What TV show have you just watched

OK, it was on YouTube but originally shown on TV: The Greatest Raid presented by Jeremy Clarkson. Yes, yes, I know, its been mentioned here before and was originally shown yonks ago but I hadn't seen it before.

Some magnificent recollections by those who were there and the production values were up to the standard required by the story. Well worth watching.

Danatanian

Old-Salt
Was cleaning out my film collection yesterday and found an old Clarkson DVD which ha
OK, it was on YouTube but originally shown on TV: The Greatest Raid presented by Jeremy Clarkson. Yes, yes, I know, its been mentioned here before and was originally shown yonks ago but I hadn't seen it before.

Some magnificent recollections by those who were there and the production values were up to the standard required by the story. Well worth watching.
I watched that a few weeks ago, truly amazing stuff. Wish he would make more stuff like that. Also found while cleaning out the DVD cupboard along with his programme about Victoria Cross winners. If you haven't seen that one its also well worth a watch ..

Now I’m not a great fan of Westerns, John Wayne stuffed it for me. Anyhow just watched a Kevin Costner film called “ Open Range”.
It is your normal “ Cattle Baron” shoot em up. But Costners script is pretty good!
Also stars Robert Duval and Michael Gambon. 4 out of 5.

Was cleaning out my film collection yesterday and found an old Clarkson DVD which ha

I watched that a few weeks ago, truly amazing stuff. Wish he would make more stuff like that. Also found while cleaning out the DVD cupboard along with his programme about Victoria Cross winners. If you haven't seen that one its also well worth a watch ..

I've watched both in the last few days and while good there were a couple of niggles in the VC episode. Bill Speakman is described as serving with a battalion of the Black Watch when he earned his VC,when he was in fact Black Watch attached to 1KOSB. Keith Payne is described as rescuing barely trained troops and as it never mentions that they were Montangard tribesmen it could be misunderstood that the Aussies were sending barely trained boys to Vietnam.

Anyway, if you liked the St. Nazaire film, I found a video about the making of the film on YouTube. Particularly good if you want model making tips.

exspy

LE
... just watched a Kevin Costner film called “ Open Range”.

Also stars Robert Duval...
The gunfight at the end of the film with Costner and Duval versus everyone is one of the best choreographed I've ever seen. You can follow all of the action and it all makes sense. No 'aw c'mon now' moments.

The gunfight at the end of the film with Costner and Duval versus everyone is one of the best choreographed I've ever seen. You can follow all of the action and it all makes sense. No 'aw c'mon now' moments.

Completely agree mucker, the end gun fight really showed the inaccuracies of the hand guns of the period!
They even had to reload as well!

Completely agree mucker, the end gun fight really showed the inaccuracies of the hand guns of the period!
They even had to reload as well!
You have lost all credibility with that comment. NO weapon has ever been reloaded. Not in the entire history of film.

I have not watched a cowboy movie since I saw The Wild Bunch at the cinema back in the day (1970/71 ??). Didn't seem to be much point after that. Hollywood seemed to agree and didn't make another cowboy movie for years. Ironic that a film about the demise of the Old Wild West virtually caused the demise of the western movie genre.

I am going to have to watch that Costner movie now.

Last edited:
For those who like myself cannot go out this Bank Holiday a trip down memory lane with the Two Ronnies and two superb short episodes with old fashioned Seaside Postcard smutty humour .... and some nice eye candy ....

Oops

War Hero
You can put it in the 'Scouser' thread..
It fits....

ITV's Little Boy Blue ..
repeated for the third time at present, it still makes the hairs stand up..

The depiction of the Scummy Scally Sh*te that perpetrated and those who helped pervert the Course of Justice is scarily close to the (no)mark underclass that inhabit the region.
As well as reflecting the pressures of living in a Community where 'doing the right thing' gets you labelled a Grass.
Stephen Graham's depiction 'Ned' Kelly who's dogged determination to not only round up the whole crew but then go after their parents, is only topped by the portrayal of every parents worst nightmare....
The woman ACC actress could be the twin of the actual Copper, who demoted him then f*cked off to the Met??
Steve Jones was night manager at our local Tesco's, as gentle a man as portrayed on screen....

Modern drama at its finest....

Eta.
The scum have been in and out since..
Drug running to Dundee I seem to remember rings a bell, but witness intimidation got em off....
One of em's been shot too, shame..
There's plenty more like em.

(There's infinitely more like the Jones' though)

You can put it in the 'Scouser' thread..
It fits....

ITV's Little Boy Blue ..
repeated for the third time at present, it still makes the hairs stand up..

The depiction of the Scummy Scally Sh*te that perpetrated and those who helped pervert the Course of Justice is scarily close to the (no)mark underclass that inhabit the region.
As well as reflecting the pressures of living in a Community where 'doing the right thing' gets you labelled a Grass.
Stephen Graham's depiction 'Ned' Kelly who's dogged determination to not only round up the whole crew but then go after their parents, is only topped by the portrayal of every parents worst nightmare....
The woman ACC actress could be the twin of the actual Copper, who demoted him then f*cked off to the Met??
Steve Jones was night manager at our local Tesco's, as gentle a man as portrayed on screen....

Modern drama at its finest....

Eta.
The scum have been in and out since..
Drug running to Dundee I seem to remember rings a bell, but witness intimidation got em off....
One of em's been shot too, shame..
There's plenty more like em.

(There's infinitely more like the Jones' though)
Yup, watched it with the current mrs_mush the last two nights. At one point she turns to me and asks "it it really that bad in Liverpool?"
"Parts of it, yes" I said, "parts of it are even worse"
"Not a good advert for Liverpool is it" she commented, "not at all like the lovable rogues from Bread and Brookside then"

ches

LE
Yup, watched it with the current mrs_mush the last two nights. At one point she turns to me and asks "it it really that bad in Liverpool?"
"Not a good advert for Liverpool is it" she commented, "not at all like the lovable rogues from Bread and Brookside then"
No different that any other city in the UK then.

Babylon Berlin S3. Have loved the previous 2. This is too long by about 3 episodes. But still bloody good for all that. The political background leading up to the 29 crash is very well done. The continued back story from S2 & the murder of the bloke & his daughter may well be the key to another series.
The main story to this series isn't that good tbh. Loads of holes in it but its still well done. The cast of characters as good as ever.

Upload. Prime series. Future ppl can upload digital versions of themselves to various 'locations'. Subject to paying the bills, you can 'live' in cyberspace for eternity. Pretty good stuff, some very very nice eye candy, a reasonably (if not predictable) storyline & some funny interplays. Worth a watch.

Earth From Space on BBC 4/iplayer/download is pretty impressive.

Only seen one episode but it was superb. I think there are four in total.

The schtick is to look at something that is really only visible or recognisable from space and then drill down to ground level explanations of the wildlife.

As an example they look at satellite photos of some open area in the jungle/forest of Africa with tracks running from it. Turns out to be called locally as the "Elephant Village" where the big buggers have trampled down the thick forest around a stream. They then go there to suck various nutrients out of the water (stuff they don't get in their diets). I didn't even know elephants lived in the forest (well, it's not immediately obvious that the huge beasts live in dense forest, is it?).

The time lapse satellite photography of how a meandering river moves and undulates over thirty years will please anybody who had to draw oxbow lakes for geography homework.

Looks good in 55" HD as well.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
That didn’t take long. Bosch all six series watched and thoroughly enjoyed and not a washing machine, dishwasher or oven was seen or reported on.

For those who don’t know it’s about Harry Bosch an LAPD murder detective.
Its on Amazon and if you haven’t do yourself a favour watch it.

No different that any other city in the UK then.
Probably true. Having lived in a fair bit of England over the years, I'd say there's a line that could be drawn from the Wash to The Severn. Above that line, I'd say your argument applies pretty much universally and it would also apply to many towns too. Below that line, far less so - excluding London of course.

Oops

War Hero
Bread had many elements of truth to it, but poorly portrayed.
Brookside, I've never once watched, but a scouse mate reckons it's more 'Cheshire'.

The 'ting' about LBB is how creepily accurate the actors portray the Scum...
Time moves on though, its Ket wigs instead of shaven heads nowadays..
The black/grey trackys and north face hoody still prevail, as do the bikes/ scramblers, and dogs.
We're a few miles out, but still in range on nice sunny days...
They stick out like sore thumbs..
I want to keep my SC/FAC but should I ever be diagnosed with a terminal illness, I wonder whether I'd help alleviate some of Societys Ills before I shuffle off this Mortal Coil, or would that make me as bad as them?
Eta.
Tell mrs_ mush, that being a father of several late teenage/ early 20's good looking daughters , I feel far happier when they go into Liverpool City Centre for a night on the town, rather than a drink in the 'posher' provincial towns hereabouts....
A view shared by the Late Duke of Westminster... he forbade his daughters to party in Chester... Liverpool City Centre is a very safe place ( contrary to popular belief) Liverpool University , the 'real' one , not JM , is still a massive attraction to medical undergraduates in particular.

Murderous scum are scum, wheresoever they happen to live!

Following reviews on here (a trusted source), I've just watched episode one of Little Boy Blue, and can confirm the quality of the drama. Being Welsh/English, (or English/Welsh) I'm in need of subtitles though to cut the scouse. Good telly.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

'The Other Side of Dunkirk' on BBC2 - exposing some of the myths about 'British betrayal' and 'French cowardice', with some moving interviews with British, French and German veterans, and some spiffing Pathe newsreel clips and commentary.

'The Other Side of Dunkirk' on BBC2 - exposing some of the myths about 'British betrayal' and 'French cowardice', with some moving interviews with British, French and German veterans, and some spiffing Pathe newsreel clips and commentary.
Thanks for that and after such a positive Post I shall now watch via IPlayer .

Latest Threads