What TV show have you just watched

Just finished watching Rich Hall's first BBC4 documentary, "Rich Hall's How the West Was Lost", covering how the Americans tell each other lies about their Western past - from near the end of the Frontier period itself up until near when the show was filmed, from before film was even invented and just how popular those lies were (to the extent that I'm sure the first film any of us saw had a fair chance of being a Western-themed one). I can understand why the Beeb kept hiring him to do another documentary of the same sort of length on what looks like an annual basis ever since - he's just that damned good at his job.

BTW, if you ever want to shut up a hipster neck-beard bedecked feckwit who thinks that Sergio Leone was the best director of Western films,(and if you look online this sort of feckwit is easy to find) gut-punch him, (or her, let's not be biased), tie him or her to a chair and make him or her watch his excoriation of the over-rated Italian's work that occurs about three-quarters of the way through the film, as it is a thing of terrible beauty.
Rich Hall has done a few documentaries for the UK market (his one about Texas and Texans is brilliant). He gets the British senseof humour and is one of the few American comedians who crosses the pond well IMHO.

Enjoy.

TamH70

MIA
Rich Hall has done a few documentaries for the UK market (his one about Texas and Texans is brilliant). He gets the British sense of humour and is one of the few American comedians who crosses the pond well IMHO.

Enjoy.
I already have that one on my hard-drive - in fact, the only one I'm missing of the "Rich Hall's" documentaries is the one he did on country music, "Rich Hall's Countrier than You." but thanks anyway - besides there're bound to be people who haven't watched it yet.

I like Rich Hall. He must be attuned to British humour and like a good joke as he married a Scouser.

Seen most of his shows. Sadly they seem to be spread all over the schedules like a madwomans poo.
  • Rich Hall's How the West Was Lost (first broadcast June 2008)[9]
  • Rich Hall's The Dirty South (October 2010)[10]
  • Rich Hall's Continental Drifters (November 2011)[12]
  • Rich Hall's Inventing the Indian (October 2012)[13]
  • Rich Hall's You Can Go To Hell, I'm Going To Texas (June 2013)[14]
  • Rich Hall's California Stars (July 2014)[15]
  • Rich Hall's Presidential Grudge Match (November 2016)[16]
  • Rich Hall's Countrier Than You (March 2017)[17]
  • Rich Hall's Working for the American Dream (July 2018)[18]
  • Rich Hall's Red Menace (November 2019)[19]

I watched series 1 of Save Me on sky first time it was on. Did a final episode refresh before piling into Series 2 last week. Bloody brilliant. Alongside Mark Strong, Lennie James is a fine UK actor. Great stuff.
Watched S1 over the past two nights, excellent.
S2 this weekend.

Great British Railway Journeys with Portillo.

WTAF is that jacket he is wearing.

I do enjoy his soothing presentation skills.

1586433483521.png

It's called Digicamp

Can only be worn by well dressed friends of Dorothy

Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness.

I'm not entirely sure how to describe it or even if it was goo. It was certainly interesting and disturbing.
just finished watching this. Excellent documentary, you’d have to go a long way to find a more odious bunch of charlatans across the board. Don’t think Joe Exotic was any more guilty than any of the others involved from any of the parks...

TamH70

MIA
Guess what I just found on iPlayer. A miracle has occurred upon us, and it's not even Easter Monday yet: A Rich Hall documentary!

Get it while it's hot.

Now to find a way of D/L'ing something I've already paid for...

ETA - got it.

Last edited:

PFGEN

GCM
I've been watching the rerun of Killing Eve having missed it first time round. Mixed feelings, on one side I keep watching as I find the story compelling and I like the inventive ways Villanelle has for offing her targets. In addition seeing Jodie Comer disrobing every now and again might also have something to do with it.

On the other hand would she just not get on with it and kill Eve. I can't take much more of Eve looking like a damn goldfish any time something surprising happens (and please include the doofus of a husband). As somebody associated with MI5 she seems to have a naivety that is off the scale. Maybe that's why people like it so much. In my case I see it as an improbable way to rig circumstances to extend the plot.

just finished watching this. Excellent documentary, you’d have to go a long way to find a more odious bunch of charlatans across the board. Don’t think Joe Exotic was any more guilty than any of the others involved from any of the parks...
SPOILER ALERT - Tiger King

Certainly some sad characters. There were a lot people living on the edge of criminality. I'd be worried if I was the new husband of the woman running the Cat rescue. Multi millionaire blokes don't just disappear and there must be another story in his frequent flights to Costa rica without any flight plans. I'm sure the DEA would have been well aware of what happened to him.
I can't be the only one that laughed when out of the blue, they played the cctv of Joe's Hubby as he popped a cap in his swede while fvcking about with his glock demonstrating to the chubby that the weapon is safe with the mag off.
What does arrse think about the bit where Joe was mauled whilst filming a TV commercial and later claimed that his boots had been spiked with something to attract the cats? It seems odd that all the years experience he had around them he had never been attacked like that and the cat did appear fixated on his one foot.
I'm inclined to believe it was the dodgy redneck ex con who was key in setting Joe up for his current incarceration.
Even the professional documentary producer that became embroiled with the bloke came off looking as dodgy as your hat.
All in all, a weird but entertaining series.

You kind of can't help but like Joe Exotic. Certainly there's something off or sinister about Carole Baskin and her Husband

danielwayne

Clanker
Deadwood.
Banshee.
Spartacus.
True Detective.
Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

You don't want to know what I have been seeing with my girl.

Watched the first two episodes of Gordon, Gino and Fred:Road Trip last night (ITV, Thursdays 9pm).

Apparently Series 2 although I never knew there was a Series 1 (rarely anything worth watching on ITV).

Gordon Ramsey and two other blokes teararsing around Mexico and America just being blokey and laddish.

Bit like TG with cooking (but there is very little cooking/food in it).

Ramsey is, well Ramsey, committed to being uber-bloke. Fred Sirieix is relastively, errh, serious. Gino D'Acampo seems to be a bit of a loose cannon - he is the one who would get you banged up at the end of a major night out.

Maybe not everybody's cuppa but they made me laugh and that is a pretty rare commodity these days (apart from the endless recycling of Peep Show).

Snowfall

Got mentioned up the thread

Any good?

Seems to get mixed reviews based on the wikipedia page.

I can download all three series on Sky/iPlayer but I am reluctant to commit that much of my life to something shite.

Where does it fit on a scale of 1-10 (The Bill -> The Shield)

philc

LE
Snowfall

Got mentioned up the thread

Any good?

Seems to get mixed reviews based on the wikipedia page.

I can download all three series on Sky/iPlayer but I am reluctant to commit that much of my life to something shite.

Where does it fit on a scale of 1-10 (The Bill -> The Shield)
I enjoy it, consider it an add on to Narcos & Pablo Escabar, the story of Crack coke and the CIA.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
For the second time in my life here is advance warning of something worth watching.

Red Dwarf: The Promised Land. A full length feature film RD. All the original actors (including the two Hollies) and written by the original writers.

Dave, 9pm Thursday 9th April.
Watched it and it was largely as funny as taking a diving boot to the swingers. I say that as a fan of the show (series I-VII). A few chuckles but jokes telegraphed a mile out.

Aware that I'm hugely in the minority according to Twitter.

Latest Threads