jewish bit isn’t really relevant it’s just the setting. Stars Simon Bird from The Inbetweeners. Really funny.

dan_brown

War Hero
Friday Night Dinner. Comedy on Netflix about a Jewish family that gathers for dinner every ... well, you get the idea. The Jewish bit isn’t really relevant it’s just the setting. Stars Simon Bird from The Inbetweeners. Really funny.
Was looking for something to watch with the family after just finishing "Upload" - we're 3 episodes in of S1 (6 seasons) and we're loving this.

TAFKA

Old-Salt
Having spent a fair bit of the 90s in various Middle East locations and seeing how the locals treat Indians, Bangladeshis and Filipinos, I'd say they haven't really stopped slavery.

Latest Threads